January Transfer Window In Epl

Sparkles

Its becoming increasingly obvious that the January transfer window is proving to be an unsettling time for a lot of players and the ,not so rich, clubs. I am a firm believer that if a players signs for a club he should play out that season. If he is unhappy ,or the club wish to dispose of his services,do it in the summer

Its criminal what is happening to clubs like Wigan and West Ham where their best players are being courted and clubs with money can de -stabalise their opposition who are in the same boat, fighting a relegation battle. Some players will never settle . I quote Bellamy as an example . A potentally good player but a "head case".Why should he benefit from his own in -discretions. Any thoughts ?

i don't think there's a perfect system. the transfer window was implemented to stop clubs poaching other teams' best players all the way through the season and it's kind of worked, e.g. chelsea or now man city can't just draw an opponent in the cup and then bid 30m for that opponent's best player(s).

regards your first paragraph though that's unworkable and illegal too. restraint of trade, if an average joe wants to change jobs after six months because he's had a better offer, he can. same should also go for footballers.

I don't think there should be a transfer window at all. You should be able to buy and sell, all year long IMO.

<deleted> me ^^, you get a bit of money than all of a sudden you turn into a...................

The January Trasfer Window is not good for the Game of Football for many reasons, i'll name some tomorrow.. :o

I don't think there should be a transfer window at all. You should be able to buy and sell, all year long IMO.

<deleted> me ^^, you get a bit of money than all of a sudden you turn into a...................

"Turn into a" what? :o

Fekk me, am i not allowed an opinion? I have never believed in the transfer window. Even before we had a "bit" of money.

If anything it is the poorer clubs who suffer as they usually lack a depth in their squad. A couple of injuries outside the window in which they can't buy someone to fill the gap can seriously ruin their season.

Fekk me, am i not allowed an opinion? I have never believed in the transfer window. Even before we had a "bit" of money.

If anything it is the poorer clubs who suffer as they usually lack a depth in their squad. A couple of injuries outside the window in which they can't buy someone to fill the gap can seriously ruin their season.

ok agree but what ever happened to the contract,they are never honoured.

ok agree but what ever happened to the contract,they are never honoured.

Whether a player honours the contract is a different issue altogether. The january window has no or little affect, on the contract, if a player wants to leave he'll leave, even if he has to wait until the summer.

Also, the player being in a contract is better for the club as they will recoup some money. Being out of a contract means he can leave on a free transfer and that isn't good for a club. That's why clubs renegotiate contracts well before the players current contract, is anywhere near it's end.

there's no perfect solution while the sport is governed by long-term contracts rather than standard employment law. the transfer window was implemented to protect smaller clubs from big sharks and from that perspective it's done its job.

Of course you can have an opinion, that's why we've got a good Football Forum here... :D

Just a bit convenient in " my opinion " that you think it should be open all the time but that's another story, i can only assume you're telling the truth & it has nothing to do with your new found wealth..

But the Window's bad i think..

Nonsensical was the word that my Manager used & i agree with him..

It encourages inflated Prices for Players, it encourages Agents to spread sh*t about the Players & unsettle them & it can rip Teams apart who build good solid sides ( Wigan ) & just because they don't have the financial clout of other Clubs, those Clubs can buy their way out of trouble in the Window & won't be held accountable for their inadequacies, & i think it's wrong...

I honestly don't know what the solution is though, maybe an extension of the Window would be an option, say for the first half of the Season for example but come January 1st, you're on your own with the Team that you've assembled ??

Maybe just have it open in the Summer ??

I just don't think it should be open all the time as, in my opinion, there is absolutely no point in competing if Teams like T*ttenahm & now Man City can just buy their way out of any sign of trouble that they get in cos what's the <deleted> point ??

Wigan are a prime example in all this..

Of course you can have an opinion, that's why we've got a good Football Forum here... :o

Just a bit convenient in " my opinion " that you think it should be open all the time but that's another story, i can only assume you're telling the truth & it has nothing to do with your new found wealth..

But the Window's bad i think..

Nonsensical was the word that my Manager used & i agree with him..

It encourages inflated Prices for Players, it encourages Agents to spread sh*t about the Players & unsettle them & it can rip Teams apart who build good solid sides ( Wigan ) & just because they don't have the financial clout of other Clubs, those Clubs can buy their way out of trouble in the Window & won't be held accountable for their inadequacies, & i think it's wrong...

I honestly don't know what the solution is though, maybe an extension of the Window would be an option, say for the first half of the Season for example but come January 1st, you're on your own with the Team that you've assembled ??

Maybe just have it open in the Summer ??

I just don't think it should be open all the time as, in my opinion, there is absolutely no point in competing if Teams like T*ttenahm & now Man City can just buy their way out of any sign of trouble that they get in cos what's the <deleted> point ??

Wigan are a prime example in all this..

before the transfer window came in wigan would have been fighting off bids for their players in november, december, february. . . .teams have always bought their way out of trouble, just that now it's different teams doing it and they've less occasion to do it.

before the transfer window came in wigan would have been fighting off bids for their players in november, december, february. . . .teams have always bought their way out of trouble, just that now it's different teams doing it and they've less occasion to do it.

So you agree with it as it is Steve ??

So you agree with it as it is Steve ??

i think it might be the lesser evil at the minute, though as i've said above i think it's far from perfect. at least now clubs like wigan get to keep their players for at least half a season rather than someone like tottenham nicking palacios off them in october when they get a couple of injuries.

i don't know what the long term answer is but it needs to involve clubs being forced to operate within their turnovers for a start.

I agree with it the way it is for the most part - but could be shortened to two weeks (media wouldn't like that though).

In general it affords teams the opportunity to shore up weak areas, get rid of dead wood. For fans, it presents a 2nd chance if you will for their team to turns thing around via a transfer.

While it can be unsettling for some teams / fans, this can be addressed by the manager. For example, when UTD picked up those two Serbians a couple weeks back, SAF came out afterwards and stated "We are done".

For a team like the Hammer's, I am sure this period is most unsettling although you wouldn't know it from their play recently. Perhaps this is an occaision when job uncertainty is motivating. :o

If i have the time, i will try to trawl through some of my older posts to confirm that this has always been my view.

As for teams buying their way out of trouble. As i said earlier, the bigger teams with depth in their squad aren't as reliant on this window. Look at how many players United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are buying now....not many. It's the smaller teams who through injuries etc they may lack depth and so they can buy someone to shore up the team. And in my view, this window artificially increases the price of players. It's a bit like an Xbox only being on sale at 2 times in the year, parents would be going mad to buy one and pay a premium. Having Xbox's on sale all year round stabilises the market price.

Yes City are unusual this year as we didn't have the time to buy many players after Abu Dhabi took over and look what inflated prices we are having to pay. Fortunately, we're rich as <deleted>, so it's a drop in the ocean :o

Fortunately, we're rich as <deleted>, so it's a drop in the ocean :o

I do hope City won't be as hated as the Red Club in Manchester is, by non Man Ure Fans but i just have a feeling, & i'm not singling out you MrBJ as you're one of many i know, that the way their Fans are talking about this new found wealth, they may be soon..

That'd be a shame cos as i've said a few times in the past on here, City Fans are generally a good bunch, just hope that doesn't change with the AD $$..

Fortunately, we're rich as <deleted>, so it's a drop in the ocean :o

I do hope City won't be as hated as the Red Club in Manchester is, by non Man Ure Fans but i just have a feeling, & i'm not singling out you MrBJ as you're one of many i know, that the way their Fans are talking about this new found wealth, they may be soon..

That'd be a shame cos as i've said a few times in the past on here, City Fans are generally a good bunch, just hope that doesn't change with the AD $$..

I'm milking it for all it's worth, Singhy. Being a Man City fan is like being on a roller coaster. We haven't won naff all for 32 years, can you blame us for getting a bit giddy. :D

As for being hated, well there is an old saying:-

"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die" - Malachy McCourt :D

Fortunately, we're rich as <deleted>, so it's a drop in the ocean :D

Most hated or most popular? :o

Fortunately, we're rich as <deleted>, so it's a drop in the ocean :D

Most hated or most popular? :o

Probably both. :D

i don't know, it depends how city fans carry it. if they behave like many chelsea fans did when abramovich arrived they'll be disliked for it. but they could invade tibet and nuke the vatican and they'll still never be as unpopular as the glams from salford.

i don't know, it depends how city fans carry it. if they behave like many chelsea fans did when abramovich arrived they'll be disliked for it. but they could invade tibet and nuke the vatican and they'll still never be as unpopular as the glams from salford.

jealousy is a wonderful thing :o

jealousy is a wonderful thing :o

i am not playing mind games, i am just stating facts.

like Rafa should do, leave the mind games to us. anyways, can you believe the spurs want to defer payments for palacious over 4 years to wigan???

no harm in asking but seriously, we have owners that are the same as levy :D but surely things arent that desperate in t-ham these days?

like Rafa should do, leave the mind games to us. anyways, can you believe the spurs want to defer payments for palacious over 4 years to wigan???

no harm in asking but seriously, we have owners that are the same as levy :o but surely things arent that desperate in t-ham these days?

nah i think levy's a scumbag, don't like the guy at all. the way he backstabbed martin jol was shameful.

i guess spurs spent all the money they got for keane and berbatov on bentley, pavlyuchenko and modric, so maybe they're not as flush as one might think.

no harm in asking but seriously, we have owners that are the same as levy :o but surely things arent that desperate in t-ham these days?

nah i think levy's a scumbag, don't like the guy at all. the way he backstabbed martin jol was shameful.

i guess spurs spent all the money they got for keane and berbatov on bentley, pavlyuchenko and modric, so maybe they're not as flush as one might think.

Redknapp & Levy are two Men the Game could do without imo..

Don't forget the sold Defoe, the bought him back for double the price, all in teh space of a year..

& of course, Harry didn't pocket a penney...

Don't forget the sold Defoe, the bought him back for double the price, all in teh space of a year..

isn't cuddly chirpy harry still under investigation from the bungs enquiry? not sure it ever finished did it?

isn't cuddly chirpy harry still under investigation from the bungs enquiry? not sure it ever finished did it?

still is.

i don't think there's a perfect system. the transfer window was implemented to stop clubs poaching other teams' best players all the way through the season and it's kind of worked, e.g. chelsea or now man city can't just draw an opponent in the cup and then bid 30m for that opponent's best player(s).

regards your first paragraph though that's unworkable and illegal too. restraint of trade, if an average joe wants to change jobs after six months because he's had a better offer, he can. same should also go for footballers.

I am a little confused as the legalities of this issue. If we take the Ronaldo/Real Madrid/Man U soap opera at the start of this season. Real were convinced they could persuade him to move. Man U said "no way he is under contract to us". Subsequently Ferguson made his much publicised statement that he wouldn't sell Real madrid a virus. So,from the clubs perspective, why is the contract not valid. Sure the player can sulk, go on strike etc etc . Obviously if it was the last year of his contract period the club would offload him.Would be interesting if someone knew where you could google the actual law.

Spurs policy on player recruitment is the scatter gun approach, sign as many players as possible and hope to hel_l some will come good. After watching the game against Portsmouth I am not so sure its working !

I am a little confused as the legalities of this issue. If we take the Ronaldo/Real Madrid/Man U soap opera at the start of this season. Real were convinced they could persuade him to move. Man U said "no way he is under contract to us". Subsequently Ferguson made his much publicised statement that he wouldn't sell Real madrid a virus. So,from the clubs perspective, why is the contract not valid. Sure the player can sulk, go on strike etc etc . Obviously if it was the last year of his contract period the club would offload him.Would be interesting if someone knew where you could google the actual law.

well for starters madrid were breaking the law by claiming to have talked to a player under contract, that's tapping up which isn't allowed. not technically anyway, doesn't stop clubs doing it of course. the contract remains valid until its expiry date but clubs sign players where the transfer fee is compensation for breaking the player's contract early. it's outside normal employment law otherwise all players would essentially be free agents able to move to another club whenever they wanted if that club was offering them a better salary, as in the real world.