Sedum Plants Wanted For Our "green" Flat Roof

importford

Never seen any here. I am experimenting a green roof too, and have opted for a mix of Agaves, Kalanchoe and Cactii. They spread like misery, and are very heat resisatnt. I guess they can handle the hot months : march to june, even if that means that they won't look too fresh for some time.

Do you actually have soil, or do you use another support for your plants ?

It's a bit off-topic, but I would be interested if you have any info on waterproofing (wich materials do you use, for which cost).

++ ^^

Never seen any here. I am experimenting a green roof too, and have opted for a mix of Agaves, Kalanchoe and Cactii. They spread like misery, and are very heat resisatnt. I guess they can handle the hot months : march to june, even if that means that they won't look too fresh for some time.

It's a bit off-topic, but I would be interested if you have any info on waterproofing (wich materials do you use, for which cost).

++ ^^

The flat roof is 120 square meter.

It is 12 cm thick concrete: 5 cm thick cement slabs, on top of this 7 cm reinforced concrete.

This is necessary because of the weight if the soil and the plant mats...

on top of this plastic sheet to prevent the roots from damaging the concrete.

On top of this plastic nets that hold the soil together and prevent the soil from erosion.

In this soil will come the vegetation plants.

I was hoping to get sedum plants because they grow very quick and have no problem with the heat

On this link you will find more details:

link for details of green roofs

or more on you tube (green roofs)

What is the easiest way to order sedum seeds and get them send to here by mail??

anybody experience with chinese or Hong Kong companies to order seeds by mail to here??

• 2 years later...

Before I continue this thread I would like to make it clear that I have a vested interest in discussions of green roofs in Thailand. If you would care to visit my wife's website it details a little of our decision to invest time and effort into trying to bring the green roof concept to Bangkok. We supply (and install if you wish) a pumice-based solution that is 'green' in almost every aspect of the word, from production to purpose to maintenance (even colour!) We are not interested in making a living from this yet and certainly not from individuals interested in installing a green roof so our service is provided at 'cost' if anyone is interested.

If you are installing your green roof onto a flat(ish) concrete roof then soil is not really suitable. Not only is it an extremely heavy addition to the load on your roof but it will compact over time, reducing the airspace available to the plant roots and lots of it will end up in your drains. Using pumice or perlite (porous rocks that absorb water) will ensure that the extra load on your roof is significantly less and the soil doesn't become compacted.

One major reason for installing a green roof is to protect the waterproof roof underneath. Any proper concrete roof should either have a separate waterproof layer on top or have an additional waterproof concrete layer as part of the roof. Any green roof will protect the original roof and extend the lifespan significantly by protecting it from UV rays which do the majority of the damage. Estimates are that a green roof of 10cm will triple the life expectancy of the original roof.

The OP was however right in thinking that he will need some kind of erosion protection on top and root barrier below however as Thailand's torrential rain would wash away anything that wasn't contained on the roof. The plants mentioned are the right choices and you may also like to consider thua lisong tao - pinto peanut, Rhoeo spathacea, Waan Garb Hoy krang ว่านกาบหอยแครง, Garb Hoy Krang Krair กาบหอยแครงแคระ or Waan Hoy Krang ว่านหอยแครง, Sansevieria trifasciata, Tulbaghia violacea, asparagus fern , Plub puang thong พลับพลึงทอง (Crinum asiaticum, Poison Bulb) which we have trialled with success without additional water considerations.

As for mail order seeds, we have only tried to order from the UK and gave up after our 5000-odd seeds failed to germinate a single plant. If anyone has luck getting viable seeds from HK or elsewhere, please let us know.

++ ^^

The flat roof is 120 square meter.

It is 12 cm thick concrete: 5 cm thick cement slabs, on top of this 7 cm reinforced concrete.

This is necessary because of the weight if the soil and the plant mats...

on top of this plastic sheet to prevent the roots from damaging the concrete.

On top of this plastic nets that hold the soil together and prevent the soil from erosion.

In this soil will come the vegetation plants.

I was hoping to get sedum plants because they grow very quick and have no problem with the heat

On this link you will find more details:

link for details of green roofs

or more on you tube (green roofs)

What is the easiest way to order sedum seeds and get them send to here by mail??

anybody experience with chinese or Hong Kong companies to order seeds by mail to here??