Beer Chang Wins Gold Medal In The 2008 World Beer Championships

Jai Dee

People here mostly hate Chang for strong hangovers, not for the taste.

In fact I don't recall "Chang tastes like crap" comments at all. Maybe "too strong, add some ice", but to "crap".

Draft Chang is easier to handle the next morning and it's easier to drink, too, but they obiously had only bottled beer in that competition.

Well you obviously haven't been paying attention mate! :D I've seen heaps of comments on how <deleted> Chang tastes over the years, apart from the hangover from hel_l comments. Many of the comments have centred round its elephant piss taste with strong hints of formaldehyde aftertaste. This award is an insult toany serious beer afficionado and reeks in my opinion. :o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... as an extremely smooth, full-bodied 100 percent malt lager with a complex aroma - a smoky, peaty blend of sweet green apples and vanilla - and a beautifully balanced flavor which is crisp and incredibly refreshing....golden color. Honeyed raisin toast aromas with a hint of lychee follow through on a crisp, smooth entry to a dryish medium body with a hint of apple, nut, and a solid roasted grain character. Finishes with a crisp, balanced earthy hop and pizza dough fade. A very nice food beer."

Yeah....but does it taste like beer ? :o

I thought that was a pretty over the to description too. Would this be better: "an unpretentious but hearty brew with a faint nose of urinal soap and of subtly diluted ammonium."?

Yes, whoever wrote that little ditty has obviously not talked to anyone who has drunk the stuff. Maybe the coat of arms (health warning) on the label should be a wheelchair and some incontinance pants!

In my opinion, Chang is quite nice but, the quality varies. Normally it is alright - but at times you really get a bad bottle. Hmm.

Very true - the quality is all over the place (but perhaps the issue is poor handling at the retail end?). I like Chang although its a bit too stronger than it needs to be. Don't think it deserves a gold medal anywhere other than Thailand (worst beer in Asia) though.

In my opinion, Chang is quite nice but, the quality varies. Normally it is alright - but at times you really get a bad bottle. Hmm.

Very true - the quality is all over the place (but perhaps the issue is poor handling at the retail end?). I like Chang although its a bit too stronger than it needs to be. Don't think it deserves a gold medal anywhere other than Thailand (worst beer in Asia) though.

Glad someone montioned the "bad bottle" bit.As the wine is so dear here in LOS I have changed(back) to beer and really do like Chang. However in the last couple of months have come across more than a couple of bad bottles. I think its got something to do with the cleaning of the bottles with residue of whatever being left in the lines(rather than at the retail end) I not only encountered it down in Bag Saen, then again several times up in Nong Khai.It seems to be only the big bottles. The small bottles and the cans-no problem.

Has anyone else come agross this as I intend to write to Thai Bev about it? I don't find it that strong-in fact can't remember the last time "an elephant sat on my head"

I remember the days when Chang first appeared. There was no alcohol rating on the label. I couldn't work out why sometimes I'd be completely toasted after 6 small bottles and other times I'd be fine. Was told there was no rating on the label because the quality control was all over the place and the alcohol could be anything from 2 to 10 percent. Seems that problem has been sorted, but others may remain which explain the taste complaints. as for me, I love the taste but Chang certainly doesn't like me judging from the morning after.

After the Great Britain Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Chang sits down and says, "Hey bartender, I would like the world's best beer, a Chang." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him

one.

The guy from Heineken says, "I'd like the only beer made with fresh spring water, give me a Heineken" He gets it.

The guy from Stella sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered.

The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Stella" and the Stella president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."

And the joke was the guy from Stella. Amazing how their repeated victories at the World Domestic Abuse Festival have made them so cocky.

Its because the Brits don't know how to limit themselves, isn't "Binge drinking) not an typical British phenomena. And of course drinking dishwater for centuries and know get the real stuff they don't know how to handle it, they act and behave like children in a candy store. We see this typical British behaviour all over the continent when British low life's come to spend their holiday on the Spanish Costa's and cup football games over here. They are used to the fact that English pubs have stringent opening times while this is not so in the continent; Over Here we don't have to order 5 pints before the bell rings, because Pubs can be open 24/7.

You better look to the reasons why there is domestic abuse and not to the beer. Why its only in the UK they call Stella a wife beater and not in any other European country.

BTW I'm an Anglophile.

http://www.stellaartois.com/en_US/battle-of-good-vs-evil

You better look to the reasons why there is domestic abuse and not to the beer. Why its only in the UK they call Stella a wife beater and not in any other European country.

BTW I'm an Anglophile.

http://www.stellaartois.com/en_US/battle-of-good-vs-evil

It's quite amazing how a thread about Chang beer winning a gold medal can morph into a lecture on how Brits are low life, Stella fuelled wife beaters :o

TTVFY :D

(That's Thai Visa For You :D )

Thailand's Chang Beer Wins Gold Medal in the 2008 World Beer Championships

... Beverage Testing Institute (BTI).

Chang earned an impressive 90 points in The 2008 World Beer Championships and was awarded a gold medal in the Pale Lager Division with an "Exceptional" rating by the Beverage Testing Institute judges. ...

Here are the top 20 Pale Lagers listed on BTI's website with their ratings. Chang is not listed. mmmm.

93 • Alivaria Ekstra Pale Lager.

Rich old gold color. Wet bread dough and light honeyed lemon peel aromas follow through to a crisp frothy, and dryish medium body with a nice honeyed nut, grain, and marmalade fade. Tasty. (tasted on Nov-01-2007)

92 • Gubernija Brewery Gubernijos Ekstra.

Attractive medium-golden color. Lovely lightly caramelized malt with hints of dried flowers and riverbeds. A round, very smooth entry leads to a mildly frothy dryish medium-to full bodied palate with toasty pale malt, light toffee, and dried fruit flavors. Finishes with a crisp, astringent fade of citrus and earthy hops. A dead ringer for a very fine Bohemian Pilsner. Brilliant! (tasted on Oct-01-2005)

91 • Gubernija Brewery Zalgirio.

Pale golden color. Earthy clay-like hop and grainy malt aromas. A rich frothy entry leads to a dryish medium-bodied palate of lightly caramelized malt with mild toffee and wheat toast flavors. Finishes with elegant, mild earthy hops and a powdered sugarcoated lemon peel fade. Very well balanced and flavorful. (tasted on Oct-01-2005)

91 • Lion Brewery Ceylon PLC Imperial Lager.

Pale golden amber color. Grilled mango, orange blossom honey, and Hawaiian bread toast aromas follow through on a very supple and round entry to a dry-yet-fruity medium-full body with honey yogurt, apple, and pepper notes. Finishes with a long, warming honey granola fade. Big and tasty; pair with mighty curries. (tasted on Nov-05-2008)

91 • Brewery Warka Lager.

Pale amber color. Charred nut, butter toffee and tree bark aromas follow through to a round dry-yet-fruity medium body with date and powdered sugar and cocoa dusted fig accents. Finishes with a milk chocolate covered raisin and nut fade with a hint of mocha. Not a pale lager, but very nice. (tasted on Oct-30-2007)

91 • Boon Rawd Brewery Co. Singha Beer.

Bright golden color. Fresh sourdough bread and dried lemon and faint coconut milk aromas. A frothy, zippy entry leads to a dryish light-to-medium body of honeyed lemon, rye toast, and straw flavors. Finishes in a long, very refreshing citrus zest and praline fade with balanced bittering hops. A super quaffer. (tasted on Nov-01-2007)

91 • Clipper City Brewing Co. McHenry Premium Lager.

Golden amber color. Honey, orange marmalade, lemon poppy seed muffin aromas follow through to a round, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a fruity sweet, tangy golden raisin and honey fade with slight dough and nuts notes. Very tasty. (tasted on Oct-26-2007)

90 • Gubernija Brewery Ledo.

Medium golden color. Warm buttered toast, earthy hop aromas. A crisp entry leads to a dryish medium-bodied palate with honey toasted and fairly grainy pale malt and golden raisin flavors. Finishes with a crisply astringent, fruity sweet citrus and wet reed fade. Quite refreshing. (tasted on Oct-01-2005)

90 • Cosmos Brewery Co., Ltd. Chang Beer.

Bright golden color. Honeyed raisin toast aromas with a hint of lychee follow through on a crisp, smooth entry to a dryish medium body with a hint of apple, nut, and a solid roasted grain character. Finishes with a crisp, balanced earthy hop and pizza dough fade. A very nice food beer. (tasted on Nov-05-2008)

89 • Granville Island Brewing Co. Island Lager.

Old gold color. Honeyed golden raisin toast aromas. A round entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium body of golden raisin, honeyed wheat bread, gravel, and orange marmalade flavors. Finishes with a lovely fade of dried fruit, nuts, and delicate spice. (tasted on Nov-06-2006)

89 • Tijuana TJ Güera.

Rich golden color. Buttered nut toast, cheddar popcorn, with apricot jam aromas follow through to a very frothy and soft, dryish medium body with delicate lemon rind and talc notes and a very crisp, mildly astringent snappy hop fade. Subtle, refreshing, and elegant. (tasted on Nov-01-2007)

89 • Heineken Slovensko Golden Pheasant Lager.

Old gold color. Buttered raisin toast and delicate citrus and spice aromas follow through on a round entry to a dryish medium body with mild creamed corn notes. Finishes with a crisp, savory butter toasted nut and orange spice tea fade. Refreshing. (tasted on Nov-05-2008)

88 • Svyturys Ekstra Draught.

Bright golden color with a lacy head. Honeyed nut and lemon pastry aromas follow through on a rich entry to a dry-yet-fruity medium body with tropical fruit custard tart note. Finishes with a long, velvety yet crisp fruit. Nice weight and poise. (tasted on Oct-09-2008)

88 • Sleeman Brewing & Malting Co. Original Draught.

Golden amber color. Dark rye toast and orange marmalade aromas. A round frothy entry leads to a dry-yet-fruity medium body of caramel, rye, and candied orange peel flavors. Finishes with a marmalade, toast, and mineral fade. (tasted on Nov-06-2006)

88 • Cross Plains Brewery Esser's Best.

Brilliant amber color. Brioche, light caramel and fig aromas. A round frothy entry leads to a dryish medium body of rye toast, caramel apple and figs, and dried tangerine peel flavors. Finishes with a toasty, raisin and citrus peel fade. Nicely balanced. (tasted on Nov-07-2006)

88 • Swan Lake Beer Koshihikari Jikomi.

Pale golden color. Bread and faint dried banana aromas. A crisp entry leads to a dry light-to medium body of toast, citrus zest, and delicate grain flavors. Finishes with a refreshing and mildly astringent wave of bittering hops. (tasted on Feb-23-2007)

88 • Birra Moretti Baffo D'Oro.

Old gold color. Fresh toasted bread and chocolate milkshake aromas. A soft, sound entry leads to a dryish medium body of honeyed nut toast and citrus marmalade flavors with a crisp, zippy, white clay and nut accented fade. A great beer for Napoli-style pizza. (tasted on Nov-01-2007)

88 • Birra Moretti Moretti Lager.

Pale golden yellow color. Mild aromas of light rye toast and cracker and egg white soufflé follow through on soft, but crisp entry to a dryish light-to-medium body with excellent grainy bread and earth hop flavors with a touch of butter and dried fruit on the finish. An excellent food beer. (tasted on Nov-05-2008)

88 • Michelob Brewing Co. Michelob Lager.

Deep golden color. Mild peach custard pastry aromas have a toasty edge and follow through on a soft, supple entry to a dryish medium body with toasted nut bread and savory grilled citrus and root vegetable notes. Finishes with a very clean, honeyed nut and candied citrus peel fade. A refreshing and balanced quaffer or food beer. (tasted on Oct-14-2008)

88 • Kona Brewing Co. Longboard Island Lager.

Bright golden color. Baked citrus, buttered toast, straw aromas follow through on a round, crisp entry to a dryish medium body nice integration toast, raisin, citrus, and earth flavors. Finishes with a long refreshing wave of flavor. A nice summer, "chill out" beer. (tasted on Nov-05-2008)

um - number 90? Chang beer? didn't you see what you pasted in? Cosmos is the brewery in Ayutthaya that brews Chang.

Were you able to find the details anywhere on the web about what other beers Chang was compared against in this "World Beer Championship"? Couldn't find anything about it on the web site of "the acclaimed Beverage Testing Institute"

Chang beer is clearly listed as number 90. Brewed at Cosmos Brewery in Ayutthaya.

Thailand's Chang Beer Wins Gold Medal in the 2008 World Beer Championships

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion we are not getting the same brew in Thailand!!! Has anyone tried the US brew out of a bottle, is the label idenitcal to the Thai, is down to the fine print!

I missed the peaty blen of sweat green apples and doughy pizza, that came two minutes before from Pizza Hut or was that The Pizza or.......... h3ll who cares!

The export version of Chang is 100% malt. The one in Thailand contains some rice. The export version tastes similar to Chang draft, but it is not exactly the same recipe. The export version is only 5% alcohol (possibly still too strong for Americans and Aussies). :o

What ingredients are allowed in Thai beers?

Most Thai beers contain malt, hops, rice and due to the heat, some ingredients designed to make the beer last on the shelf in the hot weather. Some, like the big green H have flavors imported from Singapore to add to the taste. The new one, Federbrau, is not allowed to have any additives or it would lose it German certification. Most people do not realise that chemicals are used in most beers, especially preservatives in hot climates. There is a reason why some beers have a lot of foam and others don't, and it is largely to do with those chemicals. Most beer drinkers tend to be biased towards what they themselves drink. Surprisingly, in the two blind taste tests I have participated in here in Thailand, Heineken came near the bottom for everyone even if they said beforehand it was their usual pint. The added ingredients become more obvious when you can't see the "premium" bottle and hear the marketing. 

Surprisingly, for me anyway, Archa and Leo usually come high in the rankings, especially if there are Thai people in the majority, as both have a milder taste than many others but without losing their bite. Singha Light is noticebly disagreeable to most people for its lack of taste.

I like Beer Lao and and Beer Leo better though.

As for the Gold Medal - You certainly find better beers among the Belgian, Chezch, English and German beers.

I wonder how the U.S. got to hold a world beer competition?

I just think Chang tastes horrible. The only time I willingly drank it was 2 years ago at Ratchadamnoen Muay Thai stadium. The aftertaste is what gets me. Terrible. Singha and Leo beat the crap out of this tripe any day. VB from Oz has a similar taste actually. The only place you can get decent beer in Oz is WA and SA. Emu bitter, Swan Lager or any Cooper's is good.

Chang? I would rather drink water.

The interesting thing is that you can by Chang Beer under the same brand and same bottle more or less all over the world, but when you check the alcohol level it is different from country to country, no wonder that it tastes different?

Has anyone here ever experienced grilled mango, orange blossom honey, and Hawaiian bread toast aromas when drinking a beer?

Nope. Which is why we're here and not travelling the world sampling beers and reviewing them in 'Beer Monthly' and other trade journals. There again upon sampling my last Chang, I did comment to the wife on the resemblance in taste to rusty strawberry with a hint of linament.

You know, I was getting thirsty reading this so I went down to Rimping and got a couple of bottles. I never took the time to smell the beer right out of the bottle no ice. It really is a good smelling beer, and good tasting too. If I let my imagination run wild I can smell all the odors that they used to describe the smell and taste. I like the alcohol content being a bit high as with ice its about right. I like the taste of Chiang Draft with no ice out of the bottle, it appears to be a lighter version of the same beer. I think the reason it gets a bad rap down here sometimes is because the price was so cheap to us foreigners, and we drank so much and had such bad hangovers, we started to give it a bad name. Sort of the LOW SO beer. I like it and order it, I like Myanmar beer better, and Lao beer better than Myanmar but for Thailand, Chiang is my beer of choice.

Edited by swain

Most Thai beers contain malt, hops, rice and due to the heat, some ingredients designed to make the beer last on the shelf in the hot weather. Some, like the big green H have flavors imported from Singapore to add to the taste. The new one, Federbrau, is not allowed to have any additives or it would lose it German certification. Most people do not realise that chemicals are used in most beers, especially preservatives in hot climates. There is a reason why some beers have a lot of foam and others don't, and it is largely to do with those chemicals. Most beer drinkers tend to be biased towards what they themselves drink. Surprisingly, in the two blind taste tests I have participated in here in Thailand, Heineken came near the bottom for everyone even if they said beforehand it was their usual pint. The added ingredients become more obvious when you can't see the "premium" bottle and hear the marketing.

Surprisingly, for me anyway, Archa and Leo usually come high in the rankings, especially if there are Thai people in the majority, as both have a milder taste than many others but without losing their bite. Singha Light is noticebly disagreeable to most people for its lack of taste.

@Hanimal: Interesting. So the ones that have a lot of foam do not contain the chemicals?

As for German beers, I believe almost no German beer uses chemicals or other preservatives except hops. I believe that is why they have a short shelf life and are rather difficult to export. By the time they arrive, you only have another month or so to sell them.

Edited by yongli

Most Thai pubs or restaurants don't have a tap and serve beer out of a bottle. this have an great influence on the taste. breweries should set up training programs for serving beer. Also the way you clean the beer glass is very important also, may not put cleaning products in the water, must clean two time in different tanks with running water. If not do like that you will not have nice foam, and the taste will be lousy.

Thai pubs serve all there beer in the same kind of glass, when in fact every kind of beer has is typical kind of glass. I don't blame Thai don't do like that because they have no beer culture.

but going back to OP Chang is not too bad, its called beer, its look like beer, its in a beer bottle so i presume it must be beer. But this also so for Singha, Leo or heineken.

That's why I seldom drink beer in Thailand because its just don't taste good as the beers I get used to it in my county. When I go supermarket I buy some Hoegaerden, Duvel, Rodenbach or a Leffe. From my home country I bring the specific glasses for each beer. So when I sit on the balcony I feel like back home on some terrace, the only difference is that are no girls to watch :o

Bright golden color. Honeyed raisin toast aromas with a hint of lychee follow through on a crisp, smooth entry to a dryish medium body with a hint of apple, nut, and a solid roasted grain character. Finishes with a crisp, balanced earthy hop and pizza dough fade.

:o

beer chang is a nice lager,...but to say it'sa "Thai" beer is not telling the whole truth,....Chang was originally made by the Carlsburg brewery then sold to the Thai owner,....the best beer in the whole wide world is Royal Oak an ancient British beer made by monks centuries ago in Somerset,...per gravity it is just about the strongest beer in the world,....and pure nectar

QUOTE (yongli @ 2009-01-10 16:31:08) post_snapback.gif

As for German beers, I believe almost no German beer uses chemicals or other preservatives except hops. I believe that is why they have a short shelf life and are rather difficult to export. By the time they arrive, you only have another month or so to sell them.

In germany they have a law "Reinheitsgebot" about beer, that's why german brewed beer can only have natural ingredients and have no chemicals or preservatives. Thats why also in a pub"Stube or Wirschaft" they serve lager beers only by draft; The same go's for Belgium and Holland.

This is just another Marketing scam. They all take turn to win a award, from various institution, magazines, survey, etc.

Have been flow an airlines that has not an award?

Or driven a car that has not be voted best car of the year?

Or attended a university that is not on a top 10 list of some kind?

Or seen a movie that has no nomination?

Or drink a beer that never won a gold medel?

All brands won awards. The frequency of the winning depended on their marketing budget.

Edited by samgrowth

beer chang is a nice lager,...but to say it'sa "Thai" beer is not telling the whole truth,....Chang was originally made by the Carlsburg brewery then sold to the Thai owner,....the best beer in the whole wide world is Royal Oak an ancient British beer made by monks centuries ago in Somerset,...per gravity it is just about the strongest beer in the world,....and pure nectar

We have beers up to 12% alcohol.

You can by a Leffe in almost every carefour with 6,5 up to 9% alcohol. Sometimes you can even find a Rodenbach.

For the genuine beer lovers amongst us I give the website of Michael Jackson the most respected beer connoisseur worldwide. Regrettable he is no longer amongst us, but he left for big brewery in the here after

http://www.beerhunter.com/worldview.html

This is just another Marketing scam. They all take turn to win a award, from various institution, magazines, survey, etc.

Have been flow an airlines that has not an award?

Or driven a car that has not be voted best car of the year?

Or attended a university that is not on a top 10 list of some kind?

Or seen a movie that has no nomination?

Or drink a beer that never won a gold medel?

All brands won awards. The frequency of the winning depended on their marketing budget.

AHAA!!....I wondered how long it would take someone to see through all the hype!....gold star ...10/10....go to top of the class!!

Edited by dee123

per gravity is the thing you gotta look out for ,....it's easy to make a strong beer but the taste suffers,...and it almost turns into a spirit ,(with beers thick and black),....but you will find that monks in EU and UK invented what we know as beer,....