Car Tint Film

This is my first post on Thaivisa, so forgive me in case I violate any protocols... :o

I'm in the market for a new car and am looking for the coolest possible tint film. Cool not as in :D , but as in "low temperatures"...

I refuse to endanger lives by completely blocking out all light, so I'm probably looking for something like 40-50% film.

Has anyone made good experience with a particular type of film that keeps his car unusually cool? If so, i'd much appreciate if you could point me in the right direction please.

Cheers Beat

Edited by beattheswiss
  • Haha 1

This is my first post on Thaivisa, so forgive me in case I violate any protocols... :o

I'm in the market for a new car and am looking for the coolest possible tint film. Cool not as in :D , but as in "low temperatures"...

I refuse to endanger lives by completely blocking out all light, so I'm probably looking for something like 40-50% film.

Has anyone made good experience with a particular type of film that keeps his car unusually cool? If so, i'd much appreciate if you could point me in the right direction please.

Cheers Beat

When I recently bought my new vehicle they offered me 3M film on the windows at either 60% or 40% light absorbtion. I chose the 40% and am happy with it. I chose this primarily as I drive on mountain roads and at night need to see out the side window when driving around corners and the 40% more than blocks enough light. The 60% would probably make cornering difficult.

Artamus

Thanks for your input. Tell me, does the 3M film keep you noticeably cool? Does it slow down heat build-up while the car is parked in the sun?

Cheers Beat

Cheers Beat

When I recently bought my new vehicle they offered me 3M film on the windows at either 60% or 40% light absorbtion. I chose the 40% and am happy with it. I chose this primarily as I drive on mountain roads and at night need to see out the side window when driving around corners and the 40% more than blocks enough light. The 60% would probably make cornering difficult.

Hi beattheswiss, welcome to Thaivisa forum! I agree with you 100% that a heavy tint makes driving dangerous. I've currently got Hi-Kool film on my wish - that's as far as I'll go towards a recommendation. I had 3M on my previous car - the same 40% tint - I couldn't tell the difference between the two, though. Tinting is great for driving in the sun.

As far as tinting reducing or slowing down heat build up in your car - not really! I think that tinting only cuts out UV rays which reduces sun-fading your seats and console and reduces eye-strain when driving in the sun. My physics isn't up to scratch but I think that although tinting reflects some of the sun's energy, the glass still absorbs heat. My car interior is always 50 degrees celcius, the glass is always hot to touch, after I park it outside on a sunny day - the film may slow this down somewhat but I can't say I've ever tested it. The only way you could ever return to a 'cool' car parked outside on a hot day would be to a) leave the air-con on or b)leave the windows open - both of which are stupid ideas and your car would be stolen.

The real solutions to reducing heat build up, or rather the speed at which heat builds up, would be

1) a simple silver windscreen cover (from any supermarket etc) which fits outside the window under the wipers

2) a fabric dashboard cover which may absorb some heat and also protect your dash from fading and cracking

3) somehow filling door and roof cavities with styrofoam or insulation - that's a bit far-fetched though!

I'd be interested if anyone does know of any film which keeps a car unusually cool.

Cheers

Edited by aussiebebe

Cheers Beat

I can only tell you this: Do not go with 60% film!

I did just that with my first car thinking it looked way cool - and it did IMHO :D .

It was also very comfortable for the eyes when the sun was out.

But the first time I drove the car at night I found out I had made a huge mistake: I could hardly see through the side and rear windows.

Every time I came to an intesection I had to roll down the side windows in order to be sure there was no crossing traffic.

I quickly switched to 40% film.

Probably the colour of the car would have more effect on heat. I have a silver car - can't remember the tint, 40 or 60%. It's quite dark at nite, but at busy corners I wind the window down until I'm into the traffic. Regular driving it's ok. Do like the old cooper 's and paint the roof white:) I had a gold car previously with less tint and it was definately hotter after being parked in the sun. Light coloured car, darkish tint and shading the windows should keep it cooler.

Hi beattheswiss, welcome to Thaivisa forum! I agree with you 100% that a heavy tint makes driving dangerous. I've currently got Hi-Kool film on my wish - that's as far as I'll go towards a recommendation. I had 3M on my previous car - the same 40% tint - I couldn't tell the difference between the two, though. Tinting is great for driving in the sun.

As far as tinting reducing or slowing down heat build up in your car - not really! I think that tinting only cuts out UV rays which reduces sun-fading your seats and console and reduces eye-strain when driving in the sun. My physics isn't up to scratch but I think that although tinting reflects some of the sun's energy, the glass still absorbs heat. My car interior is always 50 degrees celcius, the glass is always hot to touch, after I park it outside on a sunny day - the film may slow this down somewhat but I can't say I've ever tested it. The only way you could ever return to a 'cool' car parked outside on a hot day would be to a) leave the air-con on or b)leave the windows open - both of which are stupid ideas and your car would be stolen.

The real solutions to reducing heat build up, or rather the speed at which heat builds up, would be

1) a simple silver windscreen cover (from any supermarket etc) which fits outside the window under the wipers

2) a fabric dashboard cover which may absorb some heat and also protect your dash from fading and cracking

3) somehow filling door and roof cavities with styrofoam or insulation - that's a bit far-fetched though!

I'd be interested if anyone does know of any film which keeps a car unusually cool.

Cheers

Agree with this 100%. However, protecting the console is not generally an option as they would not usually apply this film to the front windscreen (which would be pretty dangerous in my opinion).

Hi Aussie! Thanks for your good explanations. I do use a thick and heavy silver windshield cover and find that it makes a huge difference. However, I spread it across the inside rather than outside. Come to think of it, it probably would help to add a cheap one on the outside to keep the glass temperature low.

Wind deflectors (rain guards) on the side windows are great for keeping the interior reasonably cool too - if you keep the windows open a tad, that is :o

Does anyone have experience with reflective tint film, the stuff that is silver color on the outside?

Cheers Beat

Cheers

Interesting! You mean it's mirror effect on the windscreen too? Is mirror effect better than regular film at keeping the heat out? 60% is real dark though for driving at night...

Did mine with Lumina 60% Mirror effect side and rear, 40% on windscreen, has made a heap of difference, cost about 6k to do

Interesting! You mean it's mirror effect on the windscreen too? Is mirror effect better than regular film at keeping the heat out? 60% is real dark though for driving at night...
Did mine with Lumina 60% Mirror effect side and rear, 40% on windscreen, has made a heap of difference, cost about 6k to do

the windscreen is just normal film, the sides and back mirror, its quiet fine for driving at night i have found.

It all depends on what type of film that you have...

My mate has lamina 80% on the sides and they are very very very dark, actually they are black...

I have Lumina 80% on the side and 60% in front, that cools down the car, at daytime you can not see inn but at nighttime you see inn...

As for keeping the car cold in Thailand, forget it, it will be warm unless you park in a very cold place (if you can find it)...

Previous suggestions has been to buy a thing to put in the front window, that should stop the sun but it will still be warm... Try to leave the windows open for some air to come in, it will still be warm...

Only suggestion I have, get your aircon on or drive with your window down...

Most locals just park in the shade. It's really that simple. Direct sunlight on a parked car will heat things up pretty fast. Driving with tinted windows you need to open to see out at night is unsafe, and maybe illegal (anyone confirm laws here)? Certainly darned silly imho.

Also buying a dark colored car doesn't help. Why do people buy black in the tropics?

I have Lumina 80% on the side and 60% in front, that cools down the car, at daytime you can not see inn but at nighttime you see inn...

none of these "films" have the ability to cool down a car. they only delay the heat built-up for a certain time. a car with the darkest available mirror film will heat up as much as any regular car after been parked in the sun for an hour.

Probably the colour of the car would have more effect on heat. I have a silver car - can't remember the tint, 40 or 60%. It's quite dark at nite, but at busy corners I wind the window down until I'm into the traffic. Regular driving it's ok.

I would describe busy corners as part of regular driving....

Don't you think your film is way too dark, if you need to wind down the windows at night???

I had 60 % on my Vigo - yes looking cool - but after the first drive at night I got it removed. Much too dangerous at night!

I've used, and amazingly (for Thailand) the price has actually correlated with the effectiveness of the tint:

V-Kool: 18k, light tint, almost clear, with a little bit of blue... was really really good at keeping the heat at bay. I can imagine if it was darker, it would even be more effective

Lamina: 40% front, 60% around... 5,500k I think was the price. Works very well for the price. I would recommend it (as long as it's the real thing - which is just one other thing that you can never know in Thailand, even tints can be fake).

Hi-Kool 40% all around... works ok, not as good as Lamina, but that may be down to the 60% on the Lamina car - actually I take that back, I have another car with Hi-Kool 40 front 60 all around and it's still not as good as the Lamina (also the color of the Lamina is better in my opinion... the dark is more, well... dark. Hi-Kools dark 60% just doesn't look as good, period. I haven't seen V-Kool's dark dark tint, but I say Lamina's dark looks good mafia-style.

So if you wanted to pay around 3-4 times more, go for V-Kool... if it's real. But I would recommend Lamina as reasonable priced and reasonably good at keeping the heat at bay.

And yes, the dark 60% can get dark at night... I'll open windows etc to get better views at intersections - but I don't mind doing that, and it's awesome during daytime driving... plus it just looks good... and it's nice and private! If this car's a rockin, don't come a knockin :o

edit: forgot to mention price of the Hi-Kool: 3,500k IIRC.

Edited by jcon

• 1 year later...

We just had the whole car done in 3M. Its an SUV so a bit more glass and after a bit of negotiation it was 5K in Bangkok.

Heat in a cabin comes in through the windows and has little to do with the colour of the car. although we chose a white car this time over silver.

Its common sense to not get the blackest tint if you live in rural area and drive after 6:00pm. You wouldn't wear dark sunglasses at night.

Don't get too bogged down with 40% or 60% the guys in the shop can advise you. We have a mix, the front is different from the sides. We have a slight mirror effect. There may even be other cars you can choose from at the shop. Its much better to see it on the car.

I agree with what most other posters say.

Last car was 40% on the front/rear and 60% on the sides. Very good during sunny days, but too dark for safe night driving. Current car is 40% all around, still good for keeping out the blinding sun and good for night driving. Basically a rule of thumb I have seen is that cars with 60% (or more) you can not see who is driving, 40% or less you can still make out the occupants.

It should also be noted that I've been told that the maximum allowed tint is 40% if you plan to drive into Malaysia.

Last car was 40% on the front/rear and 60% on the sides. Very good during sunny days, but too dark for safe night driving. Current car is 40% all around, still good for keeping out the blinding sun and good for night driving. Basically a rule of thumb I have seen is that cars with 60% (or more) you can not see who is driving, 40% or less you can still make out the occupants.

It should also be noted that I've been told that the maximum allowed tint is 40% if you plan to drive into Malaysia.

The law in Thailand also states maximum 40%.I remember some years ago that they had a crackdown-where have I heard that word before?-on the tinted windows in Bangkok.

For me I always have my cars done at 40% and the windshield only a sunvisor at he top if there isn't one integrated yet from the manufacturer.

welcome........

probably the first newbie in a long time who did not register to post a gripe or troll comment - rare !

To answer ur question, dont go too dark. The wife made her car too dark - great in the day time, but its hard to drive at night, especially when it rains or less optimal conditions. Would say less than 40% is better

Edited by skippybangkok

welcome........

probably the first newbie in a long time who did not register to post a gripe or troll comment - rare !

To answer ur question, dont go too dark. The wife made her car too dark - great in the day time, but its hard to drive at night, especially when it rains or less optimal conditions. Would say less than 40% is better

We took delivery of a brand new toyota 2.5 pre runner pickup in January and tinted windows were a freebie along with plastic truck liner , for me, the windows are too dark . I have to wind the side windows down , to see the mirrors clearly to reverse, also with the side windows so dark , there is always a reflection of the dash on the drivers side window when looking into the mirror from the driving position . I am thinking it would be far safer to have the 40% tint on the side windows

I also have Lumina Tint, 60% mirror effect on the sides, and rear window, and regular Lumina Tint 40% on the front wind screen. Works great. The only thing when parking in an underground garage, backing up I roll down both front windows. No problems seeing at night.

Barry

One thing you need to bear in mind is that all brands are not equal - some are visibly darker than others even with the same grade.

Over the years I've tried various brands/grades, but settled on 3M reflective tint for my newest car - 40% on the front windshield (full coverage) and 60% on the rest. My wife and I can see just fine in all conditions with it. The only time we really notice it is on overcast days, when it always feels a couple of hours later than actual :)

Age is probably also a factor I guess - everyone's night vision will degrade given enough time so that should also be a consideration, especially if you're in the 50+ bracket - I'd probably recommend 20% front, and 40% all-round in that case.

Excuse my ignorance...

I am in the process of ordering a new Nissan March. The cars in the showroom all have lightly tinted windows and the salesman confirmed that this is how my car will arrive. Do all the cars that people are talking about already come with a light tint and the film is added in ADDITION to that, or do all of these vehicles come as standard with clear untinted windows? As I said - excuse my ignorance... :)

Excuse my ignorance...

I am in the process of ordering a new Nissan March. The cars in the showroom all have lightly tinted windows and the salesman confirmed that this is how my car will arrive. Do all the cars that people are talking about already come with a light tint and the film is added in ADDITION to that, or do all of these vehicles come as standard with clear untinted windows? As I said - excuse my ignorance... :)

Yes, in addition to whever the car comes with from the factory (most have some form of basic tint standard).

Excuse my ignorance...

Yes, in addition to whever the car comes with from the factory (most have some form of basic tint standard).

Thank you for that!

In my former business, I use to drive backwards most of the day and only had 2-3 inches of clearance on each side of my flatbed trucks. Using full-size side mirrors is great, but I'd also recommend opening the side windows enough to view the side mirrors and so you can 'hear' if you hit something or hear someone yell, just in case (oh yeah, doesn't help if you have stereo on LOUD :).

Take care.

P.S. In regards to the tint, in hot climates, I also like the dark tint on the back and sides only, but I am sure to open the windows when approaching an intersection or backing up. For the front, having it no lower than the bottom of the front visor also helps when you have to drive into the sun. On my motorcycle helmet I use black electric tape on the screen as riding into the sun can blind you and make for hazardous riding.

The 'factory' tint is within the glass. Your dealer or other after-market vendor can install tint on top of this. If done right, it will last years before sometimes changing shades. If not, there will be bubbles (now or sometimes just a few months later) and look like it was installed by your neighbors grammer school kid :D If you are not happy with the after-market tint, it can be easily removed and another shade installed.

Enjoy your new car!!!

Edited by losgrad

The law in Thailand also states maximum 40%.I remember some years ago that they had a crackdown-where have I heard that word before?-on the tinted windows in Bangkok.

For me I always have my cars done at 40% and the windshield only a sunvisor at he top if there isn't one integrated yet from the manufacturer.

Can't believe TV are allowing a thread about something illegal to carry on.

none of these "films" have the ability to cool down a car. they only delay the heat built-up for a certain time. a car with the darkest available mirror film will heat up as much as any regular car after been parked in the sun for an hour.

Yeah but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears Naam, so do a short test buy a white bucket and a balck bucket, stick em in the sun for 5 minutes and see which is coolest then go out and buy a white car :D

Naam will like this , why not buy bigger wheels to raise your car higher off the ground that'll help this "cool air" go underneath the car :)