Northwest Airlines To Begin Using 757-200 To Nrt

Groongthep

Well this is the final straw. I have been flying Northwest Airlines several times a year between Seattle and Bangkok for many years, not because I think they're a very good airline but because their frequent flier program was very good to me. I also travel frequently on domestic flights in the US and those ff miles and the gold elite status really came in handy.

I now see that my flight (NW22) on March 8 from BKK to NRT will be using a Boeing 757-200 instead of the regular Airbus 330-200. The Tokyo to Seattle leg will still use a newer A330-200 though. The 757 is not a wide body jet and uses a 3 and 3 configuration. That means that if full, a third or the passengers will be in middle seats and everyone with a window seat will have to crawl over 2 people to get out. That will make for a miserable 6+ hour flight unless you're fortunate enough to have booked early enough to get an aisle seat.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with their upcoming merger with Delta but you can be sure that next year I will use up all my miles on Northwest/Delta and start using another carrier.

Well this is the final straw. I have been flying Northwest Airlines several times a year between Seattle and Bangkok for many years, not because I think they're a very good airline but because their frequent flier program was very good to me. I also travel frequently on domestic flights in the US and those ff miles and the gold elite status really came in handy.

I now see that my flight (NW22) on March 8 from BKK to NRT will be using a Boeing 757-200 instead of the regular Airbus 330-200. The Tokyo to Seattle leg will still use a newer A330-200 though. The 757 is not a wide body jet and uses a 3 and 3 configuration. That means that if full, a third or the passengers will be in middle seats and everyone with a window seat will have to crawl over 2 people to get out. That will make for a miserable 6+ hour flight unless you're fortunate enough to have booked early enough to get an aisle seat.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with their upcoming merger with Delta but you can be sure that next year I will use up all my miles on Northwest/Delta and start using another carrier.

I also noticed the NRT to BKK plane being switched to a 757. I think the switch occurs on the 6th or 7th of Feb.

In fact I just flew on a 757 in China about a month back. All I could think was, how old is this plane? I hope that the 757s used by NWA on this route have been fitted with personal in-flight entertainment screens.

TheWalkingMan

Yikes... two years ago they were 747s... then they switched to the 330s and there was a sudden unavailability of seats... I just came off a flight with them to/from Tokyo and both directions they were full.

Surely Delta has something to do with this... oh well. Guess I'll just have to stop flying NWA, not that I've been flying that much with them anyhow lately. My Platinum 2 years ago will be a Silver this year only because they will drop me one level from Gold (which I had to demand in the first place for last year).

Sad. They made such a great turnaround in the past 10 years... now they're going right back to crap.

perhaps the change of equipment into BKK is a cause of the dramatic reduction of passenger numbers into Thailand with all the recent local and intl problems combined. I understand how annoying it is, but can't really blame them if they don't have the bookings to support the A330 flying this sector. Perhaps the flight will be quite empty, since they saw the need to bring a smaller aircraft in, maybe you will get lucky and have a row to yourself.

At least you have an option; EVA flies SEA-TPE-BKK on modern B777s.

True, and I have heard only good things from my friends who swear by EVA. Only drawback is that EVAs only US domestic frequent flier partner is Continental and as I said the only thing that kept me flying Northwest in the first place was the ability to redeem their frequent flier mileage on a very extensive number of routes covered within the US. Continental has hubs in Newark and Houston but a very limited number of flights that dont require you to switch planes in one of those 2 places, unless of course you are going to New York or Houston. With Northwest you can use their mileage to fly up and down the US West Coast using their partner Alaska Airlines. Im not sure if Continental has a partner who flies those north and south West Coast routes, but I dont think they do.

A third option is United which flies B777s SEA-NRT-BKK, and they fly to more places in the US than any other airline. JAL also flies SEA-NRT-BKK but they have the smallest coach seats I have ever sat in and are very expensive as well, so they are out. There is also Korean Air and Chinese carriers that fly to BKK from Seattle via Korea and China but the times I have checked their schedules I saw that there were often really long lay-overs which made them undesirable choices.

I know this is heresy coming from someone from Seattle (the original home of Boeing) but depending on the seat configuration, I prefer the A330 to the B777. Regardless, I have flown on plenty of 757s and all of them s#cked. Real cattle-cars. I have never seen one with indivdual seat back video screens.

As you suggest I will probably go with EVA, unless Northwest changes their mind and stops using the 757. Hopefully its only a short term change until passenger numbers increase.

Edited by Groongthep

You may want to consider using Delta's partner Korean Air. They use 777-300s between Seoul and BKK and either 777-200s or 747s between the US and Korea (depending on the US city). The 777-200s in particular are terrific.

...I have never seen one with indivdual seat back video screens.

:D

Years ago, before NWA began with the A330 they used a different plane. I am not sure if it was a 747 or something else. Anyway, my flights from NRT were always a chore because of the lack of individual seat back video screens. Then I discovered Cathay Pacific and was in heaven. Individual screens and the occasional overnight layover in HK for a bit of sight seeing and relaxing.

I actually recall being at a travel fair in Tokyo and complaining to the NWA reps that I no longer flew with them because of the low quality in-flight entertainment. They claimed poverty.

Then they brought in the Airbus, I would like to think it was my suggestion :o and I was back on the side of NWA. Seems like a circle with these companies. From so-so to good and now back to so-so.

I called NWA to find out if the 757 would have individual seat back video screens... of course I could not get through. :D

For those who have not been on a 757 for awhile. Here is a picture of the entertainment you can expect for that 6 hour ride.

post-38575-1232259230_thumb.jpg

Need I say more?

TheWalkingMan

Years ago, before NWA began with the A330 they used a different plane. I am not sure if it was a 747 or something else.

They were 747s.

perhaps the change of equipment into BKK is a cause of the dramatic reduction of passenger numbers into Thailand with all the recent local and intl problems combined.

The flights I took this past week were full in both directions. There is no dramatic reduction of passenger numbers from the US and Tokyo - most of the reduction was from inbound European tourists.

The reason could well be that they simply need those planes on more profitable routes with high demand.

...I have never seen one with indivdual seat back video screens.

....I have never seen a 757 with individual seat back video screens. Triple sevens usually do have them.

The flights I took this past week were full in both directions. There is no dramatic reduction of passenger numbers from the US and Tokyo - most of the reduction was from inbound European tourists.

Northwest only plans on using the 757 on the leg between BKK and NRT. The NRT-SEA leg will still use the A330.

For those who have not been on a 757 for awhile. Here is a picture of the entertainment you can expect for that 6 hour ride.

post-38575-1232259230_thumb.jpg

They've invented something called the iPod (as well as shrunken computers so that some of them will fit on an airplane tray). You might want to invest in one of these modern wonders :o

As for NWA...stopped flying them years ago...if you're coming from the West Coast of USA...EVA is the only way to fly.

Just got of the phone with NWA in Tokyo. She had a very nice voice :D

Anyway, the 757s in use for the NRT-BKK route will not have individual monitors in coach. Just the 2 or 3 monitors hanging from the ceiling :o Looks like I am scratching NWA off my list on this route unless the ticket is a freebie.

TheWalkingMan

Either way, crap airplane.

Agree. I have sent Northwest an email along with a link to this forum thread through their website complaining about the change of aircraft. I let them know that myself and probably many others will start flying other carriers unless they reconsider their decision.

Either way, crap airplane.

Agree. I have sent Northwest an email along with a link to this forum thread through their website complaining about the change of aircraft. I let them know that myself and probably many others will start flying other carriers unless they reconsider their decision.

This is the response I received from Northwest. As I said before, I will begin using up the substantial number of Frequent Flier miles I have built up on them then start using another airline. Will probably go with EVA or United.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

RE: Case Number 6919528

Thank you for contacting Northwest Airlines concerning the our service

to Bangkok.

I am truly sorry for your disappointment with our decision to change the

aircraft used from Tokyo to Bangkok to the 757 aircraft rather than the

A330. As a frequent traveler to Bangkok, I can certainly imagine how

very disappointed you were when you learned the 757 is going to replace

the much-preferred A330 on Flight 21 and 22. Clearly, the comfort and

amenities offered on the Airbus A330 are far superior to those offered

on the more fuel efficient Boeing 757. Be assured that Northwest

aggressively competes for the opportunity to serve you and your comfort

is of paramount concern.

In an effort to address your concerns regarding aircraft service from

Tokyo to Bangkok, please understand that the airline industry continues

to experience many challenges leaving us no choice but to make schedule

and fleet adjustments worldwide. Consequently, it is necessary for us

to continually examine every aspect of our business in an effort to

remain a viable carrier now and in the future. That said, please know

that your point is very well taken and we appreciate your suggestions.

Many customers share their feedback with us, and these observations

oftentimes form the basis for improvements in our service. I want to

assure you that I will be forwarding your comments to the responsible

leadership teams for internal review.

Mr. XXXXXXX, I want to thank you, again, for writing. As a WorldPerks

Gold Elite member, we appreciate your continued commitment to Northwest

Airlines.

Sincerely,

Ginny Benson

Associate, Customer Care

Northwest/KLM/Delta Air Lines

An elderly B757-200 is more fuel-efficient than a modern A330-200 ??? Perhaps they're forgetting to allow for the considerably-greater cargo-capacity offered by a wide-body vs a narrow-body ? Seems strange anyway. :o

yep, someone at the airline figured we can fool these guys : operate a smaller plane, consumes less total fuel = more fuel efficient.

perhaps Ginny needs to be retrained in the art of bullshi$

I have ALWAYS flown NWA from the US to BKK. I looked forward to the planes from NAR to BKK because they were so nice. If they're "saving fuel costs" by flying these old planes, then I sure hope they plan on passing those savings down to the customers. I guess it's time to check into EVA...

This definitely has to be one of the worst decisions NW has ever made (and there's a long history of this). I cannot imagine anyone choosing to fly NW with their inferior service along with an inferior aircraft when there are so many other choices (Eva, Cathay, Thai, Singapore, China Airways, even United) who fly 767/777 or 747.

I was looking at a cheap flight BKK-NRT-BKK and found NW way cheaper. I had heard they were shit but with 330s I thought what the hel_l. Glad I didn't book just yet as no way would I travel on that aged old fossil.

757 finished production in 2005 after 23 years. So started to fly it in 1982 and planned it in the 70's and designed it with 60's technology !

• 5 months later...