Chiang Mai Google Earth

mnbcm

Chiang Mai is one of the more confusing cities I've lived in. I've found that using GPS and updating Google Earth with placemarks as I find important places has really helped me get around better. Does anyone have any placemarks, overlays, or GPS coordinates that they would be willing to upload and share with me? Coordinates to anywhere from malls to hospitals to Lotus would be helpful. Thanks!

I am just the opposite as I think CM is one of the easier cities to find things. The difficulty I have is getting to those places especially the first time I go there. For me it is the one way and very narrow streets that make my difficulties a challenge. Knowing where stores/businesses/etc are located is easy to find out with all the maps provided for this city but actually getting there, one has to be creative. :o

Here are a few I have so far. You can just copy and paste those coordinates into the Google Earth search bar if you've never done it before.

Airport Plaza Mall ..... 18°46'8.56"N, 98°58'30.64"E

Big C .................. 18°44'35.84"N, 98°57'44.72"E

Mike's Hot Dogs ........ 18°47'31.87"N, 98°59'37.63"E

700 Year Stadium ....... 18°50'22.42"N, 98°57'33.86"E

Wat Doi Suthep ......... 18°48'18.14"N, 98°55'18.09"E

Chiang Mai University .. 18°48'12.14"N, 98°57'8.70"E

Train Station .......... 18°47'0.54"N, 99° 1'0.03"E

Municipal Stadium ...... 18°48'0.23"N, 98°59'18.10"E

Carrefour .............. 18°47'54.80"N, 99° 1'20.05"E

Tesco Lotus ............ 18°45'31.61"N, 98°58'20.37"E

Edited by mnbcm

I have been living here more than 20 years, and I found GPS very interesting and very valuable in finding my way around Chiang Mai. Everytime I'm out wondering around and find an unused (by me) side street, I turn off an follow it to the end. It has given me many, many new areas to explore :o

Get a bicycle and join the Chiang Mai Cycling Club (www.cmcycling.org) on Sunday mornings at Tapae Gate at 7:30 AM. The short rides around the city will have you familiar with Chiang Mai in just a few weeks. They do a short ride around the city, usually to places you would never find on your own, and then a longer ride follows once back at Tapae Gate. A friendly group of mostly Thai riders, and there is no club fee...just show up. I have to admit that I on some of my first long excursions, I had to use a GPS to find my way back home! Bicycling in Chiang Mai is a very relaxing way to explore and to learn all the roads.

I have been living here more than 20 years, and I found GPS very interesting and very valuable in finding my way around Chiang Mai.

What GPS do folks recommend, with details such as price, vehicle mounted, handheld or incl with a mobile phone. Thanks

I have been living here more than 20 years, and I found GPS very interesting and very valuable in finding my way around Chiang Mai.

What GPS do folks recommend, with details such as price, vehicle mounted, handheld or incl with a mobile phone. Thanks

That really depends on your needs. For me, I want to be able to backtrack my way out of the woods, set waypoints for places I want to find again, and keep a down-loadable log of my elevation climbed and heartbeat as I bike. My GPS, a Garmin 301 Forerunner is very small and mounts on the handlebars of the bike. You can get them at Pantip Plaza (at least in CM) for about 7000 baht. If you want internal map databases, then the price goes up pretty quickly. If you are serious about buying one, check out the shops and see what they have. Then you can gauge it against what you want to do with it. The newer GPS units have speech synthesizers that tell you what is coming up and where to turn. The sky is the limit with these toys.

Hi everyone...

I am working on new site for CHIANG MAI... ChiangMaiDirectory.asia Not live yet :-) I will put a preview on www.chiangmaiclassifieds.net ... when it is there in BETA i will let you know. It will be a fully interactive MAP based Directory.... I would love your feedback to make improvements.

I would love to have a phone with GPS. I don't really need it for directions like the kind you put in a car; I just need the coordinates. Any phones out there do that? The only reason I'd like it on my phone is then I don't have 2 devices in my pocket. :o I tend to leave things in my pockets and drop crap off my motorbike so the less I'm carrying around the better!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to jump in here with something a bit off topic, but a quick question.

Does the law say a helmet must be word when riding a bicycle?

Yes it does. Policemen are surprised (and probably disapointed) when you go through a checkpoint with a helmet and valid license.

Edited by mnbcm

I would love to have a phone with GPS. I don't really need it for directions like the kind you put in a car; I just need the coordinates. Any phones out there do that? The only reason I'd like it on my phone is then I don't have 2 devices in my pocket. :o I tend to leave things in my pockets and drop crap off my motorbike so the less I'm carrying around the better!

Certainly there must be others, but personally I use the iPhone 3G... built in GPS, and with a third party program (free) you can pull your grid in lat/long. And... the iPhone runs Google Earth.

Try this site if you really want to learn about Chiang Mai the Thai way, i.e. navigating by sights and landmarks...

http://www.mapjack.com/?wRZyU2aeacLG7CoA

/ Priceless

I agree. This site is also just plain fun. Be glad that the author happens to like Chiang Mai and has spent some time cruising around. This sort of "street scape" information is increasing very rapidly worldwide, much to the consternation of the CIA, KGB and others!

But, I do suggest old-fashioned maps are still more practical! For really getting around, iPhone and GPS (in English) for Thailand are not here yet. For Chiang Mai, I strongly suggest two maps: the "Chiang Mai Big Map" and Nancy Chandler's "Map of Chiang Mai." Both are available all over town, if you can make your way to a book store! Just tell 'em Mapguy sent you!

Oh yeah, for the directionally deprived (!), Doi Suthep is on the west! Deal with it from there! But don't expect others to know or to navigate that way! That's part of the fun --- until you get to the place you want and you can't park. That's not fun.

Almost forgot: If you can't see Doi Suthep, send a personal message to Priceless!

Edited by Mapguy