Thailand Has Changed From A "repair Everything" Culture To A "throw Away" Culture In 10 Years.

coalminer

!0 years ago, when I came to Thailand on my first visit, I was amazed to see that everything would be repaired. Nothing was thrown away or placed in a junk yard as in many Western countries.

Many times I had a device which was broken.

Electrical kitchen appliances, electrical house appliances, mechanical appliances, etc.

No matter what, I could bring it to any local shop and they would fix it for a few baht.

OK, mostly I ended up with a device with parts from an unknown brand at the best or the device was completely modified and fixed up with "home made" parts.

But it was working again, and that was for me the most important.

But the "local handicrafts" have changed completely over the years and have become the same "throw away" culture as in the Western countries.

Last week, my hot water boiler (Turbora) stopped working.

I went to the local repair shop that which was marked on the manual.

The shop owner, without even opening the boiler, advised me to buy a new one and by preference a Panasonic. A brand that he as dealing.

I refused and stated that I wanted to have my boiler repaired.

The shop owner gave me a "receive document" and said that he would call me back within a week.

2 weeks later, the shop owner called me and said that the boiler could not be repaired. .

When I wanted to collect the boiler, the shop owner was surprised that the "fahrang" wanted to get his defectuous boiler back.

Then, he could not find the boiler.

After 2 hours searching and brabbling that I should buy a new Panasonic boiler, he endly found my boiler.

It was not even being opened for inspection!!!!!!

Coming home, I opened the boiler to check what was wrong and I found out that Pressure Switch (a micro switch) was defect.

I replaced the micro switch (15 Baht) and the boiler was working again.

This is only one example of the few occasions where a device was defectuous and nobody wanted to repair it but instead was offering a brand new device although repair would be very easy.

A sad evolution for Thailand.

!0 years ago, when I came to Thailand on my first visit, I was amazed to see that everything would be repaired. Nothing was thrown away or placed in a junk yard as in many Western countries.

Electrical kitchen appliances, electrical house appliances, mechanical appliances, etc.

No matter what, I could bring it to any local shop and they would fix it for a few baht.

OK, mostly I ended up with a device with parts from an unknown brand at the best or the device was completely modified and fixed up with "home made" parts.

But the "local handicrafts" have changed completely over the years and have become the same "throw away" culture as in the Western countries.

The shop owner, without even opening the boiler, advised me to buy a new one and by preference a Panasonic. A brand that he as dealing.

The shop owner gave me a "receive document" and said that he would call me back within a week.

2 weeks later, the shop owner called me and said that the boiler could not be repaired. .

When I wanted to collect the boiler, the shop owner was surprised that the "fahrang" wanted to get his defectuous boiler back.

After 2 hours searching and brabbling that I should buy a new Panasonic boiler, he endly found my boiler.

Coming home, I opened the boiler to check what was wrong and I found out that Pressure Switch (a micro switch) was defect.

This is only one example of the few occasions where a device was defectuous and nobody wanted to repair it but instead was offering a brand new device although repair would be very easy.

Do you think it could have been repaired for a Thai. My experience is that they like selling to farangs.

Well nowsaday, where most things are made in China and "relatively" can be bought much cheaper than before.....

by the time it breaks, there is something new and improved. Technology is always advancing. People that have the best continue to want the best. Most of the time it cost almost the same to fix something than to just go out and buy a new one that is potentially better.

Why didn't you do that in the first place? They still seem to repair some electrical goods, tv, dvd,cd and the like but things have come down in price and people have more money.

This happen everywhere and not only in Thailand,I live in Udon Thani and last week they fixed my breadtoaster,I still know many shops they repair fans washingmachines everything so dont say "a sad evolution for Thailand " because someone did not want to fix your boiler.I notice here on Thaivisa many times negative reactions about Thailand,if you not happy here go back where you came from.

You would tell me the same if I am complaining in your home country,this I dont like and that is no good you would say to me if you dont like it here you can piss to your own country.I am happy that they allow me to live here and I take the bad and the good things.

I am sure we get a lot more respect here,then we would give to thai's who live in our home country's.

Especially the Brits the way they thread the Indians and pakistanies in the UK. after milking them out in al those years.

Especially the Brits the way they thread the Indians and pakistanies in the UK. after milking them out in al those years.

Ho ho ho ho really so they didnt take any social security benefits in the Uk then bring their VERY extended families and almost never used the hospitals here............. they sure got milked eh hahahaahah?

Ho ho ho ho really so they didnt take any social security benefits in the Uk then bring their VERY extended families and almost never used the hospitals here............. they sure got milked eh hahahaahah?

I think he means how The British occupied their countries by force then bleeding them dry of anything of value.

Edited by Maigo6

I think he means how The British occupied their countries by force then bleeding them dry of anything of value.

Thank you but he knows very well what I mean.

Did you never hear the term 'Necessity breeds innovation'?

And anyway, I don't think this 'repair culture' has disappeared, rather the business that the OP has chosen to use is one that sells things, rather than sells and repairs things. Look around the corner or a soi or two further down the road and you are bound to find a shophouse business repairing household appliances.

Last year (and on the last friday evening before New Year's eve) the radiator Manifold on my car cracked, draining the radiator and stopping us in a traffic jam in the outskirts of Bangkok. Within three hours we were back on the road again, having been towed to a local radiator repair shop where the owner manufactured a new manifold from a brass blank. He stripped out the old radiator, cleaned the internals, selected a blank manifold that was the right size, cut holes for hose connections, soldering on the new connections, leak checked the assembly, sprayed it black and refitted it to the car.

We were back on the road again within three hours, my wallet lighter by the sum of Bht3500 (That included the tow truck, the repair and a pack of beers for the guys at the repair shop).

The repair culture is alive and well, and delivered with a smile.

Thank you but he knows very well what I mean.

I'm guessing that the Dutch didn't do the same in Indonesia then?

Did you never hear the term 'Necessity breeds innovation'?

And anyway, I don't think this 'repair culture' has disappeared, rather the business that the OP has chosen to use is one that sells things, rather than sells and repairs things. Look around the corner or a soi or two further down the road and you are bound to find a shophouse business repairing household appliances.

Last year (and on the last friday evening before New Year's eve) the radiator Manifold on my car cracked, draining the radiator and stopping us in a traffic jam in the outskirts of Bangkok. Within three hours we were back on the road again, having been towed to a local radiator repair shop where the owner manufactured a new manifold from a brass blank. He stripped out the old radiator, cleaned the internals, selected a blank manifold that was the right size, cut holes for hose connections, soldering on the new connections, leak checked the assembly, sprayed it black and refitted it to the car.

We were back on the road again within three hours, my wallet lighter by the sum of Bht3500 (That included the tow truck, the repair and a pack of beers for the guys at the repair shop).

The repair culture is alive and well, and delivered with a smile.

I tend to agree with you on this. Where I live in BKK, there a number of shops that repair stuff. Never really any problem, thye are normally a one man show, and have been there for donkeys years. I think if I went into a delearship, then they would try and flog me something that id didn't need, probably no different than in most countries. I still see the guy on his motorbike and trailer, collecting junk from houses, and proably recycling pasrts, or reparing things. I still think there is a lot less waste here in Thailand, than say back in theUK, although carrier bags continued to be wasted.

I had the same problem with my previous GF. Actually worked out better in the end with the new model.

I had the same problem with my previous GF. Actually worked out better in the end with the new model.

Howmany time have she been repaired ? :o

Edited by thesunset75

Wonderful! A thread about how Thailand's culture is changing and before halfway down page #1 some clown finds a way to engage in Brit bashing. What a tosser! By why stop there? With a bit more effort you can bring in George Dubbya and the Americans and bash them.

Still what do expect from the "if you don't like it p1ss off" brigade. I bet he takes it up the ar5e and says thank you.

To return to topic. It must be expected that eventually Thailand will get to the same level of wages versus replacement costs so that repairs are no longer economically viable. But I don't think it has got there yet by a long way, maybe the guy just wanted to sell a new unit and earn the commission/profit than scratch around for a few hours, potentially, for a couple of hundred Baht.

Wonderful! A thread about how Thailand's culture is changing and before halfway down page #1 some clown finds a way to engage in Brit bashing. What a tosser! By why stop there? With a bit more effort you can bring in George Dubbya and the Americans and bash them.

Actually, reading the whole thread, only a few replies were on topic.

A sad evolution for ThaiVisa .....

Still what do expect from the "if you don't like it p1ss off" brigade. I bet he takes it up the ar5e and says thank you.

I don't read the replies from such tossers anymore.

A total waste of time.

To return to topic. It must be expected that eventually Thailand will get to the same level of wages versus replacement costs so that repairs are no longer economically viable. But I don't think it has got there yet by a long way, maybe the guy just wanted to sell a new unit and earn the commission/profit than scratch around for a few hours, potentially, for a couple of hundred Baht.

I agree that the wages have increased over the years and repair is not longer economically viable.

But I have hired a "team" of 3 Thais to take everything out of my bathroom, including the tiles and install a new bathroom with a real bath.

They have been working five days, did a wonderful job, and all the work for 5000 Baht (1000 Baht/day for 3 persons).

For somebody who has work or who has a well running businness, repairing a device for a few Baht is not a good choice.

But there are many people over here who don't have a job or the competition is too much for them and in that case accepting the job or not would mean the difference between having something to eat on the table that day or not.

Well nowsaday, where most things are made in China and "relatively" can be bought much cheaper than before.....

by the time it breaks, there is something new and improved. Technology is always advancing. People that have the best continue to want the best. Most of the time it cost almost the same to fix something than to just go out and buy a new one that is potentially better.

....what are you trying to say teacup? built in condelesence(I think thats what it called)is bad? or its necesarry for advancing ???....or neither???

Edited by dee123

...built in condelsence ...e.g. old cars designed to last forever new cars with life expectancy of average 13 years,.....designed so,...P.S.Is it just a coincidence my new mobile phone battery charger gives up every 2 years???

Edited by dee123

....what are you trying to say teacup? built in condelesence(I think thats what it called)is bad? or its necesarry for advancing ???....or neither???

Built in obsolescence is what you are looking for and Jeez did I have a mental block remembering that myself.

coalminer, I agree that there are a lot of Thai people willing to turn their hand to anything often for a wage most of us wouldn't even open an eye in the morning for. But that's probably as much, if not more, a product of no welfare state that the economics of the job.

Thailand, like the rest of the developing world, is moving more and more towards a society of western ideals and economics. That is a fact whether we like it or not and Thailand is becoming relatively more expensive for it.

One day, unless there is a radical change in people's attitudes, Thailand will become a throwaway society the same as the west or at least very similar. But by then the west will have moved on and become a totally recycle based society where nothing is wasted or will be buried under thousands of tons of it's own detritus. Which of those scenarios is the more likely I'll leave to each individual to make his or her own judgement.

Built in obsolescence is what you are looking for and Jeez did I have a mental block remembering that myself.

coalminer, I agree that there are a lot of Thai people willing to turn their hand to anything often for a wage most of us wouldn't even open an eye in the morning for. But that's probably as much, if not more, a product of no welfare state that the economics of the job.

Thailand, like the rest of the developing world, is moving more and more towards a society of western ideals and economics. That is a fact whether we like it or not and Thailand is becoming relatively more expensive for it.

One day, unless there is a radical change in people's attitudes, Thailand will become a throwaway society the same as the west or at least very similar. But by then the west will have moved on and become a totally recycle based society where nothing is wasted or will be buried under thousands of tons of it's own detritus. Which of those scenarios is the more likely I'll leave to each individual to make his or her own judgement.

there we go Teacup ,...wev'e both learned something today!! :o

I think Thailand is still very far away to become a trow away society. Many times i have the greatest respect for some tecnicians who repair things perfectly without Hi-Tech tool and equipment, for in western eyes almost for free.

This year I went to a walkside clothing repair shop, they made 7 of my trousers smaller in about 2 hour for 280 Bath.

I think Thailand is still very far away to become a trow away society. Many times i have the greatest respect for some tecnicians who repair things perfectly without Hi-Tech tool and equipment, for in western eyes almost for free.

This year I went to a walkside clothing repair shop, they made 7 of my trousers smaller in about 2 hour for 280 Bath.

:o whats wrong with your legs

This happen everywhere and not only in Thailand,I live in Udon Thani and last week they fixed my breadtoaster,I still know many shops they repair fans washingmachines everything so dont say "a sad evolution for Thailand " because someone did not want to fix your boiler.I notice here on Thaivisa many times negative reactions about Thailand,if you not happy here go back where you came from.

You would tell me the same if I am complaining in your home country,this I dont like and that is no good you would say to me if you dont like it here you can piss to your own country.I am happy that they allow me to live here and I take the bad and the good things.

I am sure we get a lot more respect here,then we would give to thai's who live in our home country's.

Are you for real you sad :o

Wow that sure came out of left field. Are you sure you responded in the right thread?

Edited by Nacho

In a previous life I used to fix computers that used surface mount technology. When I say fix I mean with soldering irons, heat guns, pots of flux. etc. At the time when SMT was relatively new and expensive it was more economical to pay my salary and have me sit there fixing circuit boards. As SMT become ubiquitous it became very much cheaper and I became the expensive part of the equation so repair made way for replacement.

i guess it depends where you go.

have had fan (ok), fridge (ok),roof (not ok),

dvd player (ok), many motorbike things (half ok),

laptop computers (ok), etc,

but i take OP's point.

in Burma you see people on the steet rewinding motor coils, sharpening saws,

repairing absolutely everything,

blimey, if i had a thai GF i would have her fixed too.

it seems they are manufactured with inbuilt faults.

great new business idea.....

"got problems??? call the GIRLFRIEND FIXER",

very hi-tech equipment, just plug her in and zap her...

all done ,,, 50K baht please...

This is not true.

1 month ago my wife became tired and knackered.

I took her to see the doctor, but he refused to replace the wife with a newer model.

This is not true.

1 month ago my wife became tired and knackered.

I took her to see the doctor, but he refused to replace the wife with a newer model.

:D:D Classic.

I hope he didn't give her a thorough servicing though, before making the decision. :o:D

I think it depends on where you live in Thailand. My wife bought me a ghetto blaster five years ago, and the cd lid became defective, wouldn't stay closed. We took it back to the shop in Phetchabun, and it was repaired for us, free of charge, while we were shopping. We have over the years, bought several electrical items from this shop, and are obviously valued customers. For certain, the next time I buy anything electrical, I'll definitely look there first.

Many people on these forums conjure up all sorts of excuses for "Thai-bashing", but I've always found it's the same in all countries, and I've been to many, most folks are OK. Treat people decently and in general you get treated decently in return.