In What Moo Baan Do You Live?

bach

I'm thinking about moving to Chiang Mai with my family. We like to buy a house for max 4.000.000 baht in a moo baan close (max. 15 min. drive) to the city and close to an international school. Because there are so many moo baans to choose from i'm hunting for some inside information. What are your experiences with schools and (if you live in one) your moo baan?

Thanks.

It's complicated. You have to come here and find out for yourself. There are quite a few different international and bilingual schools of varying orientation and quality. They are in different corners of the city. Recommendations about Moo Baans are also difficult because there are so many of them and it depends very much on what style of house you like and where you want to be.

I came with my family to Chiang Mai three years ago after having lived in Bangkok for 12 years. Back then my wife bought some land in San Pathong. As it turned out later, this particular plot was overpriced. So, I recommend to get to know the town and study the real estate market for a while before buying. Two years ago we bought another plot closer to town and we got a bargain price. We are currently building a house on it and we are also looking to buy a third plot in Chiang Mai.

The Moo Baans vary quite a bit. Generally, the newer ones offer more sophisticated architecture, but most of them are mass-produced and not always designed with Western tastes in mind. Often you can find cheaper houses in older Moo Baans, but you would have to spend money on remodelling. I found that building your own house is probably the best value for money in Chiang Mai, because you can fully customise your house and you still pay less than for a new Moo Baan-built house.

Cheers, CMX

Chiang Mai Lakeland is close to Lanna International school (around the back of the airport), but has few houses for sale. World Club has houses in that range, and it contains the missionary school, Grace International.

But unless you are a missionary or hold the same very strong religious views that Grace espouses it's not likely to be a natural choice as an International School.

Thanks for the reply's.

I will certainly come over to Chiang Mai and check what is available and indeed Grace is not my cup of tea.

ChiangMaiexpat succes with building your house I think I've seen some pictures of it.

Due to the wide variety of international schools, you might benefit by choosing the school first then finding a house not too far away. Some folks do send their kids from home south of town to a school north of town but that can be as much as 2 hours per day in a school van or up to 4 hours per day of parent driving two round trips.