Beer Chang Wins Gold Medal In The 2008 World Beer Championships

Jai Dee

Unlike cars alcohol is an addictive drug.

Hm, ask a Thai what he will give up first, his alcohol consumption or his car.

BTW there workaholics, chocoholics;,sexoholics, internet-oholics, smoke-oholics and addicted gamblers People can get addicted to almost everything.

So I presume that you call the French, Italians, Spanish alcoholics because they drink wine with their dinner alcoholics. And why not calling Catholic priests alcoholics because they celebrate mess with wine.

Even Jesus transformed water into wine, so why you don't call him an drug dealer.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad someone montioned the "bad bottle" bit.As the wine is so dear here in LOS I have changed(back) to beer and really do like Chang. However in the last couple of months have come across more than a couple of bad bottles. I think its got something to do with the cleaning of the bottles with residue of whatever being left in the lines(rather than at the retail end) I not only encountered it down in Bag Saen, then again several times up in Nong Khai.It seems to be only the big bottles. The small bottles and the cans-no problem.

Has anyone else come agross this as I intend to write to Thai Bev about it? I don't find it that strong-in fact can't remember the last time "an elephant sat on my head"

I've had a few from Tescos in Ban Chang where the bottle obviously wasn't rinsed out properly after being steralised with bleach.

So I presume that you call the French, Italians, Spanish alcoholics because they drink wine with their dinner alcoholics.

Are you saying they don't have alcoholism problems?

And I don't get the argument about cars being addictive - unlike drinking most people try to SAVE money on maintanance.

So I presume that you call the French, Italians, Spanish alcoholics because they drink wine with their dinner alcoholics.

Are you saying they don't have alcoholism problems?

And I don't get the argument about cars being addictive - unlike drinking most people try to SAVE money on maintanance.

Not more than the Americans have a puritan and hypocrisy addiction.

Beer Chang wins Gold? I admit its not a bad beer, but this smells of thai/american backhanders, could It be a little bit of, dare I say, corruption somewhere along the line?! Actually who really cares what the thai/americans think about beer anyway, I believe the Germans should be up in the top five beers. I smell a dodgy deal! :o

After the Great Britain Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Chang sits down and says, "Hey bartender, I would like the world's best beer, a Chang." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him

one.

The guy from Heineken says, "I'd like the only beer made with fresh spring water, give me a Heineken" He gets it.

The guy from Stella sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered.

The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Stella" and the Stella president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."

And the joke was the guy from Stella. Amazing how their repeated victories at the World Domestic Abuse Festival have made them so cocky.

Its because the Brits don't know how to limit themselves, isn't "Binge drinking) not an typical British phenomena. And of course drinking dishwater for centuries and know get the real stuff they don't know how to handle it, they act and behave like children in a candy store. We see this typical British behaviour all over the continent when British low life's come to spend their holiday on the Spanish Costa's and cup football games over here. They are used to the fact that English pubs have stringent opening times while this is not so in the continent; Over Here we don't have to order 5 pints before the bell rings, because Pubs can be open 24/7.

You better look to the reasons why there is domestic abuse and not to the beer. Why its only in the UK they call Stella a wife beater and not in any other European country.

BTW I'm an Anglophile.

http://www.stellaartois.com/en_US/battle-of-good-vs-evil

OK, but do you really think that Stella's a "good" beer? Honestly, it always stuck me as a run-of-the mill mass-market pale lager that was just riding the coat-tails of the reputation of Belgian brews. Think of it this way: Becks is to German Beer as Stella is to Belgian Beer. I'm not saying that your country doensn't brew great beers, I'm just saying that Stella isn't one of them.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Chang beer is clearly listed as number 90. Brewed at Cosmos Brewery in Ayutthaya.

What threw me off was that when they claimed that they won "Gold" I mistakenly assumed that it meant that they came in first place. They did not, they scored "90", which I guess is good, but is behind sevaral others. Do you work for Chang?

Edited by OriginalPoster

The export version of Chang is 100% malt. The one in Thailand contains some rice. The export version tastes similar to Chang draft, but it is not exactly the same recipe. The export version is only 5% alcohol (possibly still too strong for Americans and Aussies). :o

I'm no Budwesier fan, but Budweiser is also 5% alcohol. The problem with Bud/Miller/Coors is not the alcohol level, but it's interesting that alchohol content would be what some people think that beer is all about.

With a history of rigged elections the US of A does not really surprise me with a outcome like that.

BUT the Gold Medal won in Brussels? Probably the contest was arranged and paid by Thai Bev, otherwise I can not understand why the worst beer in Thailand can win medals abroad, not speaking of being allowed on the market (check the chemicals!!).

It's predictable that any thread on ThaiVisa with the word "beer" or "pizza" in it will bring out the America haters. All that happened here Chang found a website run by unkown people and got a "gold medal" from them, and then Chang put out a press release. While it might be the case that America has committed unforgivable sins against you and that you have have the right to hate every last thing and person who comes from there, your animosity is misdirected in this case.

No way that I hate every last thing from America (including the United States) and person who comes from there. I just stated the fact that it does not surprise me that in a country like the USA there are "electional" outcomes like that.

Please do not write accusations like I hate americans (including my many american friends) and the like, because that is not the fact.

OK, but why is it that you think that this competition is a reflection of the USA? You are I could set up a website and grant awards to beers too, would that reflect poorly on whatever coutnry it is that you and I come from? Chang (a Thai company) issued a misleading press release to make it look like the won an an international beer competition hosted in the US, and you immediately case aspestions upon the US for it. That, my friend, is typical.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Most of us who live here in Thailand already know what Beer Chang tastes like and have our own opinions. Those opinions will not change because of some award being won in the USA. Who could seriously believe any "World Championship" award from a country where they call their ultimate Baseball championship a "World Series" (no other teams outside America compete and the name was coined by journalists) and where announcers call the winning team in the American Superbowl Football final as "World Champions" (only played by American teams). We all know that the usual run of the mill American beer is just coloured water, so the palates of the judges would not be acquainted with truly great beers from various parts of the world. A vast majority of really great Breweries don't have to enter their beer into these type of competitions as they already have a market and don't have to prove anything. Are the entries in these competitions the true brews that are sold at our local bars??? I don't think so!!!

Ahh... the voice of ignorance. Thanks for speaking up.

Anyone know the number one selling beer in the world, including Europe?

scroll down for answer

Budweiser.

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Do you know the biggest brewer in the world

scroll down for answer

Inbev,(Flemish company)

took over Budweiser, so in a few years they will start to learn to drink real beer in the US.

Do you know in which country the most Hoegaarden is sold each year?

Scroll down for the answer...

USA.

P.S. your animosity towards American brewers is really misplaced. Leaving Bud/Miller/Coors out of the equation, over the last 20 years there has been a real renaissance of brewing amongst the regional breweries in the US. Any open mind would admit that they have displayed great inginuity and have produced a great number of notable beers of many styles, including Belgian styles and some notable improvisions upon various old-world styles. If the last time that you researched the US beer market was 1975, then I could understand your viewpoint.

Edited by OriginalPoster

After the Great Britain Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Chang sits down and says, "Hey bartender, I would like the world's best beer, a Chang." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

The guy from Budweiser says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him

one.

The guy from Heineken says, "I'd like the only beer made with fresh spring water, give me a Heineken" He gets it.

The guy from Stella sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken aback, but gives him what he ordered.

The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Stella" and the Stella president replies, "Well, I figured if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither would I."

And the joke was the guy from Stella. Amazing how their repeated victories at the World Domestic Abuse Festival have made them so cocky.

Its because the Brits don't know how to limit themselves, isn't "Binge drinking) not an typical British phenomena. And of course drinking dishwater for centuries and know get the real stuff they don't know how to handle it, they act and behave like children in a candy store. We see this typical British behaviour all over the continent when British low life's come to spend their holiday on the Spanish Costa's and cup football games over here. They are used to the fact that English pubs have stringent opening times while this is not so in the continent; Over Here we don't have to order 5 pints before the bell rings, because Pubs can be open 24/7.

You better look to the reasons why there is domestic abuse and not to the beer. Why its only in the UK they call Stella a wife beater and not in any other European country.

BTW I'm an Anglophile.

http://www.stellaartois.com/en_US/battle-of-good-vs-evil

OK, but do you really think that Stella's a "good" beer? Honestly, it always stuck me as a run-of-the mill mass-market pale lager that was just riding the coat-tails of the reputation of Belgian brews. Think of it this way: Becks is to German Beer as Stella is to Belgian Beer. I'm not saying that your country doensn't brew great beers, I'm just saying that Stella isn't one of them.

Agree with you, there are much more better lagers than Stella in Belgium. But did you drink Stella as a draft beer of served from a bottle. Like most draft beers the cooling and the maintenance of the tap must be perfect and run a lot. If the pub don't sell a barrel a day, the beer quality is far from perfect.

BTW Becks is also belonging to INBEV.

Anyone know the number one selling beer in the world, including Europe?

scroll down for answer

Budweiser.

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Do you know the biggest brewer in the world

scroll down for answer

Inbev,(Flemish company)

took over Budweiser, so in a few years they will start to learn to drink real beer in the US.

Do you know in which country the most Hoegaarden is sold each year?

Scroll down for the answer...

USA.

P.S. your animosity towards American brewers is really misplaced. Leaving Bud/Miller/Coors out of the equation, over the last 20 years there has been a real renaissance of brewing amongst the regional breweries in the US. Any open mind would admit that they have displayed great inginuity and have produced a great number of notable beers of many styles, including Belgian styles and some notable improvisions upon various old-world styles. If the last time that you researched the US beer market was 1975, then I could understand your viewpoint.

Indeed I confess my knowledge about the US beer market is probably outdated.

I know that the when the ex owner sold the Hoagaerden brewery to Inbev he started a brewery in the states, with great success, now his son is runing the brewery, but I can't recal the name of their beer;

If you like to dring a perfect Hoegaerden you schould put the glass in the freezer till its icy and than pull in the beer in and put an half slice of lemon in it. The perfect drink for an hot summer day.