Surin Elephant Festival 2009

farangconnection

The main weekend of the Surin Elephant Festival 2009 will be held on of November 20, 21 & 22. For Hotels, and an in depth look at events go to http://www.farangconnection.com or http://www.freebeerforyorky.com

Itinery of events.

Friday 20th............................08.00-10.30 Parade from Railway station, leading to Elephant breakfast at and around the Elephant Roundabout and adjoining streets.

17.00 Transport leaves Railway station to go to Prasat Sikhoraphum, where there will be a demonstration of Thai Dancing & Silk Show, followed by the Light & Sound Show. Transport returns to Surin around 23.00.

Saturday 21st..........08.30- 11.00 Elephant Show at the main Elephant stadium

Sunday 22nd.........................08.30-11.00 Repeat performance.

There will also be a Gala dinner and repeat performance of Friday evenings events at Sikhoraphum Castle, either Saturday or Sunday evening. Cost for this has yet to be finalised, but last year it was 6,000฿ for a table for 8.

These times and events cannot be guaranteed, as we all know what happened last year.

Edited by farangconnection

• 9 months later...

Dear Sir,

may I ask, if the below mentioned forecast for this years Elephant Festival is still valid ?

And may I add the question, if it is wise to go to the event by car (from Prasat) [given the fact that exactly this week will be my very first time of driving right-hand-side on this planet]

Are there any parking areas close to the venue ?

[Well, apologies for my naive question, - I am aware, that Surin is not Stockholm, Liverpool or Paris, but unfortunately I never visited Surin "City" before and thus I am not yet familiar with the topology/infrastructure.]

post 2009-03-17 04:30:54 / From: Surin bus station / Elephant Festival 2009, all change again/ ==> This year Elephant festival will be from November 13th thro November 23rd with the main events happening on Weekend 20,21 & 22
The main weekend of the Surin Elephant Festival 2009 will be held on 20th,21th & 22th of November.

Itinery of events.

Friday 20th............................08.00-10.30 Parade from Railway station, leading to Elephant breakfast at and around the Elephant Roundabout and adjoining streets.

17.00 Transport leaves Railway station to go to Prasat Sikhoraphum, where there will be a demonstration of Thai Dancing & Silk Show, followed by the Light & Sound Show. Transport returns to Surin around 23.00.

Saturday 21th.......................08.30- 11.00 Elephant Show at the main Elephant stadium

Sunday 22th.........................08.30-11.00 Repeat performance.

There will also be a Gala dinner and repeat performance of Friday evenings events at Sikhoraphum Castle, either Saturday or Sunday evening. Cost for this has yet to be finalised, but last year it was 6,000฿ for a table for 8.

These times and events cannot be guaranteed, as we all know what happened last year.

Edited by Rempler

Dear Sir,

may I ask, if the below mentioned forecast for this years Elephant Festival is still valid ?

And may I add the question, if it is wise to go to the event by car (from Prasat) [given the fact that exactly this week will be my very first time of driving right-hand-side on this planet]

[Well, apologies for my naive question, - I am aware, that Surin is not Stockholm, Liverpool or Paris, but unfortunately I never visited Surin "City" before and thus I am not yet familiar with the topology/infrastructure.]

Hi Rempler

I am not aware of any time changes to the ones published and whilst it will be very busy, everyone with a bit of land near to the stadium will be waving you into there plot to park your car for a few baht.

You may consider it sensible to park a little further away and walk?

We are not allowed to post links here, but you might consider googling Surinmap.com and that may help. Its one road nearly all the way from Presat and as you enter town, you need to turn right towards the Elephant Staduim.

Dave

Say Mr. Rempler my heart goes out to you for having to drive on the wrong side of the road I know your feelings but after numerous bumps, crashes and fender benders you will get the bang I mean hang of it I did. :) By the way I'll be in Kap Choeng and coming to Surin for the festival on the 214 No problem at all will almost remember where you are "TIT". Have a great time. :D

It would be nice to get some clarity of the dates. It is a long way to Surin from Bangkok, only to arrive a week early. Also I would guess it is the same as on Television each year (I forget the Television Station) so maybe better to watch it on television and not bother with the travel.

:) Yea conflicting dates will really help hotels and beer sells

Timings did change long while back but if you follow the FarangConnection link in post #1 you will see that these are the correct dates. Martin of the FC is a member of the Surin Tourist Board, so he should know.

Saturday 21th.......................08.30- 11.00 Elephant Show at the main Elephant stadium

Dave

So we have conflicting dates. Whats up???????? :)

I ammended the dates a week after our meeting, when the dates were changed. If you look at the op's post the correct dates are there. I have now ammended the dates on my original post. There is a post on pinned topics that says" Surin Elephant Festival.......all change" Which has been there since 17th March. I aplogise to anyone that was misled, but the original post disappeared so quickly I forgot to change that as well.

Edited by farangconnection

:) Yea conflicting dates will really help hotels and beer sells

Timings did change long while back but if you follow the FarangConnection link in post #1 you will see that these are the correct dates. Martin of the FC is a member of the Surin Tourist Board, so he should know.

Dave

That is correct Dave, but unfortunately since my outbreak of Cancer I have been in Hospital for every meeting. I even had to miss our fact finding tour on the new road from Chong Sa Ngam to Ankhar Wat.I did send along a representative, but she is so stoopid, she is the only Thai girl I know to have been 'ripped off' by a Farang. Anyway again I apologise for any misleadings, but if anyone looked in the right place the info was there.

That is correct Dave, but unfortunately since my outbreak of Cancer I have been in Hospital for every meeting. I even had to miss our fact finding tour on the new road from Chong Sa Ngam to Ankhar Wat.I did send along a representative, but she is so stoopid, she is the only Thai girl I know to have been 'ripped off' by a Farang. Anyway again I apologise for any misleadings, but if anyone looked in the right place the info was there.

Any more free Beano's and I will be your rep :):D:D

Dave

Dear Sir,

Hi Rempler

I am not aware of any time changes to the ones published and whilst it will be very busy, everyone with a bit of land near to the stadium will be waving you into there plot to park your car for a few baht.

We are not allowed to post links here, but you might consider googling Surinmap.com and that may help. Its one road nearly all the way from Presat and as you enter town, you need to turn right towards the Elephant Staduim.

Dave

Dear Dave,

thanks a lot for another very nice and helpful answer.

It is highly appreciated.

I wouldn't mind to walk, but we have our 19 months old daughter with us, and since she arrived in Thailand 4 weeks ago, she doesn't like to sit in her buggy any more.

So daddy will have to play the mule for a mile or 2 :D

But, to be honest, after having read

1. the comment of Mr. gotlost regarding the traffic and :D

2. the regulation rules of the Hertz insurance contract

.... now I am not sure any more, whether it is very smart to drive myself. Maybe I better lease driver for the rented car :D at least until I can take any Co-pilot from our family on board.

I never was afraid of driving in Manhattan or in Rome, but Thailand .... well ... after 25 rides from BKK to Prasat on the co-seat I do not feel like a daredevil any more ... :)

Edited by Rempler

Dear Sir,

Hi Rempler

Dave

Dear Dave,

I wouldn't mind to walk, but we have our 19 months old daughter with us, and since she arrived in Thailand 4 weeks ago, she doesn't like to sit in her buggy any more.

.... now I am not sure any more, whether it is very smart to drive myself. Maybe I better lease driver for the rented car :D at least until I can take any Co-pilot from our family on board.

I never was afraid of driving in Manhattan or in Rome, but Thailand .... well ... after 25 rides from BKK to Prasat on the co-seat I do not feel like a daredevil any more ... :)

If you thought it is bad hear you should drive in Saudi Arabia. It's the demolition derby there. :D

Dear Dave,

I never was afraid of driving in Manhattan or in Rome, but Thailand .... well ... after 25 rides from BKK to Prasat on the co-seat I do not feel like a daredevil any more ... :D

Why don't you pass the 'problem' onto your local Thai's.

Get them to pre-arrange a Taxi/Lift and arrange a pick-up time for the trip Home. It will cost you silly money and I'd bet someone will be happy to earn a few Baht, try it!

(I'm outa town that weekend, before you ask! :))

Edited by Dave the Dude

Dear Dave,

I never was afraid of driving in Manhattan or in Rome, but Thailand .... well ... after 25 rides from BKK to Prasat on the co-seat I do not feel like a daredevil any more ... :D

Why don't you pass the 'problem' onto your local Thai's.

Get them to pre-arrange a Taxi/Lift and arrange a pick-up time for the trip Home. It will cost you silly money and I'd bet someone will be happy to earn a few Baht, try it!

(I'm outa town that weekend, before you ask! :))

That's what I had done on all recent trips until .... one of my brothers-in-law lost his market position in a surburbian area of BKK, after I had asked him to stay (with his car) in Surin for a few more days.

That Surin-part of my family only has an old motobike, thus with the help of my b-i-l we were able to make some excursions.

Besides, this time my need of a car available in Amphur Surin is even stronger, as I do have to take my wife to the hospital in Surin twice :D (you might recall my PM, onto which you gave me very helpful hints).

Well, I guess I have to get used to the traffic in LOS anyway, as we are planning to move to Thailand in about three years.

So now I've bought a Western navigation system (Garmin) , for which street maps of Thailand are available. I hope that might lead me from Bkk to Prasat without any accident.

[Rempler said, while his knees became weak and his hands were trembling .... :D ]

Going to the Surin Elephant Festival :D

478549342_b254940683.jpg

I mailed your pic to the German Automobile Club, in order to aks, whether they might be able to supply such a vehicle and a driver via any rental firm or company in Thailnd ......... for a "special occasion".

Well, of course it was just meant to make these guys smile, but 10 minutes ago I received a phonecall from them, asking, where exactly in Thailand, I would need it ..... they took it pretty serious and contacted their Asian partner organisation.

After I heard that, I had to apologise :):D , ......... but now I see ... it seems to be feasible to rent even that stuff, - not from Hertz, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Sir,

Hi Rempler

Dave

Dear Dave,

will be in Surin too and have a rent-car with me PLUS a certain experience on Thai roads. I am planning to visit Prasat Phanom Rung too, and looking for ppl. to join me on a daytrip - departing from Surin - anyway.

Plan to go to Phanom Rung on Saturday after the performances in the elephant stadium, means, around noon.....

if interested to join, let me know.....

[quote name='siam2007' '

will be in Surin too and have a rent-car with me PLUS a certain experience on Thai roads. I am planning to visit Prasat Phanom Rung too, and looking for ppl. to join me on a daytrip - departing from Surin - anyway.

Plan to go to Phanom Rung on Saturday after the performances in the elephant stadium, means, around noon.....

if interested to join, let me know.....

Hope you have your tickets and Hotel. Nearly everything gone, same as last year. There is plenty of options for Sunday though. I have stopped taking bookings as my quota has run out.

Hope you have your tickets and Hotel. Nearly everything gone, same as last year. There is plenty of options for Sunday though. I have stopped taking bookings as my quota has run out.

Yes I have my bookings and tickets (got it confirmed, so at least I hope so ^^).

I booked through a guy called MARTIN from a well-known business there, called "FARANG CONNECTION" :)

Yes I have my bookings and tickets (got it confirmed, so at least I hope so ^^).

I booked through a guy called MARTIN from a well-known business there, called "FARANG CONNECTION" :)

Good on yer Blue