Where Do You Swim?

Maccheroncini

I swim laps at the condo pool 3 or 4 times weekly. It's not heated, so it's pretty brisk this time of year. I've learned to wait until late afternoon when the pool has been in direct sunlight for about half the day. Even then, the first 5 or 6 laps are pretty miserable. I stuck with it the first time only because I'd just spend 3000 baht for a new swimsuit and goggles and by gawd, I was going to get my money's worth.

Hubby doesn't swim but sits by the pool to "lifeguard", although I don't know what he'd do if I had a problem. There isn't one item of lifesaving equipment at the pool, except the occasional garden hose or broom. He says it's worth it just to hear me whine and snivel as I climb into the water.

try Centre of the Universe ( find it on Google) I have never tried it. Alternatively if you are in the Maerim area join social membership at my resort Away Suansawan and have use of 2 pools, fitness and sauna year round!

Why would the OP go to London to swim?

Anyhow, there have been a few discussions on this topic in the past, do a search of the forum and see what pops up. I find the pool at Chiang Mai Land does the job, Chiang Mai Orchid hotel on HKR has some fans as they have a big pool and I seem to remember a couple of Moo Baans being mentioned in previous threads, like I said do a quick search of the forum.

As far as heated pools go, I don't think there's much demand for them in these parts and I don't recall ever seeing one.

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

I believe there is a need for some pool heating here. Problem here is the incorrect assumption that is expensive. Until the people here learn that for a couple hundred dollars and a little effort they could build a passive or active solar water heater out of an old refrigerator and heat the water many years for a monthly bill of 0.00 Baht hackedgadgets dot com then look for refrigerator water heater

Edited by bunta71

I believe there is a need for some pool heating here. Problem here is the incorrect assumption that is expensive. Until the people here learn that for a couple hundred dollars and a little effort they could build a passive or active solar water heater out of an old refrigerator and heat the water many years for a monthly bill of 0.00 Baht

My concern with solar heating a pool would be that it would get too hot.

I'm stuck in the UK with frost on the ground and freezing fog in the air, counting down the hours (361) until I get back home to Chiang Mai . . . so I hope that you'll excuse me if I have a problem with the concept of heated swimming pools being needed in Chiang Mai at the moment! :o

Just remembered that the Empress has quite a nice little pool but I've only ever used it as a guest of a hotel guest, I don't know if non-residents can use it, might be worth a call.

JxP

I believe there is a need for some pool heating here. Problem here is the incorrect assumption that is expensive. Until the people here learn that for a couple hundred dollars and a little effort they could build a passive or active solar water heater out of an old refrigerator and heat the water many years for a monthly bill of 0.00 Baht

My concern with solar heating a pool would be that it would get too hot.

I'm stuck in the UK with frost on the ground and freezing fog in the air, counting down the hours (361) until I get back home to Chiang Mai . . . so I hope that you'll excuse me if I have a problem with the concept of heated swimming pools being needed in Chiang Mai at the moment! :D

JxP

About "exactly several" ways to regulate temperature of water especially when all contained in pipes already. The need for warmer water here in all the "exactly several" pools that I've used here in Chiang Mai could be just me, proudly getting more sensitive to cold. Grew up swimming in a river very aptly named Icicle River. Nowdays I get hypothermic in even a warm bath :D:o:D