Royal Garden Plaza Cinema Appears Shut

Jingthing

Well, this wasn't such a big shock considering all the new and modern cinema screens in town (I assume the new Central will have a big cinema, right?) but was a bit sad to walk by the Royal Garden cinema and see it all shut. End of an era, I guess. There was a certain charm to going to the old fashioned cinema, cheaper tickets, less comfortable seats, a bit like slumming.

A while back back I posted my dream that these cinemas be converted to an art house cinema, showing titles now shown in Bangkok at places like Lido and House. Probably not a great commercial risk in Pattaya with its low brow hordes,

Anyway, thank the higher power of your choice for DSL, wink wink, nod nod. In Thailand in general, so many screens, so few movie choices onscreen!

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, that's a bit sad.

The number 1 cinema there was our cinema of choice out of all the new screens at Cineplex and Big C if a particular movie was showing and the time was right. Number 2 had a problem with the sound system so we avoided it when possible.

I think i saw in advertising for the new central plaza that it would have something like 9 screens??? I just hope they are not as cold as some i have bin in here!!!!!

Sad as it may be now, the RGP is prime real estate - so i guess there will be a re-incarnation of some kind in the near future! :o

I think i saw in advertising for the new central plaza that it would have something like 9 screens??? I just hope they are not as cold as some i have bin in here!!!!!

Sad as it may be now, the RGP is prime real estate - so i guess there will be a re-incarnation of some kind in the near future! :o

I'd rather have a cold cinema than one without the aircon working properly. Try cinema #8 at Cineplex. There seems to be an aircon problem in there.

Who goes to movies anymore...I download anything free and watch at home...you guys must be really old :o

Just downloaded and watched Clint's "art" film Gran Torino a couple days ago!

Sometimes its fun to get the cinema experience on a big screen.

Also, going to the movies makes for a fun date, holding hands, velly romantik.

Gran Torino, not an art film, but a good one for sure.

Anyone have any info on what is happening in that space now? For all I know they may be doing a refurb/upgrade, which would be kind of stupid, how many screens showing the exact same movie within a 5 minute walk does one town need?

Edited by Jingthing

Who goes to movies anymore...I download anything free and watch at home...you guys must be really old :o

Nothing to do with age, some movies just don't translate to the small screen, especially big action offerings. I saw Dark Knight on both IMAX and a normal cinema screen, quite stunning. Still great watching the DVD on the TV, but nothing like the same experience. Downloads are OK for the chic flicks that the wife likes to watch!

Yes, that's a bit sad.

The number 1 cinema there was our cinema of choice out of all the new screens at Cineplex and Big C if a particular movie was showing and the time was right.

You mean, if the film could arrive from the Big C theatre in time? No refunds if it was late.

But I agree, this is a bit sad. However, things haven't been the same since the destruction of the old food court at Royal.

On the other handl, Central Festival is coming along nicely and I'm looking forward to the opening.

Sad, quite liked the theater at RG, movie always seem to coincide with my schedule there. :o

I agree. And the price difference meant more Thai people could afford to buy tickets. It really is a shame. But I guess business is business.

Big deal. I can download any movie I like any time I like, but I don't bother. The only time I bother to download a movie is when I've missed a good one on the big screen.

Watching a movie on the big screen is a totally different experience than sitting at home watching a little box. Some guys like sitting at home, others like to go out. Each to their own.

You mean, if the film could arrive from the Big C theatre in time? No refunds if it was late.

No, I've never had a problem like that at the old RG. The only problem I've had is a different screening time to the one advertised in Movieseer...but that happens at all the cinemas.

Well all you guys who still like to see movies on the big-screen, as opposed to the "little-screen" are the Hollywood studios dream customers. All I can say is that at least in LOS, the theatres are clean (no sticky gum or soda spills on the floors/seats), have mostly good sound systems, are cheap (compared to Farangland theatres), and I have yet to be attacked by lice/bed-bugs while being in one.

As for the group-viewing experience or seeing movies with a bird, yeah, that was fun the first couple years in LOS but having been here a decade, I am now a total anti-social sociopath and am rarely seen in public anymore :o

I think Bill Heineke the owner of Royal Garden, the Marriott and other hotels is starting to feel some pain from the economic turn down he will try some other venue or simply change it to retail space, I don't live in pattaya anymore but i heard he raised the surcharge in the food court to 10% a few months ago...

I think Bill Heineke the owner of Royal Garden, the Marriott and other hotels is starting to feel some pain from the economic turn down

I'm sure he and Minor Corp. are feeling the pinch as is every business worldwide from the economic turn down. He also has the huge new Central Mall complex, which will open in a few months, breathing down his neck!

In anticipation, "Royen" has been undergoing remodeling and upgrading for the past few months. The cinema is a concession of one of the Bangkok based theatre companies and maybe they are remodeling too or maybe their lease is up and they will not renew so as not to complete with the Avenue's Major complex or whatever company (same?) that will open at Central.

I have asked the management at RGP and they have said that the SF cinema, located currently at RGP will be moving its operations to the new Central Festival. Not quiet sure what they will do with the empty space, but as prime as RGP's location surely they will have a tenant occupying the space in no time.

Well all you guys who still like to see movies on the big-screen, as opposed to the "little-screen" are the Hollywood studios dream customers.

A little screen experience will never replace the big screen experience (no matter how easy it is to download movies these days)...just as eating at home will never replace the dining out experience.

Well all you guys who still like to see movies on the big-screen, as opposed to the "little-screen" are the Hollywood studios dream customers.

A little screen experience will never replace the big screen experience (no matter how easy it is to download movies these days)...just as eating at home will never replace the dining out experience.

Both can be enjoyable.

I studied scriptwriting at one time and we learned the target audience for almost all Hollywood movies are 19 year old boys.

A little screen experience will never replace the big screen experience............

So size does matter. :D

The old tv has now been replaced by huge LCD monitors. These, together with a good surround sound system, make watching movies at home quite enjoyable.

I loved the Royal Garden for movies but it was necessary to take a woolen jumper every time....and then you'd be disturbed by some clown who wanted to chat on his mobile whilst the movie was playing. ....or a family of fat people who regularly walked in and out of your row and trod on your toes each time.

Anyway, just think of the great disco that can be built inside the old RG theatre. :o

I saw they had closed the cinema at RGP the other day and it did make me sad. Logic fails at what they're

doing over there? First it was the food court, then au-bon-pain bailed, then a little internet shop on 2nd

floor closed-up and now the theater? was the best place in town to go see a movie and at 70-80 baht

nearly half price compared to everywhere else. In truth the sign does say "renovation" on the boards

shuttering up the joint but who knows? they ripped-out all the bathrooms and pay telephones I guess

as was stated "to upgrade" but it's just been a totat clusterfu-k hasn't it? end of an era is right. :o

• 6 months later...
80 baht seats in a close up row at major at the avenue

i have done it twice now

if you move your seat i promise not to narc you out :)

How did you get 80 baht seats. The standard price at Major Cineplex is 120 baht for the closer seats and 140 for the seats further back.

I love the big screen experiance. But even though Pattaya has lots of screens you still cannot get to see the latest technology.

Every time a new 3D film is released the posters have the big 3D sign on it but the small print says "in selected cinemas" turns out nowhere in Pattaya has the technology to show 3D films!

Also some movies are released in IMAX. I would love to see them, but a trip to Bangkok just to watch a movie is out of the question.

Now if someone opened a 3D IMAX in Pattaya I would be there every week or more!

Chris

80 baht seats in a close up row at major at the avenue

i have done it twice now

if you move your seat i promise not to narc you out :)

How did you get 80 baht seats. The standard price at Major Cineplex is 120 baht for the closer seats and 140 for the seats further back.

A friend told me that if you are 65 and show some ID you can sit anywhere for 80bt. Also, the first 5 rows are 80bt for everyone. However, if you go with gf or wife under 65 they pay the normal price for 120 or140 seats. :D

when you make your seat selection at the major cineplex the first 4 rows i think are "yellow" on the computer screen. these

are the discount 80 baht seats. no usually a problem because the place is often deserted. because there are so few customers

they also seem to frequently make "cancellations" of showings? and now cal-wow salespeople blocking entrances and exits? :)