Continentalbakery - 30% Price Increase

JimmyTheMook

I was a regular customer until the other day was polity told to look at the new menu b4 I ordered my usual bowl of Muesli w/ fresh fruit and yogurt that normally cost 99 baht and came with choice of coffee or tea and 4 pieces of nice home baked toast.

Shockingly due to the tough economic times the price is now 130 baht for the same thing.

A 30% increase is over the top and they lost a long time customer over their greed.

I was a regular customer until the other day was polity told to look at the new menu b4 I ordered my usual bowl of Muesli w/ fresh fruit and yogurt that normally cost 99 baht and came with choice of coffee or tea and 4 pieces of nice home baked toast.

Shockingly due to the tough economic times the price is now 130 baht for the same thing.

A 30% increase is over the top and they lost a long time customer over their greed.

If their bread prices have gone up by a similar percentage they can count me as another lost customer! :o

if food prices are falling then crazy daves breakfast should be 50 baht now.

all food prices have gone up all over the world but not 30%.must be thai owned to do that or very stupid owner thinking tourists will still pay and bugger the expats and regulars.

Wow..that would really be a kick in the groin for folks...especially those poor (pun intended) Brits having their English breakfast and having to pay for it with their depreciated English Pounds. It would be something like 75% more expensive to them than a year ago.

At least for us Americans, it's about the same (price increase about matches $ appreciation vs. baht past year) :o

In any case, I never found their food that great...though it seems to be a very popular place. Still many places around town that have B 55-B 75 breakies for the monetarily challenged.

Wow..that would really be a kick in the groin for folks...especially those poor (pun intended) Brits having their English breakfast and having to pay for it with their depreciated English Pounds. It would be something like 75% more expensive to them than a year ago.

At least for us Americans, it's about the same (price increase about matches $ appreciation vs. baht past year) :o

In any case, I never found their food that great...though it seems to be a very popular place. Still many places around town that have B 55-B 75 breakies for the monetarily challenged.

do i detect a certain amount of racism against the brits.

pistols at 10 paces yank

if food prices are falling then crazy daves breakfast should be 50 baht now.

all food prices have gone up all over the world but not 30%.must be thai owned to do that or very stupid owner thinking tourists will still pay and bugger the expats and regulars.

I stand by what I said about food prices falling. American food included. Maybe you should read the news a bit more.

Today I brought a box of 160 P G TIPS for 1 pound 70 pence. Funny thing is though I bet the drop in farang food will not reach you lot in pattaya. :D:D:D U.K beer... one pound per pint..Ahhhh :D:o

Syl

I dunno...I still find eating out incredibly cheap in Pattaya...you just have to know where to go. My standard meat/rice dishes at the Thai restos I frequent are US$ 2.00-3.00 each; I can get a nicely done pork condon blue (with garlic bread, baked potato, and veggies) for $ 5.00 at another; same goes for pastas dishes @ 5.00-6.00; great pizzas I can get for $6.00-$7.00; my morning latte costs me 1.50; complete Japanese set meals at Fuji are $4.00-5.00. Cherries does 3-4 course gourmet meals for 7.00-8.00. I could go on and on. These prices are all at least 1/2 the cost of what they would cost me in the USA and the quality is comparable (portion size is sometimes smaller...but healthier).

Where else can one eat so good for so little? I mean, even a Brit, Roo, or Kiwi could eat like a king or republican in Patters :o

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

I dunno...I still find eating out incredibly cheap in Pattaya...you just have to know where to go.

Cherries does 3-4 course gourmet meals for 7.00-8.00. I could go on and on.

you may want to stop as Cherries is now 450 baht for the set meal and that is approx.

$13 US Dollars.

I like your reply

you may want to stop as Cherries is now 450 baht for the set meal and that is approx. $13 US Dollars.

Yes they have put up their prices a bit (they had to as they were practically giving the food away before). Still, I think it would be pretty hard to find a 3-4 course dinner anyplace in the US for $ 13; and I believe the Sunday set dinner is only B 300 or around $ 9.50.

There are also a bunch of bistro type places around Tuk Com that have set dinners for B 250-B 300; many all you can eat Sunday carvaries for around B 400; plus most restaurants have a daily special in the B 250-B 350 range.

And don't forget, one could always become a "balloon chaser" and eat for the cost of a beer or soda every nite of the week :o

At 99b for all you describe, I suspect its more a case that they have done their sums and realised regardless of the food price increase - the margin on that amount of food is nothing. Cant say I each much Muesli but everytime I have thought about eating it on a healthy purge - I tend to put the box back on the shelf and think again. Add in fresh fruit, Yoghurt, tea/coffee, toast, staffing costs, rent, staff VAT and I doubt they were previously making more than at best a 30% margin - and in food businesses thats extremely low. Think about it, but then again you probably wont or dont care - but I cant say I can think of one place that offers such a healthy sounding option at any price, let alone 130b which I would imagine is still good value for money.

I visit this place about 3 times a week. Yes I can understand that food prices have moved up but not by 30%. I will be looking for some new places in the area to try.

Any suggestions?

JOHN :o

The Breakfast at the Villa food counter - I think it is 65 baht for a decent breakfast with eggs, choice of ham or sausage or bacon, toast and real coffee or tea.

Edited by JimmyTheMook

Although food inflation has fallen sharply, food prices are still substantually higher than last time Continental changed its price. According to government figures food price in Dec 08 were 1.5% lower than Nov 08 but 13.8% higher than Dec 07.

Lost in LOS - How much have Mati Hari prices gone up. I was going to take my mother when she visits next month. Is Bruno better value now?

Although food inflation has fallen sharply, food prices are still substantually higher than last time Continental changed its price. According to government figures food price in Dec 08 were 1.5% lower than Nov 08 but 13.8% higher than Dec 07.

Lost in LOS - How much have Mati Hari prices gone up. I was going to take my mother when she visits next month. Is Bruno better value now?

no, mata hari is still the better deal and for the quality it is still good value, that being said the prices have gone up :o now i think twice about the appetizer along with the entree as they are the price of an entree now.

wont stop me going but it will be less and ordering with my eye on the right side of the menu as well as the left which i never did before

these places are raising there prices when the world economy is in the toilet and exchange rate is bad

Because if the make Bt30 from Bt99 5 times a week they make Bt150 a week from that customer.

If he does not go, they make 5 times zero = ?

The Continental has never been full ever. If they needed to do this, they should have done the age old trick of removing it from the menu and then bringing it back some time later at the new "improved" price. People often forget or you can say that you had to change suppliers or any old <deleted>.

have you tried buying breakfast cereal in the supermarkets ??? not cheap !!

Right. That's exactly what I do...not cheap decent cereal but when you figure the per serving price, it's a pretty cheap breakfast meal. I wouldn't go out to a restaurant and pay restaurant prices for a bowl of hot or cold cereal...something I can easily make at home.

at the end of the day, most of these businesses are not making a fortune so why begrudge them making a profit ??

Because they are trying to increase their profits at a time when the rest of us are having to tighten our belts!

at the end of the day, most of these businesses are not making a fortune so why begrudge them making a profit ??

Because they are trying to increase their profits at a time when the rest of us are having to tighten our belts!

I think that the increase is all about the fall in customers. Why cook for fifty people when you can still have the same profit cooking for a lot less. I believe this trend will continue until tourism numbers are up. :o

Syl.

As a Yank, I 've got to say that you Brit's have been on Easy St. for quite some time. You guy's have enjoyed the best exchange rates for as long as can remember. It will be interesting to see how this affects long-term expats and tourism from the UK.

My sister lived in the UK for 8 yrs and I would visit her a few times. The exchange rate was always hovering between .51 and .55. Nothing like losing half your dollars apon arrival. Pints that cost 3-4 pounds, cost me $6-8 dollars. How many beers can you afford to drink at that price?

Since I've been coming to LOS, Brit's have always enjoyed a 2 to 1 exchange rate to that of the dollar. It like the whole place is half-off! And yet, I've seen some things that really make me wonder if they haven't lost sight of how good they really have/had it.

In Siem Reap, at the Angkot Wat ruins they have a "centralized" food stall area away from the temples. Very rustic, they have to bring in ice by the block and chop it with machette. I was at a stall "run" by a 12-13yr old Khmer girl while her Mom and Aunt cooked. She also had a baby brother in stroller to look out for as well. Good food and ice cold drinks in the middle of nowhere on a scorching hot day. Four young Brits came over to eat and get something to drink. One pulls a coke out of the cooler and asks how much. The girl sez $1, the Brit sez .50 cents thinking he can "bargain" her down. She holds firm to my surprise and delight. He puts it back and goes next door. Same price, no coke only Fanta. He comes back and sez .50 cents. She doesn't even acknowledge him. Their food comes and they all start eating. Again he gets a coke out and sez, .50 cents. She couldn't be bothered. I think this little Khmer girl is my new hero! Finally the heat gets to him and he pays the grand ransom of $1 and late ends up getting another.

All that trouble and effort to save .50 cents or .25 pence. And yet, I have to pay $8 a pint on high street in Maidstone. I just don't get it. I guess the days of Brit's flying to NY/Boston for a weekend of cheap shopping are coming to an end.

Before I get flamed, let just say that I'm only pointing out that this global economic crisis has brought the Brits down to where the rest of the world has been living for quite some time.

Passed by the Continental Bakery this morning and the place was basically empty, guess a 30% increase was a bit over the top for the bulk of their regular customers.

I never understood the attraction of the place - food was nowhere near as good as

the ones in Phuket. As usual Pattaya standards are low.