International Driving Licence

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2004-12-29 16:12:54)

Singapore one should do for renting a car. If just driving a friends, 500 baht is as good as any license.

What do you mean by "500 baht"? I am driving my girl-friend's car. Does that mean that i do not have to apply for one?

What I mean is that I drove for many years without a license. I had a UK one which I showed a few of times, to which their response was 500 baht. Sometimes they let me go. I have been stopped without my UK one and guess what? 500 Baht.

I was recently stopped(with a Thai license) for turning right at a place where the guy said I shouldn't have - guess what - 500 Baht.

They are bent as <deleted>, doesn't matter if you have all the legal documents, you may still find yourself giving 500 Baht. If you can barter, which I can, you can get the tea money down to 100 or 200.

Usually a current foreign licence is enough, legally....but as was mentioned, you may come across a corrupt policeman who will "fine" you even if you have done nothing wrong.....the same thing happens with international licences....and with Thai licences.....they are not "fining" you for the licence or other offences...they are "fining" you because you are not Thai and therefore if anything should happen it is your fault for being there.

If international licences were required for insurance, ninety percent of M/Bike rental businesses would go broke.... :D:o

Just a quick one, I am a Singaporean currently holding a Singapore driving licence.

Do i need to apply for an international driving licence in order to drive in Thailand?

:o

No, you do not need one. Singaporean, Malaysian and Laotian driving licenses are accepted in Thailand.

For more info, read: =driving&sword_list[]=license]Driving License

Edited by honeyen