A Cat Attacked My Partner

loubrockbank

as funny as this sounds its true.

we took our puppy - a 3 month old shy shihtzu for a walk tonight, and suddenly a cat came hissing and running towards us. being a bit startled dan (boyfriend) grabbed the dog and lifted her up. Honestly I have never seen a cat act like this.

it literllay wrapped itself round dans leg, bit and scratched him, not sure if it was going to jump up but it must have seen me next to him and went for me....

now... we are big animal lovers but this cat was not playing but attacking us and was ging for me so dan 'hoofed' ie kicked the cat to get it off us. not nice but necessary. it was ok as it ran a bloomin mile.

the cat is collared and we have seen it b4 at a local restuarant with other cats so we know where it comes from. we also noticed that there were kittens there so maybe this was a protective thing...but we didnt touch them didnt even notice the thing there till it was hissing and clinging onto dan by its mouth! im just glad it wasnt a child passing by.

anyway...... we went straight to patong hospital as its made a mess of his leg, and were worried about rabies etc so dan ended up getting 5 injections and a load of pills...we got charged 6000 bt for this, and are being told we need to go back for 4 more injections over the next few weeks.

just wanting to get out we paid it, but when we thought about it and look ed at the reciept it said this was for medicine, on 1st looks we thought hang on we can get these pills for 200 bt from the chemist so went back.

the lady gave us a breakdown and turns out the pills were cheap so thats ok but it was the actual injections that were the bulk. I managed to get 3000 bt back but just think this is a lot....has anyone else had to pay this?

also do u think its worth going to this resturaunt tommorow to see the owner of the cats, dan is furious and wants him to foot some of the bill if the cat hasnt had injections, and to be honest im the same.

i understand the cat may have attacked us out of being protective but its a busy beach where many go .

anyway no laughing :o

You would be right to go to the restaurant and inform them about the cat, show them the damage and the bill. I doubt you will get money out of them but it's worth a go anyway.

The bill itself is extortionate. I can't remember exactly how much I paid when I got bitten by a dog but it was more in the region of 300 baht. I did get my money back and compensation from the owner but that was only because there were loads of witnesses, including the owner and my partner (who is a Lawyer) demanded it in front of all.

also do u think its worth going to this resturaunt tommorow to see the owner of the cats, dan is furious and wants him to foot some of the bill if the cat hasnt had injections, and to be honest im the same.

Don't waste your time, just make sure he gets *his* follow up rabies injections.

Is it possible that the cat, or its owner, is somehow commercially-connected to the hospital ? :o

But seriously, glad Dan's OK, and you took the sensible precaution. I well remember a friend's feelings, after being bitten by a dog in the Middle-East, until the results of the rabies-test on its head came back negative, we having machine-gunned the dog, to obtain the sample. Sorry Nienke ! :D

You would be right to go to the restaurant and inform them about the cat, show them the damage and the bill. I doubt you will get money out of them but it's worth a go anyway.

The bill itself is extortionate. I can't remember exactly how much I paid when I got bitten by a dog but it was more in the region of 300 baht. I did get my money back and compensation from the owner but that was only because there were loads of witnesses, including the owner and my partner (who is a Lawyer) demanded it in front of all.

honestly, why bother?

Wow - that's horrible. Hope he's doing ok.

It is, of course, just another piece of the already abundant evidence that cats are inherently and incurably evil :o

To cheer you up:

Excerpts from a Dog's Diary...

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 pm - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Diary .

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. B*stards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe ................ For now

I know in the UK that dogs are regarded as domesticated and they used to have a license (37.5p or something !) but cats are regarded as wild and thus, not under the control of anyone.

As for the OP, you say you have a puppy. From that I interpret that you live here. If you live here you know that hospitals are scam artists who bloat any bill they think they can get away with. Thus, before being given any treatment, you should have ascertained the cost.

My thoughts are that they probably thought you were tourists either with insurance or with ignorantly deep pockets. I see you are in Phuket, rip off central in many ways.

Having potentially established that you live here, just what do you think you can achieve by aggravating the restaurant ? You might end up with a bill from them !

Seriously though, whilst your sentiment is just, your knowledge of Thai ways, particularly relating to westerners seems very limited. Do you actually think that going to a restaurant and complaining about a cat is going to get you back some of the absurdly high fees you rather stupidly paid the hospital ?

I am sorry for your predicament honestly and as a father of an 18 month old daughter I appreciate your comments about the cat attacking children. Maybe you can run it over in your car ?

A friend in BKK was bitten by a dog and the police talked to the dog's owner. The entire treatment--rabies shots etc, was close to 10,000 baht--and that was paid by the owner of the dog, who was Thai.

I have 3 cats and 2 of them fight with each other--not so much any more, but a few years back, they were pretty negative towards each other. I once grabbed one of them, who then tore into me. I wasn't worried about rabies since my cats are inside animals. I did, however, end up sicker than hel_l and had to take antibiotics.

Cat wounds are particularly prone to a host of infections.

Rabies ? Watch it.

Guess Dan is nice, i would have done the Linda Blair 360 degree head spin trick on it.

Thats some good Aussie advice. Theres another famous Australian who sings a song about a cat, the songs called, "That f_kcin cats back" by Kevin Bloody Wilson....good song, perhaps you could get a copy for dan. :o

Here I've attached a link to the song:

http://properlaughs.com/kevin-bloody-wilso...ng-cat-is-back/

Was it a siamese cat breed?

There the one of the few breeds that are tough and bulky enough to take on dogs and some humans.

A tomcat scratched me as a kid unprovoked when I was in a field

Had a cat at our apartment with kittens, didn't mind any of us touching them too much, and never attacked.

I'd put this down to the dog trespassing on the cats turf more than anything.

My ex-farang wife had a Siamese cat. I never much liked that cat. One day my wife's mother came over and that cat launched itself and landed right in the middle of her back. The cat was hissing, biting and scratching. Mother in law said she would never come back as long as we had that cat. I took good care of that cat after that.

I know in the UK that dogs are regarded as domesticated and they used to have a license (37.5p or something !) but cats are regarded as wild and thus, not under the control of anyone.

Same in Belgium and I think also like this in most European countries.

Same is some US states (saw it on "Peoples' Court") , "wild by nature" or something similar.

Here's a video illustrating the event.

anyone who put a cat on a leach is an complete utter idiot. Should put him on a leach and dragging him around town.

And maybe the actual cat.

Angry cat

That poor cat was terrified, you simply can't put a cat in a cave.

I had a tomcat for 19 years, I took him to an Cat hotel for a week once, he refused to eat till I picked him up. He was so angry with me that he attacked me, he didn't give me an eye for more than a week. My wife on the otherhand was treated very nicely, because she didn't take him away.

Every real cat lover knows that he is not the owner but only the servant of the master in the house.

Needles to say I'm a great cat lover.

You can borrow one of my dogs as a body guard.The cat wont be able to touch you and would not be able to walk home again.Broken neck syndrome.

Once I saw a cat(who had kittens) attacked a German Sheppard who entered her territory, the dog was wounded all over.