Visa Run: Chiang Mai To Mae Sai-tachilek

INFO: I did a visa run May 2008 from Chiang Mai - Mae Sai. Was pretty simple, had a 500 baht fare in a "VIP" mini-bus 3 day advance ticket. Had with 8 others + driver. Considered doing the local Thai bus from Chang Puuek station but wanted to see how it was like the first time there without undo hassle. This was during low season and it was hot as hel_l so it was nice to have AC. At that time this service was only offered twice per week (Wednesday and Saturday only). Took a very light day pack and a 1.5 litre bottle of water only.

No problems with this service whatsoever.

After pickup by Toyota minbus direct at guesthouse and picking up others left CM at about 8:00 am and arrived Mae Sai at 12:30 pm.

Driver gave instruction to all to meet back at designated parking spot (next to a restaurant) after border return crossing in 1.5 hours, left Mae Sai about 2 pm and arrived back CM 6:30 pm.

I bought duty free scotch (at the "on bridge" vendor / shop), Johnny Walker Black 1 litre for $26 USD cause it seemed a good deal then (30.5 baht / USD = 793 baht) I seem to recall about 1,200 baht for same at 7-11

Also bought 2 "Marlboro" cartons for $4 USD each. I don't smoke anymore but bought them for a smoking friend here in CM from one of the walking vendors in Tachilek. Color seemed a bit more brown than red on the carton printing. Are these Burmese counterfeits or just very old ciggies??

Anybody have comments on:

1) current trip costs and time (mini-bus vs local Thai Buses)

2) daily frequency of the minibus service in higher season (mid February 2009)

3) duty free cigarettes - counterfeits vs. very stale

4) Possibility of overnighting in Tachilek and picking up your passport the next day - any problems here on Myanmar or Thai side???

5) potential problems with Mae Sai - Tachilek border run other than the predictable ones from the poor sods who have overstay, have too many WALK stamps in passport, filthy, drunk, etc thru the border.

Thanks folks :o