Apple Iphone 3g In Thailand. What A Joke.

thaibkk53

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any 3G coverage in Thailand (Bangkok) that the iPhone can pick up?

I think there are 2 or 3 trial cells from AIS, but not sure they are open for customers.

The only commercial operating area is Chiang Mai, where you need a special "3G" simcard to get access.

Plus, AIS uses 900 Mhz for HSDPA, which I doubt the iphone does...

So in short, you're stuck with Edge/GPRS at best!

Thanks Monty. I was tempted to get the 3G iPhone but if there's no 3G then there's not really any point is there? Sure it's a pretty phone but the web will be limited to Edge speeds.

When checking the web using my N95 I think that the Edge speed is great. I suppose the only advantage of getting a 3G phone (when 3G eventually arrives) is for streaming videos (which I don't do much of - just use Edge for check work progress). By the time 3G eventually goes live there'll probably be a sexier phone to get. I'll bide my time.

Official unlocked iphones are available from MBK but they are priced at about Bt2000 premium to others (I think they are imported from Hong Kong.) I bought one and have no problem upgrading software through iTunes. Well when I say no problems it does delete most of your Cydia Apps but it would do that with an AT&T phone.

How do you know its an OFFICIAL unlocked one and not just a software unlocked one?

Whats the price for it? compared to walking into True store and getting and official one?

About three weeks ago I was tempted for the first time in my life to buy something with an "i" at the beginning of its name. I'm so glad I didn't. A friend of mine bought one last week, and is saying its the worst phone he has ever owned.

Specifically:

• No video
  • No flash
  • Only 3mpx camera
  • Can't connect to anything with Bluetooth
  • Syncing phone book is a nightmare

How come are people so in love with it? The only thing it has got which is good is the really cool interface, as far as I can see.

G

Edited by grtaylor

About three weeks ago I was tempted for the first time in my life to buy something with an "i" at the beginning of its name. I'm so glad I didn't. A friend of mine bought one last week, and is saying its the worst phone he has ever owned.

Specifically:

• No video
  • No flash
  • Only 3mpx camera
  • Can't connect to anything with Bluetooth
  • Syncing phone book is a nightmare

How come are people so in love with it? The only thing it has got which is good is the really cool interface, as far as I can see.

G

What's the nightmare about syncing the phone book? I mean.. it syncs your address book - that's it....

I connected my iPhone to the car stereo hands free without problems. I think the only thing is doesn't do is BT stereo for BT speakers.

BTW it has a 2MP camera which is pretty fine. Not the greatest camera ever but good enough to take the occasional snapshot. Or... well I guess I have over 1000 pix on my iPhone :o Like a whole lot of other phones, it doesn't do video and doesn't have a flash. I haven't missed either. My previous Nokia shot garbage video (tried it once and never used again) and had a crap flash (tried once and never used again).

I just love it because it works so well.... evidence to that fact is that I use the iPhone about 10 times more than any other phone I ever used. I use the mobile browser because it's great... the weather app, it's great too... the calendar, iPod, mail, app store, tweetie, etc etc... about the only thing I don't use is the YouTube app.

To buy a iPhone 3G in Thailand is like buying a really expensive boat when you live in the middle of Sahara. Useless. I just don't see the point of it. I owned the iPhone 3G in Sweden, a country with 3G network and I must say it's not that good. Yes the graphical user interface is the best ever but I didn't like a lot of things...

- A 3G phone without a secondary camera? Is this a joke? No video calls then.

- The 3G coverage was not so good. It dropped calls sometimes.

- Worst camera ever. Lousy 2 MP. No auto focus. No flash. The quality of the pictures is similar to Nokias back in 2004.

- Problem with Java and Flash object when surfing.

- Have to use iTunes for file transfer.

- Can't do file transfer via bluetooth.

- Can not use it as a modem.

- Don't have a file explorer system so I couldn't save or attach files in emails.

- The mediaplayer couldn't cope with steamed media.

- Don't have copy/paste. Extra annoying because:

- It can't forward sms.

- Can't handle multitasking.

To me iPhone is like a Gucci bag, it is very nice to look at and nice to flaunt around in Paragon, but when it comes down to serious business it isn't that good.

Edited by Hawkup2000

- A 3G phone without a secondary camera? Is this a joke? No video calls then.

- The 3G coverage was not so good. It dropped calls sometimes.

- Worst camera ever. Lousy 2 MP. No auto focus. No flash. The quality of the pictures is similar to Nokias back in 2004.

- Problem with Java and Flash object when surfing.

- Have to use iTunes for file transfer.

- Can't do file transfer via bluetooth.

- Can not use it as a modem.

- Don't have a file explorer system so I couldn't save or attach files in emails.

- The mediaplayer couldn't cope with steamed media.

- Don't have copy/paste. Extra annoying because:

- It can't forward sms.

- Can't handle multitasking.

Take a look at the upcoming firmware 3.0 features.

A lot of what you mention is addressed. People who buy the iphone 3g in thailand do travel outside Thailand on business, holiday etc. where they can use the 3G capability.

I still rate it alongside the Blackberry Bold as the 2 best phones on the market. There is just no comparison.

But LG KP500 doesn't even have wlan or 3G.

Who needs Wifi if coverage of Edge/GPRS is good and cheap in Bangkok and other major cities?

Do you have 3G in Thailand?

Let me do a prediction .... by the time 3G is well implemented in Thailand, your Iphone is out of date.

Edited by sniffdog

3G would be useless unless you travel extensively.

Wifi is handy though, there's so many places offering free wifi, and even heavily used wifi access points tend to be way faster then GPRS/Edge.

One application I use often when in Wifi coverage is skype, works just like a phone, virtually free. Doesn't work most of the time when on Edge though...

Who needs Wifi if coverage of Edge/GPRS is good and cheap in Bangkok and other major cities?

Let me do a prediction .... by the time 3G is well implemented in Thailand, your Iphone is out of date.

Hey, I sold my iPhone long time ago because it's many flaws. You said that LG KP500 is similar, then I just clarified by saying that it doesn't have wlan and 3G. :o I agree with you.

And I think by the time Thailand have a fully covering and functioning 3G network you will be able to buy teleporting devices in MBK so by then there's no need for mobiles anyway. :D

Edited by Hawkup2000

Hmmm, well I travel frequently to countries where 3G is available, and I haven't found my iPhone is "out of date". Not sure what your point is there.

Anyway, let's see what happens in July with the new iPhone firmware and probably new iPhones as well. Apple are not known as standing around and letting technology go past its expiry date.

My point is that most users will use the Iphone in Thailand. Sure, there will be people who travel abroad, but the major group who the Iphone is targeted for here in Thailand won't do that.

'and probably new iPhones as well.'

You answered your second question by yourself and confirm my prediction.

Regarding Monty's remark about Wifi. I used Wifi (both free and paid) on my laptop in Bangkok but didn't find it much faster than Edge/GPRS.

Futhermore, compare the coverage of EDGE/GPRS with the coverage of Wifi ...

And even if someone convinces me that Wifi and 3G are such important festures, the Cookie is only a third of the price of a Iphone.

Obviously, the speed of your WiFi experience depends on the speed of the router's connection to the internet. With a good internet connection, WiFi is orders of magnitude faster. Also, if you are using it at home or your office, you can use all the bandwidth for free. There are also WiFi intranet options for the iPhone. I have an unlimited GPRS package with AIS, but since I spend most of my time at home or the office, I find WiFi indispensable.

As for the "Cookie", yes it's 1/3 the price. The GUI is not going to be an iPhone experience, and perhaps as painfully cute as its moniker. You get a 200x400 262 color display rather than iPhone's 480x320 at higher resolution (163 ppi) at 16M colors. It comes with 49M of memory, rather than 8G on the base model iPhone. Cookie doesn't have GPS, but of course iPhone does. Cookie has shorter talk time and standby time than does iPhone. And how many applications are available to add on to a Cookie? And without Wifi? For many of thus, forget it.

I'd say the Cookie might be an iPhone wannabe for those with a lower budget, but you get what you pay for as well. We are really talking about two very different levels of devices here.

My point is that most users will use the Iphone in Thailand. Sure, there will be people who travel abroad, but the major group who the Iphone is targeted for here in Thailand won't do that.

'and probably new iPhones as well.'

You answered your second question by yourself and confirm my prediction.

Regarding Monty's remark about Wifi. I used Wifi (both free and paid) on my laptop in Bangkok but didn't find it much faster than Edge/GPRS.

Futhermore, compare the coverage of EDGE/GPRS with the coverage of Wifi ...

And even if someone convinces me that Wifi and 3G are such important festures, the Cookie is only a third of the price of a Iphone.

I'm with grtaylor. The spec. for the LG Arena looks very interesting. It's a minor thing, but, I like the added feature of the FM transmitter so that I can listen to web radio in the car without any additional cables. It has a 480x800 screen resolution. Guess it will be pricey when it comes out. Looks more interesting than the iPhone (to me).

Edited by bkkmick

I never intended to pimp the LG Cookie as an equal to the Iphone. Would you expect that at the price difference? I just compared the two of them for my personal situation.

Why would I use the Wifi at home, while I have a 22inch computer system at my fingertips? It's been determined that 3G capability is useless in Thailand because there is no support for most of the

people who buy a Iphone 3G.

I never use the internal memory of the Cookie. Almost everything goes directly on the SD card. Never intent to use the Cookie as my primary music player. That's why I carry my 60G Ipod around.

Although 8G (ore even 16G) seems a lot, it isn't for usual applications like watching movies or listening to music.

And GPS? Don't let me laugh. Are you really using that?

Edited by sniffdog

Yes, I am using GPS. Not so much for navigating, but it is integrated into lots of iPhone applications (you know, add-on applications that you can't get on a Cookie). For example, there are applications that can track your route and save it on a server for later reference, applications that will find the nearest movies, restaurants, Wiki references, etc. You can see Google maps if you need to know where you are in a hurry, and you can get street view if you are in a covered country. There is an internet radio application that gathers your location from the iPhone's GPS and presents local streaming radio stations. You can tag the photos that you take with the location using the GPS. There are dozens of applications that work with the iPhone's GPS and Location Services.

Anyway, sorry to make you laught...but the GPS reference was not meant to be humorous.

Most of us have at least one computer at home. But I like being able to see when important email comes in without having to settle in front of my desktop. iPhone supports push with MS Exchange, so I see my business email instantly. I also like being able to check a quick live currency rate, maybe check flight status before I walk out the door for a flight (along with real-time weather there), or even sit on the sofa and check what's coming up on UBC. I can leave my iPhone on my coffee table and make or receive Skype calls using WiFi. Those are just a few reasons why I would rather use my iPhone and wifi rather than going to my office at home and starting up my desktop. Same thing goes for other places that have wifi, like airline lounges. I can't be bothered to haul out my laptop between flights to do things like that. You are missing the point: iPhone is not meant as a desktop replacement. It's meant to provide effective connectivity for simple online functions when you need it.

I'm not too bothered about my 16 GB iPhone not having enough memory to carry about 20+ feature length films. I'd never use it to watch a film on such a tiny display anyway. Why would I do that when I have a 15.5" laptop display? That said, I have dozens of albums on it with plenty of room to spare, and I'm happy I'm not carrying around both a phone and an MP3 player.

So we all have different requirements. My iPhone serves a lot more than simply being a mobile phone. I can't see where something like a Cookie would be of much use at all. It's too expensive to just be a mobile phone, not enough internal storage to hold much music or many photos, no wifi, small low resolution display, no add-on applications. Maybe it looks cool or sort of like a real iPhone. But what's the point?

I never intended to pimp the LG Cookie as an equal to the Iphone. Would you expect that at the price difference? I just compared the two of them for my personal situation.

Why would I use the Wifi at home, while I have a 22inch computer system at my fingertips? It's been determined that 3G capability is useless in Thailand because there is no support for most of the

people who buy a Iphone 3G.

I never use the internal memory of the Cookie. Almost everything goes directly on the SD card. Never intent to use the Cookie as my primary music player. That's why I carry my 60G Ipod around.

Although 8G (ore even 16G) seems a lot, it isn't for usual applications like watching movies or listening to music.

And GPS? Don't let me laugh. Are you really using that?

I'm with grtaylor. The spec. for the LG Arena looks very interesting. It's a minor thing, but, I like the added feature of the FM transmitter so that I can listen to web radio in the car without any additional cables. It has a 480x800 screen resolution. Guess it will be pricey when it comes out. Looks more interesting than the iPhone (to me).

I think you will find an FM transmitter interface completely useless in Bangkok, or at least I have. I tried a Griffin FM transmitter with my iPod and couldn't find one single frequency that either doesn't have a station already on it, or else bleed from stations on adjacent frequencies.

Regarding web radio, I think you will find two issues. I have been attempting to do the same in my car using an iPhone:

- We only have EDGE here, and it does not do very well at all when using streaming and on the move. EDGE is simply not adapted to that, and you will nearly always lose your stream when you switch cells while moving quickly. I can use it when stuck in traffic and moving slowly, but that's about it. I am told that 3G does well with streaming and switching between cells, but I have not confirmed that.

- While you are using a GPRS/EDGE data stream, you will not be able to receive a call. I found that one out the hard way while listening to streaming radio in a traffic jam and missing about five calls. I did research and found that you only get data, or voice calls, but not both with GPRS/EDGE. On the other hand, 3G is capable of multiplexing both data and voice. Too bad Thailand is the only country in SE Asia with no 3G. You can try it out in Laos or Cambodia though...they have 3g.

I've been listening to BBC radio 5 in my car every day using N95/AIS/Edge for quite a long time now. Hardly ever interrupts while driving around Bangkok (taking kids to school etc.) and if it does it usually reconnects quickly. It's great not being able to receive a phone call for that hour or so. If you want to listen to the radio maybe you should dump the iphone and get an N95!

I've been listening to BBC radio 5 in my car every day using N95/AIS/Edge for quite a long time now. Hardly ever interrupts while driving around Bangkok (taking kids to school etc.) and if it does it usually reconnects quickly. It's great not being able to receive a phone call for that hour or so. If you want to listen to the radio maybe you should dump the iphone and get an N95!

As I said, it works for me when in traffic around the city. It's when I get moving such as on the motorway that I get frequent disconnects. Even in the city though, the occasional 10 seconds of buffering between cells is adequately annoying to put me off.

And I do wish I had the luxury of switching off my phone and listening to music during the day!

If I read this right, from the Jaymart website, it can be reserved from now until the 5th May at any branch of Jaymart for 500 baht, but is available already at Jaymart Siam Paragon for 17,900 baht.

G

- วันนี้ถึง 5 พฤษภาคม 2552

- จอง 500 บาท มูลค่าสินค้า 17,900 บาท

- จองไ้ด้ที่ เจ มาร์ท ทุกสาขา

- รับเครื่องได้ที่ เจ มาร์ท สาขาสยามพารากอน

Iphones are <deleted>

I bought mine, i hate it. Install sofware doesnt work half the time (have to reinstall it), you cant use it as a 3g modem for your lappy (without jail break), the battery life is TERRIBLE - about 24-48 hours, it makes evey kind of ring tone except "ring ring", the speakerphone is rubbish, the ringer isnt loud enough, the GPS is useless (directions are crap), you have to install all this apple software <deleted> on your computer and if not careful you can erase all your contacts on your PC and or on the phone, I hate it - and would gladly sell it for 10,000b if anyone interested.

I think you will find an FM transmitter interface completely useless in Bangkok, or at least I have. I tried a Griffin FM transmitter with my iPod and couldn't find one single frequency that either doesn't have a station already on it, or else bleed from stations on adjacent frequencies.

Regarding web radio, I think you will find two issues. I have been attempting to do the same in my car using an iPhone:

- We only have EDGE here, and it does not do very well at all when using streaming and on the move. EDGE is simply not adapted to that, and you will nearly always lose your stream when you switch cells while moving quickly. I can use it when stuck in traffic and moving slowly, but that's about it. I am told that 3G does well with streaming and switching between cells, but I have not confirmed that.

- While you are using a GPRS/EDGE data stream, you will not be able to receive a call. I found that one out the hard way while listening to streaming radio in a traffic jam and missing about five calls. I did research and found that you only get data, or voice calls, but not both with GPRS/EDGE. On the other hand, 3G is capable of multiplexing both data and voice. Too bad Thailand is the only country in SE Asia with no 3G. You can try it out in Laos or Cambodia though...they have 3g.

What a load of old <deleted>.

They have had 3g in Thailand since 2003. CAT/CDMA from CAT Telecom. I have the Sierra Wireless Aircard 5 years ago and it is fantastic. I frequently get speeds of up to 2Mb. It always works, can always get online, unlike ADSL connections the kids dont use it for games (expensive hardare 10,000 baht). Monthly cost very cheap unlimited use is about 700 baht.

And sorry to sound pedantic but 3G isnt actually a standard... for example you could call any phone that has a camera or a colour screen "3G"

Edited by CrossBones

sorry to sound pedantic but 3G isnt actually a standard

What a load of old <deleted>.

3G is the third generation of telecommunication hardware standards and general technology for mobile networking, superseding 2.5G. It is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) family of standards under the IMT-2000.

Edited by namoo

While there are many non-users slagging off the iphone, I would say that about 90% of users I have come across swear by it (admittedly that is not much of a statistic as users who didnt like the phone will usually have replaced it.)

The biggest problem with the phone is that it is pretty poor as acting as a basic phone. The ringer sound is way too low (although better on the 3G). It seems to have problems in recognizing numbers in your contacts. Reception and quality of sound seem not particularly good. And with such a large screen, battery life is restricted to 1 to 2 days.

The camera is also pretty poor for an expensive phone although it does have the advantage that it geotags photos which I find useful and photos can be printed by wifi. The photo application which organizes and displays photos is probably the best around - it syncs with a number of desktop applications, zooming and showing photo collections is simple and impressive on the screen.

The mail function is the best I have come across (but I dont think it can compete with Blackberry.) The internet browser is superb and remarkably fast considering we are on 2.5G. I dont notice much difference between edge and using wifi. Because of this I dont bother taking a notebook with me when I go away for a couple of days - there really isnt the need.

The phone is a very compelling purchase for anyone with an ipod. I use it for audiobooks, podcasts and for music. With 16GB capacity you can add 2000 songs (150 CDs) and still have half your memory left over. It also works with most ipod accessories such as speakers and iDJ.

The Apps are the other reason to buy the phone.

I am surprised that people are slagging off the GPS but then I have never had a phone with GPS before to compare it. It does use google maps which is in Thai but you can search for places in english. Anumber of apps make it better than many stand alone GPS units. xGPS is a better navigation tool than maps - it includes voice directions. Motion GPS is a biking/sailing GPS tool. Placebook allows you to keep track of everywhere you have been and then attach them to maps so you can directions to the place (good for obscurely located restaurants). I finder marks your location and enables an email of a map showing it.

There are a group of Apps that provide functionality on the phone that I have not seen before. These include the ability to ring yourself by anyone (useful for getting out of meetings). Blacklists and whitelists to restrict those people who can call you. HAC lets you keep a list of pseudonyms for callers, only accessible by password. 123spoof lets you phone someone and either hide caller ID or show a number of your choosing. All these are very useful in Thailand if you have a busy social schedule.

There are something like 15,000 apps in total so many of my apps are just for me. For instance a golf scope to give you distance to the pin. Nation news, bloomberg, Kitco etc. Personally I find the most impressive App is Shazam - this listens to music and tells the name of the song, the album and the singer. It even works 90% of the time with Thai songs all in about 10 seconds.

I also like the fact that by having one database you can share it with anyone. My GF has an iphone and my children itouches. I have bought at least 30 phones before and have tried every brand. When I bought the iphone 3G it was the first time I had bought an upgraded version of the same model - its extremely unlikely I will be using anything but an iphone over the next 5 years.

I wouldnt necessarily put people off the MBK option.

They sell 3 different types of iphone - 1. software hacked 2. turbo sim 3. fully unlocked (imported from HK).

Prices reflect the different type of unlock with the fully unlocked 16GB 3G version being most expensive at Bt29500 (two months ago). MBK will jailbreak for you and add 50 or so Apps as well as 16 GB of media. You can also trade in your old phone (got Bt11000 for my old iphone).

I always use Winner Telecom whose service is excellent - the first iphone was quite buggy and they always sorted it out. They are happy to upgrade the software for free (although this can be done via itunes with the fully unlocked version) and add new apps.

They will even deliver the phone for you. I'd certainly trust them in terms of their guarantee over True (who have yet to be tested.) On the basis that someone says they dont even install a Thai keyboard when they sell it, I am not convinced they are even knowledgeable enough to own an iphone let alone service it.