Photograph For Uk Passport Application

MACAHOO

Has anyone recently applied for a British passport?

The latest requirements for the photograph are very strict and specific, and I’m wondering where in Phuket I can have such a photograph taken.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes, tricky problem. I needed a new UK passport late 2007. Tried a photo shop in Chalong, they say no problem we know what to do. Then when go British Embassy in Bangkok photos no good. But no problem, go over to mall almost opposite UK embassy and get correct photo format in about 10 minutes.

Yes, tricky problem. I needed a new UK passport late 2007. Tried a photo shop in Chalong, they say no problem we know what to do. Then when go British Embassy in Bangkok photos no good. But no problem, go over to mall almost opposite UK embassy and get correct photo format in about 10 minutes.

Thanks for that LivinginKata, but I'm applying for my passport by post from Phuket.

If I have to go to Bangkok because of a stupid photo, I will not be amused!

Anyone else?

Thanks for that LivinginKata, but I'm applying for my passport by post from Phuket.

Anyone else?

White background mandatory (I understand for the facial recognition software) Better you check their website for photo size.

Check the website for the requirements, and after that go to Fuji at Chalong Circle. I had the same problem (Dutch passport, can not be done by post BTW), and we simply set by the computer together and made the picture exactly to requirements.

Anyone else?

I renewed my British Passport by post from Phuket a few months ago. No problems and took about 2 weeks from day of posting. Used a Kodak shop in Sai Nam Yen road in Patong for the pics. They knew exactly what to do and that they had to have a white background. You have your pic taken wearing anything like a Tshirt then they photoshop it to make it look like you're wearing a suit and tie! Sent the money using a money order from the post office and was surprised when my new passport came nback to find a few 100 baht in it the Embassy had said I'd overpaid!

Phuketrex - This is the sort of reply I was looking for. Thank you!

You say, "Used a Kodak shop in Sai Nam Yen road in Patong for the pics." Could you kindly be more specific on exactly where the Kodak shop is, in case I go to Patong tomorrow and there are several Kodak shops on that road?

Light background and even lighting. Make sure the flashes are at face level rather than up the top as they'll reject them if there are shadows. Getting a British passport is a pain in the arse these days, though some people seem to find it easy...

I got a passport for my newborn last year. Printed photo from my computer. Send to Bangkok by E.M.S.

Came back a few weeks later. No proplems. Just stick to the requirements asked. If you are unsure, phone the Embassy in Bangkok they will help you.

Good Luck!!

Phuketrex - This is the sort of reply I was looking for. Thank you!

You say, "Used a Kodak shop in Sai Nam Yen road in Patong for the pics." Could you kindly be more specific on exactly where the Kodak shop is, in case I go to Patong tomorrow and there are several Kodak shops on that road?

If you're coming down Sai Nam Yen road past the hospital on your left down to the x-roads with RatUThit road it's about 50 yards before the x-roads on the left...there's a 7-11 opposite.

I got a passport for my newborn last year. Printed photo from my computer. Send to Bangkok by E.M.S.

Came back a few weeks later. No proplems. Just stick to the requirements asked. If you are unsure, phone the Embassy in Bangkok they will help you.

No need to phone... all info about photo here. http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/downloads/photos.pdf

A kodak shop or something similar should be able to do the photo no problems.

In Thailand are you not forced to have the back of one photo countersigned?

I just made the renewal application for my passport this week in Singapore with both signed so no problem. Bloke in front had his application form countersigned but not the photo, the conversation that followed with the lady behid the counter was stupid but funny:

Lady "At least one of you photo's needs to be countersigned"

Man "I called the embassy this morning and checked that and they said it does not, just the form"

Lady "no the photo needs to be countersigned also"

Man "Turn the photo over please, does that not look like me?"

Lady "Oh yes I can see it is you in the photo"

Man "Do I still need to get someone to say that this is me in the photo"

Lady "Yes"

Man "You just said that it is me, can you do it"

Lady "No, I don't know you"

Man "Can i go outside and get anyone to sign it and bring it back"

Lady "Yes that would be fine"

I mean come on!! Whats the point....

Is it only in the UK that they require this countersignature nonsense?

The counter sign is only required for a first time UK passport. Not required for UK passport renewal.

P.S. and the person signing must be a suitable person, like a JP, Doctor, person of some public standing. Not just some one off the street or a relative.

Edited by LivinginKata

The counter sign is only required for a first time UK passport. Not required for UK passport renewal.

P.S. and the person signing must be a suitable person, like a JP, Doctor, person of some public standing. Not just some one off the street or a relative.

No for a renewal you still need a countersignature on the application form to confirm that the info you provided is correct and a countersignature on the photo that it is a true likeness of the applicant. Renewal or not you should have them signed, even if you are submitting your old possport in the case of a renewal. I just renewed on Tuesday in Singapore and it was being enforced. I would think that is was enforced in Bangkok also.

The person signing should be minimum: British or Commonwealth citizen , have a degree or other professional qualification and known you for 2 years. But when you are outside the UK they are flexible on this as it may not be possible, so they will take a local who holds a degree who knows you, so pretty much you can get anyone as long as it is not a relative, just as long as it is signed

Iwent to an approved passport photo booth. Set up the seat to the correct height and took 4 pictures. I cut the pics in half and sent off 2 attached together. I got a letter back saying the photo's had been rejected because of 1 either looking up or down, 2 looking left or right, 3 not looking centre yet did not say which. I simply cut the returned pictures that were joined together and returned them. I received my passport a few weeks later. GO FIGURE !!!!!

No for a renewal you still need a countersignature on the application form to confirm that the info you provided is correct and a countersignature on the photo that it is a true likeness of the applicant. Renewal or not you should have them signed, even if you are submitting your old possport in the case of a renewal. I just renewed on Tuesday in Singapore and it was being enforced. I would think that is was enforced in Bangkok also.

The person signing should be minimum: British or Commonwealth citizen , have a degree or other professional qualification and known you for 2 years. But when you are outside the UK they are flexible on this as it may not be possible, so they will take a local who holds a degree who knows you, so pretty much you can get anyone as long as it is not a relative, just as long as it is signed

Well, I've renewed my passport twice at the British Embassy in Bangkok and I have never had any sort of counter signature. All you need to provide is your exiting (about to expire) passport. That's all !!!

Well, I've renewed my passport twice at the British Embassy in Bangkok and I have never had any sort of counter signature. All you need to provide is your exiting (about to expire) passport. That's all !!!

It would seem that the British embassy in Bangkok is lacks about enforcing the rules then because you should have them. You never had a countersignature on the form and photo, or just the photo??

Personally I would not risk it, certainly with a mailed application that the OP wants to make.

It would seem that the British embassy in Bangkok is lacks about enforcing the rules then because you should have them. You never had a countersignature on the form and photo, or just the photo??

Nope... the only signature was mine on the application form. No signature on photo, no counter signature. Why should there be if a valid British passport is supporting the renewal application ???

Nope... the only signature was mine on the application form. No signature on photo, no counter signature. Why should there be if a valid British passport is supporting the renewal application ???

Because that is the way it is...

I agree with you and said earlier why do the UK have that stupid countersignature rule. But the rules clearly state you should have both signed. I really can't believe you did not even have the form countersigned and they still issued it!

Fact is they don't appear to be strict on the rules in Bangkok, but i would not risk it after hearing the conversation in Singapore on Tuesday. Only takes a change of staff and you get someone insisting on all things being done correct results in plenty of applications turned down.

I really can't believe you did not even have the form countersigned and they still issued it!

Twice, in 1997 and again in 2007 .... :D

It would appear that the rules are enforced in the different British embassy passport sections around the world the same as they are enforced in different Thai embassy visa sections around the world - they all have the same rule book, but make their own rules up on a country by country basis!! :D

Anyway, i would not risk it but you can basically get anyone to sign the darn things anyway, which kindof makes the whole process pointless which is the point at least we both agree on! :o

Oh roll on 6 o'clock and I can get out of this place called the office!!

There is no doubt that a countersignature, on both one of the submitted pics and on the application form itself, is required when renewing a UK passport.

I have the application form in front of me.

In fact, section 9 on the form, which is the field that requires the countersignature, states in bold, block capitals “THIS SECTION MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE COUNTERSIGNATORY.” The countersignatory, besides signing, is required to give name, professional qualification, address, passport number and telephone number.

It’s surprising LivinginKata successfully renewed his passport without this requirement.

It's surprising LivinginKata successfully renewed his passport without this requirement.

Twice ... :o Have to say I don't even remember seeing any reference to a counter signatory, but I'm very cavalier about official forms and just ignore the sections that seem nonsense (& intrusive) to me. Seems to always work out Ok for me.... :D

Ummm... I've just taken the trouble to look at Form C1 (application for passport) and sure enough section 10 must be completed by a counter signatory. I must have left that section blank ...... !!! And for sure my photos had no signature at all ... ??

A further thought ... after a lot of thinking I seem (??) to remember that the receiving official at the Embassy filled in section 10.

Edited by LivinginKata

I've renewed my passport twice once in BK and the other time in KL, on neither occasion was countersign required. I would imagine if you are traveling away from your home country getting someone who has known you for a couple of years would be a little impractical :D

On the other hand when we went to make a first time passport for the new kid I didn't bother with countersigning as it had not been a requirement when renewing my passport. The lady at the counter said we had to have the countersign but said any of the people waiting could do it :D Sure enough I asked a kind gentleman to to do it for me, even though we had never met before that moment and he didn't know the kid, and all was well.

So it seems that on renewal presenting your old passport is sufficient but when applying for a new passport the signature is required.

Cheers

(If the kind gentleman who signed my kids form at the Brittish Emassy a couple of months ago reads this forum thank you again and rest assured you will not be getting any maintainace requests :o

Cheers

Just looking at the C1 form now, and I think it's changed...

In the past (I got mine replaced end of 2007), you didn't need a countersignature unless it was a new passport or a replacement for a lost/stolen one (although I had heard of people being asked to provide a countersignature if the old passport photo page was damaged in any way.)

The current C1 that you download from the embassy seems to say the countersignature is required, but if you apply in UK, the ips website says a countersignature is not required for a renewal, so it's possible they've just changed the rules for embassy-issued passports.