Computer Crash This Morning ?

marshbags

Was on the computer this morning when it crashed for no apparent reason at 0.8.40 ish

I tried to restart it via the reset button but couldn,t.

I switched the power off and after a short delay, tried to restart it but couldn,t.

I again repeated the above after a longer delay, but still couldn,t.

Decided to leave it off including the power supply until this afternoon ( 15.30 )and it started as normal, no problem and no indication as to why.

Could the cold have anything to do with it by any remote chance as other than that i cannot think of a reason as to why.

It was very cold in the sun shaded area where my computer is.

Any input on this would be appreciated please.

Also if there is a way to solve the problem, should it happen again.

I did a virus check after start up in addition to the one that normally takes place as a precaution.

As i am not computer savvy when it comes to the technical side of things, i find this forum a brilliant scource of information and a genuine thanks to you all for patience and understanding towards us non technical members.

Just noted the Computer/Networking FAQs and References section by the way, which is also very informative .

marshbags :o:D

Edited by marshbags

When my computer starts doing those things it usually means the mainboard or the RAM is going. But then my computer is about 50m from the ocean in a non-ac room, so these things happen to me fairly regularly (condensation, rust, etc etc)

There are a number of different causes for a crash. Each time WinXP crashes it should be writing out a mini crash dump file to %windir%\minidump, e.g. c:\windows\minidump. In there you might find information you should post.

Further it is necessary that you provide more specific and detailed information what actually was happening.

was the computer already running for a while?

do you have any external hardware connected?

what are the specs of your computer?

The more information you provide the easier it is to determine the culprit.

My first guess is a faulty power supply unit but the information you provided aren't enough for a "diagnosis".

Was on the computer this morning when it crashed for no apparent reason at 0.8.40 ish

I switched the power off and after a short delay, tried to restart it but couldn,t.

When you say 'couldn't' what do you mean? Did the power light come on? Could you hear the fans and hard drive spinning up? Anything on the screen?

have you moved the computer recently???

i had similar problem a while back after moving pc from one room to the other.....

just open it up and re seated the boards (one moved a little bit from its socket) and has been good ever since...

as for being to cold unless you have a condensation problem don't think could be too cold...

i work i a recording room with lots of electronic gear and we wear coats in there its so cold...

good luck

Do you mean that machine was dead when you tried to re-start?

If no power, then start with the PSU. (Power unit, a large box inside the cabinet, into which the AC cable goes, usualy with a rocker switch and a fan). This is often the least well made part of a comercial PC. I have more of these fail than HDD's.

If the PC is getting power, (lights on, HDD's spinning etc) all the comments above are valid: Re-seating boards and HDD connections and RAM sticks that may have been dislodged.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is take out the HDD and take off any data I wanted. NOW!

It does sound like a HDD problem, and also if you didnt have a HDD problem before, all the dodgy ON/OFF attempts might be starting one.

If you find a solution, let us know. Good luck.

Do you mean that machine was dead when you tried to re-start?

If no power, then start with the PSU. (Power unit, a large box inside the cabinet, into which the AC cable goes, usualy with a rocker switch and a fan). This is often the least well made part of a comercial PC. I have more of these fail than HDD's.

If the PC is getting power, (lights on, HDD's spinning etc) all the comments above are valid: Re-seating boards and HDD connections and RAM sticks that may have been dislodged.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is take out the HDD and take off any data I wanted. NOW!

It does sound like a HDD problem, and also if you didnt have a HDD problem before, all the dodgy ON/OFF attempts might be starting one.

If you find a solution, let us know. Good luck.

On pre start up the power came on as usual, along with my usual no signal display.

I tried as i usually do to start the comp. up via the control button above the restart, 15 seconds after, but nothing happened apart from a click sound then no start up.

It usually boots up at this stage.

I also tried the restart as well as an alternative, but with the same non reponsive result.

I would like to do as you suggest and save the data, but don,t know how to, not being technically / computer savvy.

Any help on this in simplistic terminology would be very much appreciated.

I was considering purchasing one of those memory sticks to save important data but don,t know what size or make to buy or what it would hold.

Again any advice would be welcome on the size ect.

Thanks to all who have replied and tried to assist me.

marshbags :o

P.S.

The computer has started up as normal since i mentioned, i only hope i,m not tempting fate by saying this, but i,d still like to be prepared for a possible repeat and maybe preventing it happening in the future.

When you say 'couldn't' what do you mean? Did the power light come on? Could you hear the fans and hard drive spinning up? Anything on the screen?

On pre start up the power light came on as usual, ( just a flicker ) along with my usual no signal display on the monitor.

The modem was lit up as normal and was every time, just in case this is helpful.

I tried as i usually do to start the comp. up via the control button above the restart, but nothing happened apart from a click sound then no start up.

No other sounds re fan ect. only silence after the click i mentioned.

I also tried the restart button as well as an alternative, but with the same non reponsive result.

Thanks for your response and asking further on my problem, endure.

I,ve also posted a more in depth reply to " spacefruit " and thought a polite response was in order for your good self re the question.

Overheated perhaps?

The brief reply is acknowledged and appreciated BM and does not reflect on my other comment re the news threads where some crazy posting takes place at times.

I was wondering about possible overheating as it fits in with the longish shut down and then being able to restart as normal.

It also suggested possible component failure, but what, i hadn,t a clue until the replies were posted.

Please keep the positive one liners coming, as they are much appreciated and acknowledged by all members.

No condescending, sarcasm or other related stuff intended.

Thanks for your imput.

Edited by marshbags

Your question regarding effects of cold temperatures might relate to what someone mentioned about loose connections: in as much that contraction might cause a connection to come loose, and then when the air warms up the connection is back.

Check all your power cord connections - wall sockets, UPS, computer, etc. - by unplugging and then re-seating them firmly. The suggestion to reseat the internal boards and cables is also a good one but it sounds as if you are not that familiar with things computers.

As was pointed out, one of the first things to consider is overheating, so you might try and determine if you can hear the fans running and if just before the computer shut down did you notice an increase in fan speed. Some times the fans and or the temperature sensors that control their speed go bad. My son's computer has a Pentium 4 CPU which has a huge aluminum heat sink made up of thin plates which plug up with dust very easily so once a year or so the fans start going into over drive and the thing has to be disassembled and cleaned or it will start shutting down due to heat build up.

Probably what you should do is get a recommendation for a competent honest computer service shop close to where you live and just take it in for a check up. This should only cost a few hundred baht and you'd have the relief of knowing a professional has things under control - the key words here are competent and honest. There are many Thai shops and techs that meet those criteria - and just as many who don't...

Your question regarding effects of cold temperatures might relate to what someone mentioned about loose connections: in as much that contraction might cause a connection to come loose, and then when the air warms up the connection is back.

Check all your power cord connections - wall sockets, UPS, computer, etc. - by unplugging and then re-seating them firmly. The suggestion to reseat the internal boards and cables is also a good one but it sounds as if you are not that familiar with things computers.

As was pointed out, one of the first things to consider is overheating, so you might try and determine if you can hear the fans running and if just before the computer shut down did you notice an increase in fan speed. Some times the fans and or the temperature sensors that control their speed go bad. My son's computer has a Pentium 4 CPU which has a huge aluminum heat sink made up of thin plates which plug up with dust very easily so once a year or so the fans start going into over drive and the thing has to be disassembled and cleaned or it will start shutting down due to heat build up.

Probably what you should do is get a recommendation for a competent honest computer service shop close to where you live and just take it in for a check up. This should only cost a few hundred baht and you'd have the relief of knowing a professional has things under control - the key words here are competent and honest. There are many Thai shops and techs that meet those criteria - and just as many who don't...

Thanks for the reply mO2.

Can anyone recommend a good, competent, honest computer service shop in Udonthani, please.

My previous favourite has now got several inexperienced engineers working for him and the reliablity, sadly has now gone with the expansion.

Last time they kept it for over 2 weeks ( told no more than 2/3 days ) and when it came back, much of my data had been lost, some of it important and personal, some not so, but all stuff i valued.

I,ve just about got most of it downloaded / replaced and worry about losing it again, hence my trying to benefit from the renowned and unbiased integrity of our computer forum and not taking chances anywhere unless i have to.

P.S.

The fan / fans are running ok, thanks

Edited by marshbags