Taking Kids Across The Border...

anonymouse

Hi all,

I've got to do a visa run in the next month or so and thought I'd bring the wife and kids for a change and give them a short holiday. What is the situation for crossing over into Burma with them. Obviously I have a passport and my wife an i.d card, the children have no formal identificataion as yest...do I bring copies of there birth certs?

Cheers

Steve

Someone posted this # elsewhere but just call Mae Sai immigration - 053731008 Find out what they want and require. It may also be a good idea to have a picture of you, wife and kids with some well known Thai landmark in your possession just in case someone questions if the kids with you are the same as the birth certificates. IMHO.

Ask yourself if taking the kids across into Burma is a prudent thing to do.

The answer, IMHO, is a definite No...it is not prudent. There are all kinds of pitfalls. :o Suggest the kids can wait until they are adult and can go on their own. Send the kids to a local fun spot while you do the trip alone.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am amazed.

You have (half?) Thai kids and a Thai wife. You are considering crossing and returning from Thailand to Burma. Yet you are asking mostly anonymous farangs about this in an English speaking forum .. who have what authority on the subject?

Really, don't you believe this task would be better served by your Thai wife speaking to some Thai and/or Burmese authority?

Howdy all I'm new here and I am shocked at anyone considering taking kids into Burma. It is a risk I would not even dream of taking especially were they my kids. I can say this as I once had a terrible near pants wetting experience as I was pulled into the Burmese immigration office and had my passport confiscated and placed into a desk drawer. Then I heard, "what are we going to do next" from the Burmese official. I managed to get my passport back and ran across that bridge back to Thailand like greased lightning. That was some years ago. I went with a group of friends from Chiangmai to Mae Sai in December and some of the wives went to Burma but I didn't let my wife go no matter how cheap a bottle of Black Label is over there.

Burma is just a bad place, on my black list with other countries like the USA and Afghanistan. You'd be better off just paying for a visa extension or fly to Singapore.