How long???

5,000/mo - salary

5,000/mo - share of legal fines

5,000?/mo - tea money

----------

15,000/mo X 12 = 180,000/year

1,200,000/180,000 = 6 year & 8 months

Or with less tea money and fines - say 10,000/month... 1.2mil = 10 years

What do would people in the west do for a 7 to 10 years salary windfall?

What would you do for half a million dollars?

(What would I do for half a million dollars? Offer it to me and see!!!)

i agree whit you...what we do for 1 milion?

PS: 50-50 remember.

Edited by oceano

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What policeman would take this risk?

Ok, sure, it was a policeman who ran down and murdered two foreigners and (from what I hear) got away with it...

And they do get up to a range of illegal activity against their own people (and get away with it)...

But mostly they are protected BECAUSE they have the Thai police force, etc, behind them.

So is it possible that there is more to this story?

Thai police are right there in the dregs of society. But they are not superman. They are not all powerful. They too are vulnerable to being blackmailed, pressured, coerced, yadda yadda. And maybe this guy saw this as his only way out?

Just a thought...

I believe they're entitled to pocket 50% of the "on the spot fines". Anything paid at the station goes into the "joint account". That's why the police will charge you less at the roadside (usually half) because it goes into their own pocket!

For years it used to be 100 baht when they stopped you in Bangkok. Few years ago they started giving them 50% back and as i one day hand over 100 baht as usual with my DL and the guy goes "no, it's 200 now". Further explaining that legally they now get 50% of the 400 baht ticket if he issues one but prefers to get the money right there and then instead of waiting until end of the month for the legal share.

So only thing changed was that on the spot team money doubled from 100 to 200 baht...

what is amazing to me is the blatant lack of integrity and justifications for bad behavior. I know there are cultural differences here, but I don't understand the concept of acceptable criminal acts. God forbid you drop a book that you want to buy on the counter instead of gently placing it down because that would be considered rude, but legalized corruption is ok. I was going to add, where is the sense of pride and dignity? but thinking about it, the pride is there, but it has nothing to do with accomplishment. No one here seems to take any responsibility for their actions, and I don't suspect any will be taken in this case either. This is very sad, and not good for the Kingdom. And on that note, disrespectful at that. I think a movement about how to be a respectful and honorable subject is long overdue. :o

what is amazing to me is the blatant lack of integrity and justifications for bad behavior. I know there are cultural differences here, but I don't understand the concept of acceptable criminal acts. God forbid you drop a book that you want to buy on the counter instead of gently placing it down because that would be considered rude, but legalized corruption is ok. I was going to add, where is the sense of pride and dignity? but thinking about it, the pride is there, but it has nothing to do with accomplishment. No one here seems to take any responsibility for their actions, and I don't suspect any will be taken in this case either. This is very sad, and not good for the Kingdom. And on that note, disrespectful at that. I think a movement about how to be a respectful and honorable subject is long overdue. :o

I agree whit you but....how many legalized activity all governament in the world do that if we do are illegal?

This at list is for small money and go to police men that have a small salary, think about country were the rich governament make the same and the money go in bank account of already very rich people.

Edited by oceano

I believe they're entitled to pocket 50% of the "on the spot fines". Anything paid at the station goes into the "joint account". That's why the police will charge you less at the roadside (usually half) because it goes into their own pocket!

Oh, I see..

Legalized corruption.

Like the other poster wrote..." Next..."

Yes, you can N-E-V-E-R find a policeman when you need one..!!!!!

If there is an investigation, which I doubt, then progress of this should be reported on the front page of every newspaper. A copy of the findings should be printed on every driving licence. The subject of racism and unlawful fines levied on foreigners has been covered hundreds if not thousands of times -- but it continues.

what does that have to do with the story at hand?

Probably nothing just lamenting how much dosh I've handed over for committing that worst of all road traffice offences -- driving whilst white. Another poster also writes that WE will have to make up the deficit.

Police officer allegedly cheats peers out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards

CHIANG MAI: -- Some 50 traffic policemen of the Chiang Mai head office Friday field complaint against their peer, alleging him with cheating them out of Bt1.2 million in traffic fine rewards.

The policemen filed complaint against Police Senior Sergeant Major Thanawat Sinpieng, 47, at the Muang district police station.

They said Thanawat was assigned to withdraw the money of traffic fine rewards for December from the Krung Thai Bank's San Pa Khoy branch in the Muang district on December 29 but he disappeared.

The money was for sharing among 150 traffic policemen, they said.

They said Thanawat was earlier assigned to withdraw the money several times with no problem.

He has disappeared with his family.

-- The Nation 2009-01-09

The police still take bribes. Haven't you seen their eyes light up when they see the farang's face through the car's window screen? I was on my way back from Hua Hin not too long ago when we were stopped. The policeman said that he would let us go on our way if we paid a bribe. My friend, the driver, only had 100 THB in change. This wasn't enough for the officer. He saw that there were two other farang in the car and said that we could help out the driver by making a contribution to the bribe.

Some one had a great night on the whiskey that night and it wasn't us.

The same driver was stopped on another occasion and 400 THB was demanded as a bribe. My friend laughed and said that the officer should take his driving to the police station to be collect as this would be cheaper. The officer soon dropped his bribe down.

Still, it's all part of the game. The other option is to go and pay the fine at the station.

As for the cop that robbed the coppers...enjoy.

How long can he and his family live on the 1.2mio Bath?That was not very clever he will loose his job and further tea money sources.

How long he can live will depend on where he goes now. I would think this would be good money in poor areas of Thailand especially if he could put it in a bank account and live on the interest although that is less these days. The problem is will he have to bribe anyone to keep quiet? He would have to get another job and not be obvious about his extra income. I don't know how easy it is to live in Thailand without coming to the attention of the national and local officials, not to mention the police? Maybe he could cross one of the borders although this could involve a bribe as well. He may well find that his biggest problem is the loss of friends and family if he moves away and has to keep a low profile.

Does it take a police to catch a police?

Question should be "How many Thai police does it take to catch a crooked fellow officer?" The answer is zero, :o they can not, there isn't a honest cop anywhere to be found!!!

Edited by Lizard

How long???

5,000/mo - salary

5,000/mo - share of legal fines

5,000?/mo - tea money

----------

15,000/mo X 12 = 180,000/year

1,200,000/180,000 = 6 year & 8 months

Or with less tea money and fines - say 10,000/month... 1.2mil = 10 years

What do would people in the west do for a 7 to 10 years salary windfall?

What would you do for half a million dollars?

(What would I do for half a million dollars? Offer it to me and see!!!)

i agree whit you...what we do for 1 milion?

PS: 50-50 remember.

You have to substract however health benefits and school money for the children government employees get.Furthermore how much would he lose on pension money for lets say 20years? Edited by bunnaag

Well as a retired cop like sunray, I wouldn't be a cop in this country if they gave it to me.

Fine disbursement I will use California as an example since I have some experience there.

Parking fines and city code violations pretty much stay with the city.

But other traffic violations were spread out between the City involved, the County and then the State.

Did any of this money go towards Police Salaries sure they did , as well as the courts Ect.

But to individual officers no. There was always a Sgt around that knew exactly how many citations within a given beat there should be. Yes we were expected to perform. So if you had a day when you were not busy with something else, should be some citations at the end of the shift shouldn't there.

My only experience where officers were expected to perform to a quota system were officer assigned specifically to traffic enforcment. But, those qoutas were based on traffic studies, not a figure pulled out of the sky. Normally only as to violations that had cuased accidents on the beat assignment.

Now me I like that system I think it is a pretty fair deal.

Now lets think about something else. In that system you not only got a fine. But your insuraqnce company and the Department of Motor Vehicles. So to many citations and bye bye drivers license. Insurance rates were based on you driving record, therefore you could get penalized twice. So if I have to pay because I did something wrong well so be it. Up to the government to decide how the system operates, not me.

I have only paid tea money once that was in Bangkok, I didn't run a red light I slaughtered it. So as the cop walked up my only question how much?. I was wrong end of story. since he didn't write a ticket I assume it was Tea money. I deserved to be given a fine and that was it. But my insurance company never got involved and I didn't get penalized twice.

Having lived here for six years I have been stopped many times in the check points. I wear a helmet, my bike is legal and I have a drivers license. Never asked for Tea money. Mine is a big bike so 70K for the book, do I feel sorry for the guy that occaissonally pay 200 baht to a cop for his bike registration, not hardly. He picked that course and is probably financially well ahead of me :D

Cops stealing from cops, there problem not mine.

Be careful what you wish for. Me I'm way ahead of the game in this system :o

It's Thailand guys their rules not ours.

It still amaze me after six years that the cops here in Udon can still fine people for not wearing helmet, but they do, six days a week.

Someone tell me why should they go after the police that robbed the money ?

In a country where the big guys occupy airports and cause unbelievable damage to everyone and they are not called by the justice. Why the small ones should be called. Lead by example, they say.

It's the whole system that is screwed! There is no law in Thailand.

The first thing my lovely wife said, when I explained this story was 'Som nam nah'.

We have spent many a time up north and quite frankly got very tired of the constant 'fines' for absolutely no rational reason, despite having everything in order.

I understand the basic economic realities, but it got just a tad too much.

What a blast, I'd imagine the 'fugitive' may be running for quite a while from his ex friends. Just how long he may last is an obvious question.

:o:D:D

What you are saying is that to fight corruption with police officers taking money, they allow them to take equal amount of money even if they force the drivers to pay the full 'required' amount (at the station, not in hand). So the officers gets the same amount, the drivers pay more and the government gets more in revenue. Interesting... fighting corruption by still allowing them to take the same amount...

You cant fight corruption when you pay your cops a scandalous salary !! Is this a joke ?? As en ex-cop, my state gave me a salary high enough so I did not want to be corrupted.

Do you think getting a 5000/mo to take care of a family is enough while they can make so much money easily, of course the practice is hatefull but this is life and no one can tell me the government do not know about that... I even think the government is part of that corruption deal with the police...

There is much to be said about the corruption involving the police dept. However, this practice of handing back a percentage of the fine to the street cops (who do the job), does create a situation that possibly allows the extremely low paid civil servant the avenue of not resorting to "on the spot" extortion. 5000 bt a month is difficult to support a family on.

My friend just got a Police Officer (Captain) who was interested to buy his 2 million Benz SL. Must be a very profitable job to be a Policeman.

well a police officer a the local police box in Chewang ( Koh Samui ) drives a BMW 7 series ! ........

I see them everyweek collecting money for helmets outside the box, and they must take in a far amount of money

May I point out that the "commission" in this case is a legitimate, above-board operating expense that is designed to supplement the disgracefully low incomes of the loyal members of the Royal Thai Police. I suspect strongly that it is not even 8,000 per man, but proportionate to the rank of the individual. I am guessing that the poor slobs at the bottom standing out in the heat and pollution and dealing day in, day out with some of God's worst drivers only see a very timy slice of the pie, as the big guys need more money because they have bigger bribes to pay to the guys above them. The 1.2 million hee refers to "legitimate" and documented fines, duly receipted.

Now, about the other, UN-documented fines that we all know about.... how big a pool do you think THAT is?

Well said

My friend just got a Police Officer (Captain) who was interested to buy his 2 million Benz SL. Must be a very profitable job to be a Policeman.

well a police officer a the local police box in Chewang ( Koh Samui ) drives a BMW 7 series ! ........

I see them everyweek collecting money for helmets outside the box, and they must take in a far amount of money

On Koh Phangan it's the same. It's quite normal that police put the fines they charge in their own pockets. Nothing new. And than they go collecting every month the money from all the illegal shops and parties. Also some extra good money from farang who have a little gansha or some pills in their pockets. A police officer here don't have to worry about a little income. :o

How long can he and his family live on the 1.2mio Bath?That was not very clever he will loose his job and further tea money sources.

:o Would the best solution not be to pay a reasonable salary with a good remuneration etc and if any police officer was corrupt then they would lose everything and serve a term in prison. Driving a car and a motorbike I am constantly reminded that I am a mobile ATM machine but they are the politess robbers I have found always saluting and thanking me for handing them some Baht.

In five years of driving I have only come across one policeman who did his job properly and handed me a ticket for the passenger not wearing a seat belt. He was not interested in "tea money" He had my respect as he was doing his JOB.