Whenever I Come Back To Bangkok...

dave9988

I just have to laugh when comparing thailand vs singapore, hong kong, tokyo.

1. Look at a country's history of how it got where it is today

2. % of corruption in thailand vs singapore, hong kong, tokyo

3. Thailand is still a developing country last time I check singapore, hong kong, tokyo where developed nations

4. Say what you like about bangkok but since i live in samui. I rather enjoy going to bangkok every now and then

5. Be thankful bangkok at least has a sky train, ( its in a limited area I know but at least I have an option )

6. Most of things here are based on a cultural mentality, change happens here but its slow I know

7. So many good places I eat are where along the road in a forum of a stall ( something similiar )

8. Most of all every country has up and downs, pros and cons.

9. JUST remember one major thing, Things could be much worser than they are now, example zimbabwe, Iraq, Burma

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2. % of corruption in thailand vs singapore, hong kong, tokyo

3. Thailand is still a developing country last time I check singapore, hong kong, tokyo where developed nations

4. Say what you like about bangkok but since i live in samui. I rather enjoy going to bangkok every now and then

5. Be thankful bangkok at least has a sky train, ( its in a limited area I know but at least I have an option )

6. Most of things here are based on a cultural mentality, change happens here but its slow I know

7. So many good places I eat are where along the road in a forum of a stall ( something similiar )

9. JUST remember one major thing, Things could be much worser than they are now, example zimbabwe, Iraq, Burma

Good points all. Especially #9.

It really is a matter of perspective and your life experiences.

I would suggest spending a week in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai...I never thought that Bangkok was quiet until I worked in Mumbai for a year.

Then, when you are thinking, "Bangkok is not so bad...Mumbai really sucks", go spend some time in Lagos, Nigeria. After that, Mumbai does not seem so bad.

Hope you had a good laugh as I did when reading your "analytical" post.

Let's read it again. Taking an example of buying a Russian made car (Lada) or living in Moscow:

2. % of corruption in Russia vs singapore, hong kong, tokyo

3. Russia is still a developing country last time I check singapore, hong kong, tokyo where developed nations

4. Say what you like about Moscow but since i live in samui. I rather enjoy going to Moscow every now and then

5. Be thankful Moscow at least has a sky train, ( its in a limited area I know but at least I have an option )

No. 5: Moscow has it's metro since 1935. A full blown city rail system, not a mickey mouse as BKK's Sky Train.

And, things that happen and originate in Moscow, command the world'd alert. Quite an important place.

But, who is moving to live there?

Edited by think_too_mut

i am happy in bangkok for the most part, its just when you go to these other places that all its terrible flaws are pointed out. i can just imagine some expats taking their kids to hong kong and the kids asking "Daddy, why are there no homeless people?" or "Do you think we can have sidewalks one day in Thailand?"

Pavements/sidewalks are improved everywhere in BKK as we speak.

There is also huge effort being made to install plants and flowers almost everywhere..

For example on Rama 3, do not take the flyover and you see what I mean.

i am happy in bangkok for the most part, its just when you go to these other places that all its terrible flaws are pointed out. i can just imagine some expats taking their kids to hong kong and the kids asking "Daddy, why are there no homeless people?" or "Do you think we can have sidewalks one day in Thailand?"

Pavements/sidewalks are improved everywhere in BKK as we speak.

There is also huge effort being made to install plants and flowers almost everywhere..

For example on Rama 3, do not take the flyover and you see what I mean.

Yeah, they put all these nice little plants up near by our place about 6-7 months, funnily enough they have been left to die. As for the pavements, they are digging up for the third time in two years, and everytime they put it back, it gets worse and worse.

I still like Bangkok though.

I guess one thing that frustrates me is that as a westerner living in Bangkok the ease in which Bangkok can be beautified(improved) is so minimal.

From a western and Thai point of view (I would think) foot paths or sidewalks need minimal repair at times though unfortunately due to the lack of resources ( or care or priority not sure which one) slowly disintegrate into a major job that never get fixed.

Further more would love to figure out (though I dont speak a lot of Thai) how to get these things done properly the first time instead of having to revisit them 12 months later to do the same thing.

Dont want to fix the country just the footpaths

Cheers

Kev

I doubt the people living in those 'wooden houses' would consider Bangkok 'so exciting'.

Thailand is a monied up developing nation that's going backwards compared to neighbours like Malaysia and Vietnam. Its capital city could be so much better, easy changes; good management, planning, investment. Sewage, smog, crippling pavements (if any), building regulations, policing, transportation, etc, really need addressing.

Bangkok is entertaining, relatively safe, interesting and perhaps event vibrant. It's a far better place than your Manilla's and Phnom Phen's of the world. But, it's still a sh*thole, that's getting worse day by day. I can stand it, just, but I'd never raise a family in Bangkok, yuk, too many bloody Hengs around touting their tuk tuk with shouts of 'wan na girr'... :o

Good observations Dave. Enjoy the good sides, which are here, and get out before you start a family - Fukuoka with a sweet Japanese girl, go get her before your looks fade... goodluck.

I think those post sum up the main things why BKK is actually a dump.

You don't have to be a genious to know that if you do something right the first time, it won't need fixing for a long time. You don't have to be a genious to know that putting garbage in a bin is easier and quicker to clean, you don't have to be a genious to know that driving on the correct side of the road, will improve and speed up traffic,....

Im really having a hard time seeing the point of this thread.

I think you have all established that there are good things, and bad things about Bangkok. As there are just about everywhere else in the world. The degree of whats good or bad, and how much one person is willing to compromise on some aspects to gain another aspect, is all relative and varies between people.

everyone makes a choice as to where they want to be. each of you can make yours.

based on above, I think the thread has run its course :o but ...in case someone wants to convince me theres any other point to the thread... PM me and we will see if it needs re-opening