Xbox 360 Live

Viper

I bought an xbox 360 live 4 months ago - After playing it for 3 months i got the red ring of death! I had it fixed several times until now it cannot be repaired. I have a DEAD box! So ide like to replace it with a new one, but find the price 15'000 baht to be a little bit on the steep side compared to the UK price of 7'000 baht. I gather UK boxes use PAL region and Thai boxes are using NTSC-J. Therefore my question is, will it be possibly to buy the box in England bring it to Thailand and have it modified if need be or just be able to play it in the usual way? Any information will be appreciated

Mod it. It will play all NTSC or PAL games.

Do you know the process to modify it please? Will i have to use the CD Rom drive from my Thai box or something the allow it to play NTSC games?

Viper, the UK 360 may well be 7,000baht due to a weak pound, but have you looked into shipping it to Thailand? You'll find it's an expensive proposition, particularly if you insure it. Your best bet is to enlist the help of a very, very kind friend from the UK who happens to be travelling to Thailand (while the pound remains weak) to buy an XBOX and bring it with him in his hand-luggage. Then you’ll have the expense or time/hassle of modding it. Or your friend could buy a pre-modded, second-hand xbox from the UK - actually that might be the way to go but you did express a preference for a new machine.

About modding the box: assuming you do get a new PAL 360 (it sounds like you haven't bought one yet), one way is to ‘soft-mod’ – you can search on youtube.com and find excellent videos which show you what you need and exactly how to do this. Soft-modding alters the BIOS and allows you to run LINUX, without opening the XBOX or installing any chip. People prefer soft-mods as opening a 360 invalidates the warranty - although if you are contemplating buying a UK console this may not bother you, particularly once you discover how expensive shipping is!

Alternatively pay a local shop to install a mod-chip – I can’t give any advice on the cost of this.

Have I done either of these things? No I haven't; I soft-modded my original xbox many moons ago using internet instructions (Google is your friend....) and I purchased my current 360, already modded, from a shop in Central, Bangna almost three years ago. I do sympathize with your frustration about the red-rings. Hard luck. My advice is to buy, locally, a ready-modded Elite, chipped or otherwise.

the advices you provide are for XBOX1, the OP is asking for xbox360.

so to clarify things, a pal xbox 360 will be only able to play pal games and some NTSC games that are region free(not a lot) after the dvd drive is flashed.

• 3 months later...
About modding the box: assuming you do get a new PAL 360 (it sounds like you haven't bought one yet), one way is to ‘soft-mod’ – you can search on youtube.com and find excellent videos which show you what you need and exactly how to do this. Soft-modding alters the BIOS and allows you to run LINUX, without opening the XBOX or installing any chip. People prefer soft-mods as opening a 360 invalidates the warranty - although if you are contemplating buying a UK console this may not bother you, particularly once you discover how expensive shipping is!

You can soft mod the 360 for linux now ??

Linkage please ??