Pants Hem

just_Elaine

We're looking for someone who can shorten the legs on a couple of pair of pants. Someone located West of the moat in the Kad Suan Kaew, Central Airport Plaza or Lotus Hang Dong areas would be good for us.

Thanks in advance.

Elaine

Hi Elaine

Can't help you with anyone in those actual places, but if you go to the markets, there is usually someone who does alterations. The lady in our local market does it for something like 20 baht, I think.

Jeez, yeah! I was here as a tourist at first and found a lady with a sewing machine by the side of the road who hemmed 3 pairs of pants for 80 baht.

Did a great job.

She's still there. Inside the moat near Suthep road.

Try around just about any market... ?

Have to agree with Bill.. is there something in the water these days that turns people into helpless puppies? :o

Now, some people will think we're just being nasty, but I do notice that more and more questions get asked here of the type that absolutely ANY local Thai person would be able to quickly answer.. So is Chiang Mai on its way to becoming more like Bangkok where expats are happy to insulate themselves from everything except other foreigners, on forums or otherwise?

Chiang Mai is full of ladies who sit at their sewing machines, at the side of a road, doing mending and minor alterations. There is one who sets up most days on Ratchaphuek Rd. just off Huey Kaew. It's the road opposite the Shell station just west of Central KSK. We've used her a few times to replace lost buttons and repair torn clothing.

Our laundry lady also does minor repairs. She has a sewing machine in her shop -- that was our first clue that she did minor alterations.

Of course, neither of these ladies could help if you expect someone to have the facilities for you to try on your pants and have them mark them for heming. You probably should visit a tailor shop for that. I can think of at least four or five near KSK Central.

All you have to do is walk around for five minutes during normal business hours and you should be able to find someone to do the work.

Chiang Mai is full of ladies who sit at their sewing machines, at the side of a road, doing mending and minor alterations. There is one who sets up most days on Ratchaphuek Rd. just off Huey Kaew. It's the road opposite the Shell station just west of Central KSK. We've used her a few times to replace lost buttons and repair torn clothing.

Our laundry lady also does minor repairs. She has a sewing machine in her shop -- that was our first clue that she did minor alterations.

Of course, neither of these ladies could help if you expect someone to have the facilities for you to try on your pants and have them mark them for heming. You probably should visit a tailor shop for that. I can think of at least four or five near KSK Central.

All you have to do is walk around for five minutes during normal business hours and you should be able to find someone to do the work.

Nancy -

Thanks for the information. In Bangkok, we did use our laundry lady, but here we have a washing machine and do our own laundry. We have seen people on the road with sewing machines, but not near us. We'll try the person on Ratchaphuek. It's just for shortening some jeans so we weren't looking for a tailor.

Thanks again,

Elaine

Edited by just_Elaine

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention this if anyone needs a hem near Miahia market. Yes, there was someone at the Miahia market. We actually walked around twice and did not see her (she has a racks of clothing covering her area) and per our housekeeper, she does not open until late - after 2pm. She did an okay job on two pairs of jeans for my husband.