Malaysian Arrested In Thailand For 5 Billion Baht Credit Card Fraud In America

sriracha john

1231948625.jpg

Malaysian gang member arrested for US credit card fraud

BANGKOK, Jan 14 (TNA) - A Malaysian wanted by the United States authorities for credit card fraud was apprehended in Thailand on Wednesday, after cooperation between the US authorities and the Thai police, according to the National Police Bureau's Crime Suppression Division (CSD).

Pol. Col. Supisan Pakdeenaruanaj, CSD Deputy Commander, said 40-year old Malaysian Cooi Kok Seng, charged by US officials with skimming and stealing credit card data from cardholders, was arrested in Nonthaburi province near Bangkok.

He was allegedly a member of a credit card hacking gang in the US, a crime group with at least 10 members which has been committing credit card theft for over three years.

Col. Supisan said Cooi Kok Seng and his gang had stolen credit card information and 16-digit numbers from victims credit cards when they patronised restaurants and major department stores or retail outlets in the US such as Wal-Mart. They then sold the data to Asian gangs to make counterfeited cards which they sold to their customers.

In some cases, the Malaysian suspect himself produced the artificial cards to buy goods, he said. His crime had caused over US$150 million * 5,245,305,633 Baht * in damages.

However, after his apprehension, Cooi Kok Seng denied any wrongdoing.

After committing his crime in the US and American authorities issuing an arrest warrant for him, he fled to Thailand where he was living with his Thai wife in Nonthaburi.

US police agents followed his tracks to Thailand, and asked for cooperation from the Thai police to arrest him.

Under the US arrest warrant, the Malaysian was accused of conspiring with his gang to use devices to illegally skim credit card holders' information, selling such electronic devices, illegally possessing the equipment and accessing the card and personal information without permission.

The prosecutor was scheduled to file charges against him and the criminal court will rule on whether to extradite the defendant to the US at the request of the US government.

Edited by sriracha john

I'm not usually too draconian but I hope this guy does serious time. This type of crime not only turns victims into wage slaves, essentially, but it wreaks havoc on the lives of victims trying to straighten it all out. I go to extra lengths to avoid it myself and am glad these guys are getting their nuts nailed to a stump and pushed over backwards!

Now, if LOS wanted to bring dollars into Thailand they might make it easy and cheap to do so. Right now, many send ATM cards to family back in Thailand to avoid high regular, recurring fees. If you do so folks, be sure to send an ATM only card, not one with a VISA or MC feature attached.

$150 million?

Way to go! :o

Nothing like a bit of white collar crime, hope he has a load stashed away somewhere, helps to sooth your soul when you do your time.

Are you serious? you do realise that this sort of crime actually increases the prices we all have to pay, credit card fraud has to be paid for! and at the end of the day it is the average consumer who foots the bill!

FF

Malaysian nabbed in Bangkok over US $150 million credit card fraud

BANGKOK: A Malaysian man wanted in the United States for credit card fraud amounting to US $150 million (RM 540 million) was arrested by Thai authorities and US Secret Service agents in Nonthaburi on the outskirts of Bangkok on Tuesday.

Local media reported that the 43-year-old man had a warrant of arrest issued for him by a US court for illegal possession of data access device, hacking into computers, and stealing data.

Crime Suppression Division police chief Supisal Pakdinaruenar said the man was a prominent member of a credit card fraud gang operating in the United States for the past three years and was believed to have fled to Thailand to evade arrest.

He was arrested in a house in the Pak Kret district where he was staying with his Thai wife.

The group is believed to be involved in stealing credit card transaction data from people patronising major restaurants and retail outlets like TJX, WalMart, and Office Depot, and selling the information to other groups making counterfeit cards.

According to Supisai, the man had denied all the charges and was currently facing extradition to the United States.

- Bernama (Malaysia) / 2009-01-15

Edited by sriracha john

$150 million?

Nothing like a bit of white collar crime, hope he has a load stashed away somewhere, helps to sooth your soul when you do your time.

Are you serious? you do realise that this sort of crime actually increases the prices we all have to pay, credit card fraud has to be paid for! and at the end of the day it is the average consumer who foots the bill!

FF

Ahhh poor us eh?....we may have to pay 1p a year more then again the banks make enough profit from credit cards for them not to be bothered with investing more in anti fraud measures.

I hope the guys get away with it.

Man held over RM 540 million scam

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian man was apprehended on Wednesday in Thailand after the United States authorities sent a request to the authorities there to nab the suspect for credit card fraud worth about US$150 million (RM 540 million).

The arrest was possible after the US authorities and the Thai police linked up to nab the suspect.

Crime Supression Divison police chief Supisan Pakdeenaruanaj, when contacted, said 40-year old suspect was charged by US officials with scheming and stealing credit card data from cardholders.

He was arrested in Nonthaburi province near Bangkok. It is understood that the suspect has been hiding in Thailand to avoid the charges in the US.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar, when contacted, said he had not received any report from Thailand on the matter.

However, he said the fraud charges against the suspect were in the US and authorities there would have directly contacted the Thai police to nab the suspect.

The suspect is believed to be a member of a credit card hacking gang in the US. It is learnt the syndicate has 10 gang members.

Supisan said the suspect and his gang would steal credit card information and 16-digit numbers from victims' credit cards when they patronised restaurants and major department stores in the US. "They then sold the data to Asian gangs to make counterfeit cards which they sold to their customers."

Supisan said the suspect also produced fake cards to purchase goods for himself.

- The New Straits Times (Malaysia) / 2009-01-15

$150 million?

FF

Ahhh poor us eh?....we may have to pay 1p a year more then again the banks make enough profit from credit cards for them not to be bothered with investing more in anti fraud measures.

Hopefully your card number will be acquired by one of these groups and then you can ahhh poor us. That is if you have a credit card. :D

$150 million?

FF

Hopefully your card number will be acquired by one of these groups and then you can ahhh poor us. That is if you have a credit card. :D

They can take a simple step like putting your picture on the credit card but they don't.

$150 million?

FF

They can take a simple step like putting your picture on the credit card but they don't.

They do, but no one cares, my CC has my picture and my wife has used it here and in the US with out any problems...

The minimum wage staff doesn't get paid enough to care who the card belongs to.

The biggest scam with credit cards it's the rates the banks charge for interest and penalties. They whole system is about to collapse and it will be bigger then the mortgage crisis. I have only ever used business or corporate credit cards and use only a debit Visa for personal use. Credit cards are a scourge on society and the banks are about to get bitten the tune of trillions! I few con men are not making a major impact on what interest people pay. Yes it is factored into the rate and it is a hassle for the individual who has had their card skimmed to get their charges reversed but the real crims are the greedy bankers. Let's hope the US and other countries invest a few dollars chasing all the CEO's and VP's that will be on the run in the next few years!

$150 million?

FF

If I spot a dodgy transaction on my card I inform my bank, they immediately refund the amount to my account, and carry out an analysis to see where the payment originated etc.

Its no biggie and yes I do have a credit card though very rarely have cause to use it.

The banks make a huge profit by encouraging individuals to get into debt and only make a tiny loss through fraud, thus they have very little incentive to prevent fraud.

The banks and credit card companies are scum as far as I am concerned, I have worked and experienced the credit industry from many angles and will never pause to scam them at any opportunity I can.

Quite often I have enjoyed a cocktail while watching the sun go down at the expense of Barclaycard.

Cheers! :D