" Mad" Tourists Arrive In Phuket

george

"Mad" tourists arrive in Phuket

PHUKET: -- A trickle of determined tourists have jetted into the devastated Thai resort island of Phuket, arriving in almost-empty planes to the bewilderment of hundreds of survivors fleeing the tsunami disaster area.

"Our friends think we're mad," said Englishman Paul Cunliffe, an engineer from Manchester, as he sipped what looked like a gin and tonic on a short, lonely flight from the Malaysian capital on Wednesday.

"The only risk we face I think is if there's another quake...," he said, adding that he and his two companions were booked into a beach-front hotel that escaped serious harm. Hotel staff had assured them they would have a "wonderful holiday".

"We love the place that much and we thought we would take the risk," he said.

Hundreds of stressed, exhausted and bereaved holiday-makers are still streaming out of Phuket, three days after the most powerful quake in 40 years rent the seabed and unleashed waves that have killed nearly 80,000 people around the Indian Ocean rim.

Along Thailand's battered southern beaches, more than 1,600 people have been killed and corpses are rotting where tourists once sunned themselves. In Khao Lak, north of Phuket, almost every big hotel has been badly damaged.

But still the tourists trickle in.

"The Russians don't cancel," Phuket taxi driver Apichart observed dryly, recalling how he had ferried four of them to their beachside hotels on Wednesday. "They have so many problems where they come from, they don't care about tsunamis."

In the smoker's section of the departure lounge of Phuket's small airport, ashtrays overflowed with hundreds of cigarette butts as stressed-out tourists, each with a harrowing story to tell, waited in a cloud of smoke for their flight to board.

In the arrivals section, trolleys were piled high with orange stretchers, Red Cross parcels from Finland, bundles of blankets and rolls of white linen.

But it was business as usual in one surreal corner of the tourism industry: just before landing at Phuket, the pilot of Cunliffe's Thai Airways flight told his less than 30 passengers, "In Phuket, the weather is cloudy but otherwise fine."

--Reuters 2004-12-30

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I suppose life goes on. The last thing locals will want now is for tourists to stay away.

You're right of course.

I just hope they will also consider doing what they can to help out, and have the decency to not table dance in front of the bereaved.

See yourself how it looks like in Phuket on 28/29 Dec.04

www.phuket-inside.com

Well I suppose life goes on. The last thing locals will want now is for tourists to stay away.

how about Kata Noi beach

look at the link of KataThani, what they archieved within the last two days

http://www.katathani.com/Thani/photo-gallery.html

how about Kata beach

http://www.mangosteen-phuket.com/Mangostee...t_aftermath.htm

I understand, that people want to go home, when they lost some relatives or have broken bones, my friend arrived with his family on 26 in the night and is now staying at KataThani.

how about Kata Noi beach

how about Kata beach

I understand, that people want to go home, when they lost some relatives or have broken bones, my friend arrived with his family on 26 in the night and is now staying at KataThani.

Here some Photos taken at Patong Beach on 28/29.12.04

There are still many areas distroyed but some places look like life goes on

www.phuket-inside.com

i dont know

if i had survived that I would definitely be making sure I lived my life to the max

how about Kata Noi beach

how about Kata beach

Here some Photos taken at Patong Beach on 28/29.12.04

There are still many areas distroyed but some places look like life goes on

www.phuket-inside.com

Many years ago some blacks came out of the woods in Bermuda and killed about 8 tourists. Government hunted them down and executed them as quick as lightning.

But everyone thought there was some black rebellion going on. So hotels were empty. 12 friends and I booked Presidential suites 3 or them for $50 a night these were four bedroom suites and there was more staff than guests.

As I said in a different thread.

Pack chlorine bleach crystals and if you can find all the medicine you can bring and buy everything else there. Get a portable water filter and some tablets, but go spend some money in the hard hit areas, they will need all the cash you can leave and I guarantee, you will get amazing service.

Things will calm down quicker than you imagine. and really they need your money and they need your moral support.

Red Cross is nice, but seeing people come and spend money will help them emotionally

Soi Bangla bars as far east as sea dragon were gutted, anything on the beach road was gutted. Still no electric on the beach road because of downed poles. There are some bars that have been open since day one and they seem to be doing business.

New years eve celebrations cancelled.

Still findng bodies and am sure it will hit 3,000 plus.

Great idea to spend money BUT better idea to find a shop owner and give it direct to him. WHY give money to a bar owner or shop that is oipen and has added 30% or more to his prices ( which they have done here in kamala). Just walk along the beach roads and you'll find people that need your help.

If you want compainship, plenty of ladies without jobs now.

Are the sois off Soi Bangla and other clubs, bars etc. still operating?  It's beyond belief that anyone would want to seek 'entertainment' and female company in this area so soon after this catastrophe.

I LIVE here and work here, had to dive 3 m down and 5 up to get out of my ground floor and then looked outside from Bedroom. My main worry at that time was where the girl was who just left to buy breakfast food. NOT for myself as any other action taken would likely have meant I would be dead.

This quake was a fluke, oh shit we only had 40 more last few days.

What most people donot understand or can imagine is that Thailands biggest quake before was a 7. A 9 means 10000 times the power. Every unit increase is 100 times the power of previous level so essentially a 1-4 you may not even feel...

Many girls now without a job and they need MONEY.

Whilst as we know, the impact on many hotels has been devestating, many many Phuket hotels are going to extraordinary lengths to try and get the message across internationally that they have either not been affected at all or have been only minimally affected - e.g. 1 pool out of operation and / or limited food & beverage facilities. Many of these will be 100% back on line in a matter of days too.

The media would have us believe that there isn't a hotel left standing, which is not the correct message. This link http://www.sawadee.com/tsunami/hotels.htm gives a better idea of what is & what isn't operational.

As tragic and sad as this whole situation is, if tourists stay away for any meaningful length of time, it will only further exacerbate the economic situation in Phuket, put thousands of local jobs at risk and further add to the human suffering.

Surely therefore, tourists wanting to either remain in Phuket for the balance of their holiday or indeed new tourist arrivals, will only help the recovery?

Going to see where someone has died put you in the ghoul category???

I went yesterday again to see my shop, whats left of it.

Road flooded with trafic and If I was in charge, stckers showing where car comes from, road was flooded with damned tuk tuks...

Secondly there is disease around so driving unless necessary into those places isnt good.

Many dead still there, and like in my case my shop STINKS.

All those statistics of dead are crap. I would estimate at present Patong 4000, Kamala 2000, Bangtao 2000 (could be less)

Donot forget first wave was small ,second one was the killer.

I have seen these 3 beaches as my shop is/was in Kamala and I live in Bangtao.

Visited Patong yesterday and had confirmed that many died in basements and even more Thais died stealing from deserted shops.

deservedly the ghouls.../grave robbers.

Now watch the big ones come in from BKK, buy land cheap from local Phuket people. No doubt all government related..

Main good thing is that government screwed up so extreemly unlikely mr T will be next PM. (oops)

I could see myself going there and finding some volunteer work to do helping out with the recovery effort. On the other hand I'd feel like a total arse trying to have a good time with the smell of death, and the mourning faces all around.

cv

Too much doom and gloom. Why don't they pass on the good news. Patong is getting cleaned up. The bars on Bangla are starting to open on Dec 29. The water is still fresh. The tourist, those who are not stupid and didn't run, are starting to go to the beach. Sure there was a disaster and sure there are dead. But life moves on. With all this sick reporting, which in a lot of cases isn't accurate, only helps the bad and corrupt to operate. The criminals now go around announcing another wave is comin and when the thais run and leave their homes, the criminals go in and rob the homes. The other day while one guy stood beside his car, someone was about to hook a chain to it and attempt to take it away. When the owner asked what he was doing he replied he was taking his car to the garage. When the owner said it was his car and he was the owner the guy took off fast.

I live in Patong and things are coming together once again. The farang news casters, both Brits on BBC and Americans on CNN and Fox in a lot of cases can't even pronounce the name of the island. Often they call it "Fooket" instead of "Pooket". How can you trust reports who can't even take the time to find the correct pronounciation.

Don't get me wrong. This is bad. Khao Lak the worse, Patong next, Kamala, Karon, Kata. But things are getting better. I only hope for the sake of those who died, that Phuket takes this opportunities to clean up the infrastructure, get rid of the tons of wasted copper wire on the poles, which are not down and have to be replaced. Take the time and do it right this time while they have the chance and for heavens sake make sure the money that comes in for aid doesn't go to 'aid' the payment of a new Benz for some corrupt government official. :o

I also live in kamala dn tracer's figures are way off!!!

The area will rebound, Some small shops are already back in operation

Laguna, Surin, Chalong and 95% of karon beach were not affected at all.

True there are dead and they just pulled a few out of the basement of Ocean but I would say less than figured but one more than acceptable.

It is a sad day for all and thius new years can only get better.

Thanks for this link. As suspected, my beloved Phi Phi Charlies has been wiped out. Not sure if the manager (Andy) and his staff are dead or alive. As I only ever see them when I go there coupled with the stories about not allowing illegal buildings to return on park lands, it looks like I'll never know. A small tragedy within the bigger picture....

Whilst as we know, the impact on many hotels has been devestating, many many Phuket hotels are going to extraordinary lengths to try and get the message across internationally that they have either not been affected at all or have been only minimally affected - e.g. 1 pool out of operation and / or limited food & beverage facilities. Many of these will be 100% back on line in a matter of days too.

The media would have us believe that there isn't a hotel left standing, which is not the correct message. This link http://www.sawadee.com/tsunami/hotels.htm gives a better idea of what is & what isn't operational.

As tragic and sad as this whole situation is, if tourists stay away for any meaningful length of time, it will only further exacerbate the economic situation in Phuket, put thousands of local jobs at risk and further add to the human suffering.

Surely therefore, tourists wanting to either remain in Phuket for the balance of their holiday or indeed new tourist arrivals, will only help the recovery?

sure the hotel says its OK and working - TIT

however most medical people are saying that after such disasters sickness usually follows

so i hope these "mad" tourists realise this

:o

read the fine print on your travel insuarance

whatever - its good to see the human spirit working towards a common goal

Heh why so negative life goes on I am working every day and night in helping others to survive and when a call came in yesterday that they needed Italian and French speakers in the hospitals in Phuket I called every one I knew who spoke these languages. I couldn't find enough people so I went out in my truck and asked people directly on the streets do you speak Italian or French.

I was driving down the street In Patong and saw this stunning lady walking down the road who was built like a goddess as I was driving by I thought god maybe she speaks French or Italian I screeched my truck to a stop and rolled down the window and said pardon me Miss do you speak French or Italian she said she walked over to my truck and said she spoke Italian.

I told her that we needed Italian seakers at the hospitals and she volunteered to go and help. Then she gave me the biggest sweetest smile and said your a sweet caring guy. God that made my day :o

As I was driving along the road another girl who was built like a Brick ShiTTe House walked across the road in a string Bikini I smiled at her and she smiled back,so boys get it together life goes on.

The Shark Club and Tai Pan were full of people dancing the other night and why not Harrah.

Last night I went to the Wat for the funeral of Leone one of the kindest giving people Phuket has ever know; she was killed when her house was swept away.

Today is another day I must go and help others who were less fortunate but I will enjoy the day.

Cheers to you all.

sure the hotel says its OK and working - TIT

however most medical people are saying that after such disasters sickness usually follows

so i hope these "mad" tourists realise this

:o

read the fine print on your travel insuarance

What water are the local Thais drinking? That is what will determine diseases in the short term. The British embassy advice on going to Phuket is to check that your accommodation is still available, and don't depend on emergency services being available.

Still so much to learn, specially to tolerate stupidity...

"Life Goes On"
Thanks for saying that at the moment farang62, please send your message to the survivors and victims of the tragedy. This is not about you or about other lucky to enjoy life today, but about peopel in dispair....have you seen the news?. Not sure whether you are ignorant or stupid, ot both.
"if i had survived that I would definitely be making sure I lived my life to the max"
snoophound if you would have survived but all your family have gone, not sure whether you would want that...life have many hard things to teach, in the meantime at least hide your ignorance...
Many girls now without a job and they need MONEY
tracer0 I assume you are not suggesting that they need your money in change for "something" else. They need HELP, and money is part of it. What farangs can do is also to show more respect. Can farangs think about how effectivelly help at the moment and in the future.... this time without expecting compensation for it?

This is a real tragedy for many, and if we do not contribute with material or other type of support, at least think that this moment is about them, those who are suffering and begin to suffer, and not about us.

Soi Bangla bars as far east as sea dragon were gutted, anything on the beach road was gutted.  Still no electric on the beach road because of downed poles.  There are some bars that have been open since day one and they seem to be doing business.

New years eve celebrations cancelled. 

Still findng bodies and am sure it will hit 3,000 plus.

Great idea to spend money BUT better idea to find a shop owner and give it direct to him.  WHY give money to a bar owner or shop that is oipen and has added 30% or more to his prices  ( which they have done here in kamala).  Just walk along the beach roads and you'll find people that need your help.

If you want compainship, plenty of ladies without jobs now.

Yeah, get your money and help in there- whether it is by donating to an aid organisation, going there and buying stuff or employing people.

It's all good for the area.

Too much doom and gloom.... (edit)  The tourist, those who are not stupid and didn't run,  are starting to go to the beach. 

I think we're just going to have to accept a little doom and gloom for a while - there has just been a major natural disaster here...

Whilst I have no plans to 'run' It's not really for us to knock the actions of tourists, many of whom have lost loved ones and been generally <deleted>***ng terrified, in wanting to return home...

Fair point about the reporting though, there is no word on the fact that some areas are returning to normal life. My family still can't understand why I have somewhere to live, electricity in that place and access to water (the shops are open...) and haven't succumbed to cholera yet :o

I could see myself going there and finding some volunteer work to do helping out with the recovery effort. On the other hand I'd feel like a total arse trying to have a good time with the smell of death, and the mourning faces all around.

cv

I'm with you on this one. For partying, a few months from now, or maybe even one month. It's just not feasible for people to get over it so quickly.

The tourist, those who are not stupid and didn't run,  are starting to go to the beach

Uncle Dave , a bit harsh labelling the tourists who left this Disaster as stupid.

I love Phuket , but if I was there with my family , especially my kids , I would not want to remain in a place that had seen the worst natural disaster in Thailand's history. I understand your viewpoint , as a resident, will differ. But in this case you are being insensitive and moronic. Offense intended. :o

Edited by chonabot