Dvd Rentals /sales

Sparkles

I would like to start renting ,or buying if the price is ok, some DVD's. I like movies with a bit of substance and story. English sound track with Thai subtitles for my wife . The shops I have seen have a very poor range of movies. We live on the southern side of Chiang Mai. Any help would be appreciated

There's a video shop on Sriphum road, maybe about 100 meters away (my best guess) from the Sriphum road//Moonmeuang road corner, which has a bit more to offer than the average video shop.

It's unhelpfully just called The Video Shop and has the best collection of rentals I've found in the city so far. Music, Classics (although most of those don't have any subtitles) and a wide choice of current stuff. They keep some TV series but don't seem to update them that often. The number is 053-221 052 if you need directions. They also sell some recent titles for 60 baht (or rent for 50!).

There's a video shop on Sriphum road, maybe about 100 meters away (my best guess) from the Sriphum road//Moonmeuang road corner, which has a bit more to offer than the average video shop.

It's unhelpfully just called The Video Shop and has the best collection of rentals I've found in the city so far. Music, Classics (although most of those don't have any subtitles) and a wide choice of current stuff. They keep some TV series but don't seem to update them that often. The number is 053-221 052 if you need directions. They also sell some recent titles for 60 baht (or rent for 50!).

?????

there's a really good one on at the beginning of the Wing 41 road, off suthep road.

great varied selection, quite a lot of thai subs too.

If that is the shop just across from that little plaza where there is massage parlor whose sign shows a masseuse wearing only a towel :o then yes they have probably the best selection in town.

there's a really good one on at the beginning of the Wing 41 road, off suthep road.

great varied selection, quite a lot of thai subs too.

If that is the shop just across from that little plaza where there is massage parlor whose sign shows a masseuse wearing only a towel :o then yes they have probably the best selection in town.

Ultimately personal taste plays a big part in one's view about the best selection, so if you haven't yet, check out The Video Shop in Siproom Road and see how it stacks up to the one you mention - I didn't think it came close although it's the only other one I have seen that carries any kind of selection of European titles. It's probably a good excuse for hanging out near that "massage" parlour so maybe worth checking out again :D

(Edited to make it make sense...)

Edited by Greenside

Ultimately personal taste plays a big part in one's view about the best selection, so if you haven't yet, check out The Video Shop in Siproom Road

They also charge 300 baht membership or else you leave a deposit of about 250 baht for each video rented. 50 baht each for 3/4 days rental. 150baht to buy. Must order to buy.

Very good selection in my opinion. I've just rented two classic Indian and French movies and a Clint Eastwood. Hope they play on my DVD Recorder. Hope they're in English.