Taxi - From New Airport Into Bangkok

Stuart8

So what is the normal meter taxi fare from Suvarnabhumi airport into the city? There are threads warning people of meters being accelerated and other such scams. I think it would be useful for people who had not yet used the new airport to know what they should expect as a fare. I have previously been into the old airport and have yet to use the new one. I seem to remember the taxi fare from / to the old airport was around 120 to 140 baht, depending on the hotel location.

The fare depends on the time of day, day of the week and where in Bangkok you are staying. I generally pay 200 baht for a fast trip to Saphan Kwai. I also pay the Tollway fees and give the driver a smile and a 50 baht tip.

Peter

current taximeter fares: 40 bt minimum-cover salso the first 2 km, after that 5-6 bt/km. so 30 kms comes to 30x5,5+30=just under 200 bt. then you add 1 bt/for every minute waiting-and the tolls and 50 bt airport surcharge.

For most of cental BLl places old DMaung was about 10 kms shorter.

as you likely know: BKK has no ''city'' or real centre, and the distance as such does not say very much for time needed.

Real distance Swampy-Sanam Luang is 33 kms.

So around double what I had previously experienced from the old airport at around 250 baht? Of course the distance and time will vary dependent on the precise location. If however a taxi driver was trying to charge 400+ baht then that would be excessive.

Important to know what the correct charge should be so that you can deal with any overcharging from a position of knowledge. It will further help in determining the true value of any other transport service which may be offered (e.g. hotel transfer charges).

400b would be the standard charges plus a fat tip.

From the airport taxi rank to the slip road at the end of Sukhumvit (the one where the fat policemen causes unnecessarily long queues turning left towards Soi 1) it is usually just under 200 baht. Add the 50 baht airport supplement. But it is also possible to waste 30 Baht in that very queue.

So what is the normal meter taxi fare from Suvarnabhumi airport into the city? There are threads warning people of meters being accelerated and other such scams. I think it would be useful for people who had not yet used the new airport to know what they should expect as a fare. I have previously been into the old airport and have yet to use the new one. I seem to remember the taxi fare from / to the old airport was around 120 to 140 baht, depending on the hotel location.

Between the 2 airports you can expect to pay around 300 baht or a little more. So figure it out from there with where you are going to. (This is minus the 50 baht charge, any tolls, and tips)...... Compare that with NYC, London, Stockholm, Tokyo, HK and it brings and instant smile to your face..... But for some kei-nils it is too much..... :o

Between the 2 airports you can expect to pay around 300 baht or a little more. So figure it out from there with where you are going to. (This is minus the 50 baht charge, any tolls, and tips)...... Compare that with NYC, London, Stockholm, Tokyo, HK and it brings and instant smile to your face..... But for some kei-nils it is too much..... :o

That is misleading. 300 baht between the airports it may be but that is going in the wrong direction. Furthermore I would not use a taxi to / from an airport in London as it is very expensive. I would use the train. This is not available in Bangkok. I therefore use a taxi which is the most cost effective method in that location.

It is clear that the normal fare to expect into Sukhumvit, Prutnam, etc. is around 250 baht. If the fare were to rise above 400 baht I would suspect tampering of the meter.

quoted........"Compare that with NYC, London, Stockholm, Tokyo, HK and it brings and instant smile to your face..."

................................................................................

Recently had used the service of a New York yellow taxi from the cruise port in lower Manhattan to JFK airport costed us $55. The flate rate is $45+toll+tip for about 45 minutes drive. Then again, you should think what people earn at $6.65 an hour for minimum wage compares to an average Thai earns 180-200 bahts a day.

quoted........"Compare that with NYC, London, Stockholm, Tokyo, HK and it brings and instant smile to your face..."

................................................................................

Recently had used the service of a New York yellow taxi from the cruise port in lower Manhattan to JFK airport costed us $55. The flate rate is $45+toll+tip for about 45 minutes drive. Then again, you should think what people earn at $6.65 an hour for minimum wage compares to an average Thai earns 180-200 bahts a day.

Oh, I see your point..... Only the business men in the Financial district use Manhattan taxis and not the causal tourist or visitor? Hmmmmmmmm

Me, earning the same wage where ever I travel in the world..... BKK taxi fares bring a smile to my face. Is that wrong of me for saying what makes me happy?

That is misleading. 300 baht between the airports it may be but that is going in the wrong direction. Furthermore I would not use a taxi to / from an airport in London as it is very expensive. I would use the train. This is not available in Bangkok. I therefore use a taxi which is the most cost effective method in that location.

It is clear that the normal fare to expect into Sukhumvit, Prutnam, etc. is around 250 baht. If the fare were to rise above 400 baht I would suspect tampering of the meter.

How is that misleading? I used the taxi every month for over a year from Laksi (just south of Don Muang) to Swampy and paid just a little over 300 baht (on the meter readout) each and every time except once when the meter was rigged and it showed over 500 baht. By the way, from Swampy to Sukhumvit or Prutunam is not as far as it is to Don Muang so I can understand how it would be less than what I stated. So tell me how are my statements just so misleading? What do you mean by 'wrong direction'? There is basically two ways I know of from Laski area to Swampy, one is using the tollway and the other doesn't. The one not using the tollway is actually a bit further in distance and you will save on toll fares, but then again you may run late if you get caught up in the BKK traffic.

Avoid the hassles on the ground floor.

Go up to the departures (4th fl) and walk out to where the taxis are dropping off on the far lane.

Tell the driver to use the meter before you get into the taxi.

95% of them will agree otherwise they will have to do the loop and wait in the que on the ground floor plus the 50Bht charge which they offload to the customers.

Between midnight and 6am take Param 9 to anywhere in the city...

It doesn't bring a smile to my face; I'd rather take the express train & Suvarnabhumi still hasn't got one yet. :D

Avoid the hassles on the ground floor.

Go up to the departures (4th fl) and walk out to where the taxis are dropping off on the far lane.

Tell the driver to use the meter before you get into the taxi.

95% of them will agree otherwise they will have to do the loop and wait in the que on the ground floor plus the 50Bht charge which they offload to the customers.

Between midnight and 6am take Param 9 to anywhere in the city...

This used to be the case. But the airport authorities/taxi organisation recently got very sharp on this.

It is possible that the AOT guards will prevent the taxis from picking up fares at departures or taxis from departures will refuse to switch on meters.

The situation changes quickly depending on the prevailing policy.

Any recent updates would be welcome.

How is that misleading? I used the taxi every month for over a year from Laksi (just south of Don Muang) to Swampy and paid just a little over 300 baht (on the meter readout) each and every time except once when the meter was rigged and it showed over 500 baht. By the way, from Swampy to Sukhumvit or Prutunam is not as far as it is to Don Muang so I can understand how it would be less than what I stated. So tell me how are my statements just so misleading? What do you mean by 'wrong direction'? There is basically two ways I know of from Laski area to Swampy, one is using the tollway and the other doesn't. The one not using the tollway is actually a bit further in distance and you will save on toll fares, but then again you may run late if you get caught up in the BKK traffic.

The question was about the cost of a taxi from the new airport into the city. You are answering a different question which would confuse people who have never travelled to Bangkok. They are not interested in Don Muang. Please stick to the point.

Your point about the cost is also irrelevant. You use the most cost effective method of transport in each city destination. In Bangkok the best choice happens to be by taxi. In London I would use the underground from Heathrow. I would never use a taxi at Heathrow.

I would also add that the express bus at 150baht is good value if you are on your own and your hotel is on the bus route: http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

Edited by Stuart8

Are the AOT Limo Touts still misleading arrivals in the baggage area with signs posted in the baggage area "warning"(scaring) passengers...suggesting regular taxies cannot be trusted?

The AOT limo service gets 900 thb for a trip into Bangkok vs a Taxi Meter for under 300. Multiply that by 30,000 arrivals and you can see the huge potential.

It's been a game by airport management since the place opened.

Misleading "warning" signs and AOT "sales agents" in the baggage claim

Allowing a mob of touts to harass arrivals.

Lack of signs, pointing to the taxis.

Hiding the taxies on a different floor from arrivals.

Attempts to overcharge visitors that do find the taxies.

People in uniform cheating and lying to arrivals.

Security blocking passengers from accessing taxis on the departure level.

Along with all the other ripoffs a tuorist encounters, it must be leaving a bad impresion on visitors.

I thought Thailand needed tourism? Shouldn't tourists be be nurtured instead of being abused?

There is a bus shuttle service between the two airports about 35 baht if you have the time not a bad trip otherwise using the tollways etc and including the 50 baht a/port fee expect to pay 350 est. I think you will find most taxi meters are ok and they will ask are you happy to use tollways (you pay) - travelling by taxi in Bangkok nothing like Manila or Phuket the latter being minimum 400 +++.

Last week I had 2 taxis from sukh. soi 6 to BKK airport. The meter was around 230 B via toll way with no traffic jams. Add to that 70 B tollway fee. Total around 300 B.

The fare and fees in opposite direction should be around the same if You use taxis on arrival.

Tipping is not mandatory like in US. But the driver will be happy with 20 B which is better than nothing which is also an option I use with some rude drivers that dont help with luggage.

What a simple question about a taxifare can start,my God.

What a simple question about a taxifare can start,my God.

Still only on 1 page. The one on Flyertalk is up to 20...

The question was about the cost of a taxi from the new airport into the city. You are answering a different question which would confuse people who have never travelled to Bangkok. They are not interested in Don Muang. Please stick to the point.

Your point about the cost is also irrelevant. You use the most cost effective method of transport in each city destination. In Bangkok the best choice happens to be by taxi. In London I would use the underground from Heathrow. I would never use a taxi at Heathrow.

I would also add that the express bus at 150baht is good value if you are on your own and your hotel is on the bus route: http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

Stuart (aka BKK taxi expert) my first response was as follows:

"Between the 2 airports you can expect to pay around 300 baht or a little more. So figure it out from there with where you are going to. (This is minus the 50 baht charge, any tolls, and tips)...... Compare that with NYC, London, Stockholm, Tokyo, HK and it brings and instant smile to your face..... But for some kei-nils it is too much..... "

So I tried, with my personal experience using taxis recently and knowing the cost, replied to the OP hoping to at least provide a basic understanding for the fare between two popular known points. (i.e. The two BKK airports) I have no idea where in the city he/she is wanting to go, but I take it you do! Hmmmmmm

BTW, using the underground train in London was not part of the question or topic so "please stick to the point"! :o

Are the AOT Limo Touts still misleading arrivals in the baggage area with signs posted in the baggage area "warning"(scaring) passengers...suggesting regular taxies cannot be trusted?

The AOT limo service gets 900 thb for a trip into Bangkok vs a Taxi Meter for under 300. Multiply that by 30,000 arrivals and you can see the huge potential.

Along with all the other ripoffs a tuorist encounters, it must be leaving a bad impresion on visitors.

I thought Thailand needed tourism? Shouldn't tourists be be nurtured instead of being abused?

Uncle Frank, I gather you call yourself Uncle as you want people to respect you. And judging from your tone, you gather that Thai people do not respect you. Thailand does not have the democracy you crave, people here live on a subsistence level and if they see that a tourist has flashy clothes and has done a trip from overseas, they are going to try and get some of your money off you. Live amongst them, and you will see that they are trying to be clever to survive, not to hurt tourism. They really don't care if you don't like the way they operate, all they care about is that they can get just that little bit more to enjoy life. Most of the taxi drivers work 6 days a week - 12 hours a day.