Most Overpriced Offer Of Internet In A Condo

theworldislikearide

I have been condo hunting recently. As I am sure you all know being a foreigner in this country normally induces some over the top offers for rental prices.

However I wondered what the worst offer people have been given for having the internet in their room on top of the original rental price?

I personally feel that a basic internet should be offered by all condos for free, mainly because it is a good advertisement for condo owners to be able to sell their fixed rate rooms that may otherwise have been unoccupied in a world that relies on having the internet evermore. However I can understand why they may charge a small fee, for example to cover LAN installation that may have cost a fair bit at the outset.

Yesterday I went around a few condos near victory monument. The first (Thai owned) offered a 512kb LAN service for around 250thb a month extra and a 1MB one for around 350thb extra. I think this is reasonable, particularly for LAN.

Then I went in a few that were chinese owned and the prices were all quoted for WiFi (generally unreliable in my experience). The worst offer I got was for 1000thb a month extra for a wireless 256kb connection! (the rent price was already very high...9000 for a small studio with nothing) I just laughed and moved on hoping that it showed them I knew how ridiculous their offer was.

Has anyone been given any even sillier offers before moving in?

Yeah I get silly offers all the time, some offer 10000 when i advertise at 14000, probably yourself, so lets see you want internet that generally cost about 5-600 a month to the landlord and you want it for 250 or free etc and lets not forget many suppliers want a minimum contract of 6 months oh but you only want to stay 3 months...........sure we can do that ,why not just stay for free.

On top of that will you be wanting the all new good quality furniture all new 32" lcd tv spanking new bathroom and fittings, top notch security cameras everywhere, a huge balcony with uninterrupted views, anything else???? Will that be 2 or 3 bedrooms for 9000?

Sorry I forgot within 100mm of a BTS line.

I personally feel you are daydreaming, but good luck.

PS they probably thought you were happy when you laughed.

Yeah I get silly offers all the time, some offer 10000 when i advertise at 14000, probably yourself, so lets see you want internet that generally cost about 5-600 a month to the landlord and you want it for 250 or free etc and lets not forget many suppliers want a minimum contract of 6 months oh but you only want to stay 3 months...........sure we can do that ,why not just stay for free.

On top of that will you be wanting the all new good quality furniture all new 32" lcd tv spanking new bathroom and fittings, top notch security cameras everywhere, a huge balcony with uninterrupted views, anything else???? Will that be 2 or 3 bedrooms for 9000?

I can not add more you right in every thing you said

You think that 590 baht a month internet connection is going to be used exclusively by one condo only? More likely multiple condo tenants each paying 250 a month...

Daydreaming? The topic wasn't about not being able to find somewhere offering free internet. I could, did and currently have just that. In fact a 2MB LAN line to be precise thrown in with my rent. The topic was about the extremes people have been charged for meagre/poor internet access on top of rent in certain condos when house hunting. I am sure they knew I wasn't happy when I laughed however I can promise you that I am happy now that I am currently laughing at your inability to respond to a simple topic!

Back to why the topic was created and the logic behind it:

Well let's say it is 5-600thb a month for the landlord to have internet in a condo. Presuming it is a fixed line with a wireless router plugged into it enabling open access to people of that condo then the cost will remain at 5-600 a month. Whether I move in or not will not affect how much they are paying for it. The only thing that will be affected is if I move in and they get 7000thb a month (rent for example) for what would otherwise have probably been an empty room. Therefore trying to charge for something that costs them nothing extra to give for free could result in them losing 7000thb a month to a competitor over the road who twigged it would be a good extra to offer in a competitive market.

On the off chance they have to install a separate line that costs them 600thb a month to have internet then the net profit per month is 7000thb a month minus 600. Still a profit of 6300thb every month instead of 0 for that room should I have gone elsewhere. Putting me off by overcharging for internet is costly in either circumstance.

Daydreaming? The topic wasn't about not being able to find somewhere offering free internet. I could, did and currently have just that. In fact a 2MB LAN line to be precise thrown in with my rent. The topic was about the extremes people have been charged for meagre/poor internet access on top of rent in certain condos when house hunting. I am sure they knew I wasn't happy when I laughed however I can promise you that I am happy now that I am currently laughing at your inability to respond to a simple topic!

Well let's say it is 5-600thb a month for the landlord to have internet in a condo. Presuming it is a fixed line with a wireless router plugged into it enabling open access to people of that condo then the cost will remain at 5-600 a month. Whether I move in or not will not affect how much they are paying for it. The only thing that will be affected is if I move in and they get 7000thb a month (rent for example) for what would otherwise have probably been an empty room. Therefore trying to charge for something that costs them nothing extra to give for free could result in them losing 7000thb a month to a competitor over the road who twigged it would be a good extra to offer in a competitive market.

On the off chance they have to install a separate line that costs them 600thb a month to have internet then the net profit per month is 7000thb a month minus 600. Still a profit of 6300thb every month instead of 0 for that room should I have gone elsewhere. Putting me off by overcharging for internet is costly in either circumstance.

You don't understand how Thais think of a competitive market. This is Thailand not the West. I agree with you but you should try to understand you are here not in your home country. don't patronise Thais or think tyey must think in a western way

You don't understand how Thais think of a competitive market. This is Thailand not the West. I agree with you but you should try to understand you are here not in your home country. don't patronise Thais or think tyey must think in a western way

I'm not patronising anybody. Every one is free to offer business in any way they like and I would not be condescending to them in any deliberate way. What I ultimately said was 'If one condo offers it free then I will use them instead of one that tries to charge for it.' Both are businesses in this country so my argument consisted of a spectrum of purely Thai business.

If I had said 'It should be free because it is in Farangland' then maybe. But what I said was 'it should be free because if it isn't then I may go to a similar business over the road where it is' (both are owned by the same nationality).

Edited by theworldislikearide

You think that 590 baht a month internet connection is going to be used exclusively by one condo only? More likely multiple condo tenants each paying 250 a month...

Well the wifes got 4 condos in the same complex and each one has its own phone line and internet @ 560 a month and thats the price to us.

Do you live in a condo or appartment? Appartment where 1 owner owns the whole building?

Do you live in a condo or appartment? Appartment where 1 owner owns the whole building?

Talking about an apartment block in all cases. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Talking about an apartment block in all cases. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Yes appartment is a different kettle of fish, individual condos we have costs us 5-600 month each for internet and this would mean losing 5% of our profit it we gave it away free.

When i lived in Bangkok a few years back. Lad Prao actually. When i first moved in the only way i could get internet was by connecting via the switchboard and was cut off after every 15 minutes. :o But when i eventually got a direct line. I had to pay True their monthly fee(590baht) and then the line rental(100 baht if i remember) then on top off that i had to pay the manager an extra 500 baht. I guess that was for her. But as i didnt really have a choice i paid.

However I wondered what the worst offer people have been given for having the internet in their room on top of the original rental price?

I personally feel that a basic internet should be offered by all condos for free, mainly because it is a good advertisement for condo owners to be able to sell their fixed rate rooms that may otherwise have been unoccupied in a world that relies on having the internet evermore. However I can understand why they may charge a small fee, for example to cover LAN installation that may have cost a fair bit at the outset.

Why would Internet, in fact, anything , be for free?

Water is not a big expense but it is not for free and nobody complains.

Where Internet is "free" it is already calculated into the price, like inflight meals on a plane.

The cost to the owner is whatever the Internet provider charges them and in that price bracket (7000B) it's quite likely nobody would give a <deleted> about Internet or even computers altogether.

I answered your question in the message you responded to.

Every unit of water that is used in an apartment would have to be paid for because it is probably metered. It would be silly to give something like that for free because it could get abused. Internet on the other hand is likely to be one connection (that costs the owner a fixed fee that will not change whether it is 1 person or 100 that use it).

It will be hooked up to a wireless network, probably given a private password key, and then offered to every resident of that condo. My point, simple really and I am not sure why some people can not wrap their head around it, is that empty rooms in an apartment are empty stock or unused capital depending on what way you want to define it. Every empty room is basically -7000thb a month.

Considering it would not cost the owner anything to offer it free (presuming they already have the network installed...and most of them do these days even in 3000thb a month apartments) then it would be a clever way to offer a competitive advantage and maximise the chances of minimising those -7000thb (or whatever the rent is per month) rooms.

Yabba I would say that some of the online estate agents are a total rip off, they are mainly targeting at people whoes company is paying for it so the price is really not an issue. If you want to get a good price then go to the condo and they will have a list of apartments available.

Condo managers get paid commissions on rentals just the same as agents, do you think they do it as a public service? Likewise owners charge the same to pocket the commission.

Every unit of water that is used in an apartment would have to be paid for because it is probably metered. It would be silly to give something like that for free because it could get abused. Internet on the other hand is likely to be one connection (that costs the owner a fixed fee that will not change whether it is 1 person or 100 that use it).

It will be hooked up to a wireless network, probably given a private password key, and then offered to every resident of that condo.

In my block, the owners demand 1000Baht per month for UBC . I presume if they already have it in the building, then they are profiteering......

I answered your question in the message you responded to.

It will be hooked up to a wireless network, probably given a private password key, and then offered to every resident of that condo. My point, simple really and I am not sure why some people can not wrap their head around it, is that empty rooms in an apartment are empty stock or unused capital depending on what way you want to define it. Every empty room is basically -7000thb a month.

Considering it would not cost the owner anything to offer it free (presuming they already have the network installed...and most of them do these days even in 3000thb a month apartments) then it would be a clever way to offer a competitive advantage and maximise the chances of minimising those -7000thb (or whatever the rent is per month) rooms.

why would someone in a 3000 baht apartment need internet?

What I don't get is, if somebody has the budget to rent a condo then why not just rent a house instead.

The only downside that I can think of possibly lower security, but for the same money as a condo one could rent a furnished/comfortable house and have the option of having whatever internet, cable...etc. connection you like.

What I don't get is, if somebody has the budget to rent a condo then why not just rent a house instead.

The only downside that I can think of possibly lower security, but for the same money as a condo one could rent a furnished/comfortable house and have the option of having whatever internet, cable...etc. connection you like.

people dont want to live in the sticks.