Fish Farming - Mixture In One Pond

bubbaba

I have finally got to the point with my pond where I want to stock it. Fish will be for recreational fishing and family food. My pond is small, approximately 40 meters by 25 meters, or slightly smaller. What mixture of fish work best together in a small pond? For eating I like pla top tim, pla duk, and pla chon. I really like to eat most fish but these three I know about. What kind of fish in Thailand is good for a small pond and fun to catch on cane pole or light tackle and to eat? Do they have anything here in Thailand like the small "sun perch" or "brim" in America? These small fish are usually mixed in a pond with large mouth bass. Both good eating. Please advise me what is best. Good ideas, bad ideas, etc.

I have finally got to the point with my pond where I want to stock it. Fish will be for recreational fishing and family food. My pond is small, approximately 40 meters by 25 meters, or slightly smaller. What mixture of fish work best together in a small pond? For eating I like pla top tim, pla duk, and pla chon. I really like to eat most fish but these three I know about. What kind of fish in Thailand is good for a small pond and fun to catch on cane pole or light tackle and to eat? Do they have anything here in Thailand like the small "sun perch" or "brim" in America? These small fish are usually mixed in a pond with large mouth bass. Both good eating. Please advise me what is best. Good ideas, bad ideas, etc.

We have the black Pla nin, tuptim & Pla duk, as well as Pla Suay (which grow big & look like sharks:-) These all coexist very happily together. The Nin & Tuptim breed like billio, they have also interbred between the varieties producing most attractive orange & black offspring. I am certainly no expert, but I'm fairly sure if you had Pla chon in with others, they would eat up any youngsters your tuptim will eventually produce.

We have the black Pla nin, tuptim & Pla duk, as well as Pla Suay (which grow big & look like sharks:-) These all coexist very happily together. The Nin & Tuptim breed like billio, they have also interbred between the varieties producing most attractive orange & black offspring. I am certainly no expert, but I'm fairly sure if you had Pla chon in with others, they would eat up any youngsters your tuptim will eventually produce.

What does "billio" mean. Breed like rabbits?? Is Pla Suay good to eat? Do you have any experience catching them, any of them, on a hook and line? Thank you for responding.

What does "billio" mean. Breed like rabbits?? Is Pla Suay good to eat? Do you have any experience catching them, any of them, on a hook and line? Thank you for responding.

LOL....Yes, 'billio' is an old one, means 'like hel_l, very much etc' The Plasuay are a very 'meaty' fish, good to eat, the locals around here love them, as they are especially good for making tomyam. I have found the Suay easy to catch on a hook & line as they are a 'greedy' fish & take the bait readily, Pladuk, likewise, the Tilapia not so forthcoming, but also very 'catchable' . There is a local guy comes around to our house nearly every night after work, his 'passion' fishing with a hook & line, he spends 2-3 hours by our pool, leaving well after dark; whatever he catches he gives us, he does it soley for the enjoyment.

LOL....Yes, 'billio' is an old one, means 'like hel_l, very much etc' The Plasuay are a very 'meaty' fish, good to eat, the locals around here love them, as they are especially good for making tomyam. I have found the Suay easy to catch on a hook & line as they are a 'greedy' fish & take the bait readily, Pladuk, likewise, the Tilapia not so forthcoming, but also very 'catchable' . There is a local guy comes around to our house nearly every night after work, his 'passion' fishing with a hook & line, he spends 2-3 hours by our pool, leaving well after dark; whatever he catches he gives us, he does it soley for the enjoyment.

Hello again. Thank you for the information. I like to fish everyday like that too. Especially with a simple cane pole, hook, sinker, etc. But I eat them. Since fish is basically the only meat I eat, I eat fish almost every day. Do you live anywhere near Korat area? My wife and I would like to see other ponds if some members live near enough.

"Billio" is an old one - I should have known that - I'm an old one too 555555555. My wife say - you sooooo oollllldd. Thank you.

Hello again. Thank you for the information. I like to fish everyday like that too. Especially with a simple cane pole, hook, sinker, etc. But I eat them. Since fish is basically the only meat I eat, I eat fish almost every day. Do you live anywhere near Korat area? My wife and I would like to see other ponds if some members live near enough.

"Billio" is an old one - I should have known that - I'm an old one too 555555555. My wife say - you sooooo oollllldd. Thank you.

Stay away from Fruity's place. If you don't get rained on my giant frogs then he has over 1/4 ton hogs on the loose, get away from all that and you may fall in his pond and be set upon by shark looking types of fish. Beware of who you meet on this forum. He's breeding more of these monsterous hog beasts so you could be chased by nearly a dozen and half at a time (And that is just ONE LITTER!!!!). Fruity also has a brand new batch of giant bullfrogs that are breeding size and I'd try to get a few pairs if I were you (we did) and breed them outside the pond and then introduce them at different stages of their life cycle so that the pond will give you many forms of pleasure and sustanence. When you head back to the other world try to find some fishing line that is 2 LB test and buy a couple of very very cheap small spinning reels and the lightest finest tip rods you can find. Bait them up andf give them to your Thai wife or some young kids and their is nothing more fun than watching them get the thrill that many big time game fishing fisherman feel when headiing out into the ocean for trophies. Nothing like the thrill of that fish screaming off line against a slight drag and the tingle of it shaking the line and the rod. Truly magic. Enjoy.

Stay away from Fruity's place. If you don't get rained on my giant frogs then he has over 1/4 ton hogs on the loose, get away from all that and you may fall in his pond and be set upon by shark looking types of fish. Beware of who you meet on this forum. He's breeding more of these monsterous hog beasts so you could be chased by nearly a dozen and half at a time (And that is just ONE LITTER!!!!). Fruity also has a brand new batch of giant bullfrogs that are breeding size and I'd try to get a few pairs if I were you (we did) and breed them outside the pond and then introduce them at different stages of their life cycle so that the pond will give you many forms of pleasure and sustanence. When you head back to the other world try to find some fishing line that is 2 LB test and buy a couple of very very cheap small spinning reels and the lightest finest tip rods you can find. Bait them up andf give them to your Thai wife or some young kids and their is nothing more fun than watching them get the thrill that many big time game fishing fisherman feel when headiing out into the ocean for trophies. Nothing like the thrill of that fish screaming off line against a slight drag and the tingle of it shaking the line and the rod. Truly magic. Enjoy.

HELP - I have been trying to google up "pla suay" with no luck. I would like to read about this fish. I would also like to see a photo of this fish. Is it part of the family of fish refered to as: Pangasiidae (shark catfishes)? How big does it get.

HELP - I have been trying to google up "pla suay" with no luck. I would like to read about this fish. I would also like to see a photo of this fish. Is it part of the family of fish refered to as: Pangasiidae (shark catfishes)? How big does it get.

Pla suay are a member of the catfish family, I do know that much. The next time theres one taken from our pool I'll take a pic of it. These fish are often to be seen in the markets, I'm sure your wife can point them out to you. Theres obviously got to be a size limit & a time when they simply stop growing, but in my experience these fish just keep on growing steadily throughout their lifetime, we have had 5-6 kilo fish from our pool.

Foreverford............hahahahahaha, you have just given me an idea, I'm going to have a sign painted up & stick it on the gates "Hogs n Frogs"........lol