Koh Samui Internet

Hello

i don't know who to ask so i decided to post it here.

I am looking for internet service provider here in koh samui which doesn't require a whole land line tel phone and .....

i went to True UBC but they told me that their internet service is available only in bangkok. Can u guys help me pleaseeeeeee?

No internet is killing me.

Thanks all.

Hello

I am looking for internet service provider here in koh samui which doesn't require a whole land line tel phone and .....

i went to True UBC but they told me that their internet service is available only in bangkok. Can u guys help me pleaseeeeeee?

Thanks all.

You can try one of those wireless modems, into which you insert a sim card. They are availale from the shop left side of IT centre, Lamai.

Or use Wifi in an area with reception.

Or you can use Wifi in the IT centre or plug one of their LAN cables into your laptop.

Hope this is of some help. :o

go to cat telecom in nathon above post office,i brought a usb cdma and its great,very quick,cost me 800b a month and the device cost me 10,500b,it can be used all over thailand ,is really good.

I have heard a few times about CAT and it sounds great, however I have a mobile phone that supports CDMA, and don't want to shell out 10k baht on an unnecessary modem - have tried a few different phone numbers and dealers to try to obtain just a CAT CDMA sim card, and been quoted a laughable 8k baht just for a sim - no way.

Has anyone managed to obtain just a sim, and if so, how much and from where? Found one site that mentioned obtaining a CAT CDMA sim for 99 baht but it was Chiang Mai i believe - want a source in Samui if possible.

Also motocrosser, could you run a test at speedtest.com and let us know the results for upload and download?

Edited by danw

I did some searching and came up with this http://bluechipwireless.com/. It mentions that the service covers North Lamai and I'm not sure how strong the signals are as I'll be staying at the Renaissance. (Definitely not from the room... but maybe from the pool?)

Do you happen to know if wireless is accessible from Renaissance from this WiFi provider? I don't think I wanna pay the resort 802 bahts/day for their in-house wired LAN access.

Apart from the IT centre which btw looks cool. Are there any other options?

Cheers.

Hello

Thanks all.

You can try one of those wireless modems, into which you insert a sim card. They are availale from the shop left side of IT centre, Lamai.

Or use Wifi in an area with reception.

Or you can use Wifi in the IT centre or plug one of their LAN cables into your laptop.

Hope this is of some help. :o

Edited by dwoon

Hello

its me again :o

I am on CAT- CDMA usb modem type thingy .. so far so good.

so....:D my husband wants to know if it is possible to play xbox 360 online games using CAT USB moden thingy? does it work? can u play xbox LIVE games on 360 using this CAT CDMA usb modem?

We havent bought the game console yet but thinking of....

thanks again.

Edited by kungfupanda

as long as you have some way of connecting it with a RJ-45 / ethernet cord could be done. But if its a USB device attached to a labtop, and your receiving data / packets over air. It wouldn't be worth it since its not a steady flow like having asdl line just pluged into it. Plus Since I own a xbox 360, playing online games wouldn't be worth while since internet infrastructure here is well crap. You would need access to high speed internet ( note advertised speeds from internet providers are misleading you'd be lucky to get less than 50% of actual speed promised. While in the U.S. it was fine, but here in thailand its just not worth it. If you have any other questions please ask.

as long as you have some way of connecting it with a RJ-45 / ethernet cord could be done. But if its a USB device attached to a labtop, and your receiving data / packets over air. It wouldn't be worth it since its not a steady flow like having asdl line just pluged into it. Plus Since I own a xbox 360, playing online games wouldn't be worth while since internet infrastructure here is well crap. You would need access to high speed internet ( note advertised speeds from internet providers are misleading you'd be lucky to get less than 50% of actual speed promised. While in the U.S. it was fine, but here in thailand its just not worth it. If you have any other questions please ask.

Many many thanks livingthailandos. u just saved me a few thousand baht :o

This CAT CDMA thinjgy is fine but when u wanna watch stuff on youtube or upload music files ...it takes agessssssssssss...

i so misss my 100mbps BB connection.

but i guess i will have to..we both have to get used to the samui standards.

Have a GOOD DAY!!!