Family Payment

freemane99

Hi there,

I have seen alot of my friends pay anything from 50,000 upto 300,000 to families of thier wife's to be.

I myself paid a dowry having been with my girlfriend for 4 years before we decided to get married, (we did have a 2 year old son)

The mother in law wanted 100,000 but I offered her half as a compromise as she had a cushty job working as a nanny looking after her grandson. She was happy to agree as I was putting her daughter through University and mentioned she would be looked after in her old age. I also pay her a modest salary plus pay for her room. She had lived with us for 6 months but it got a little uncomfortable so adjustments were made.

I think 300,000 baht is too much, try talking to the missus and say your happy to pay a dowry but maybe not for quite as much. (or at least let her know that the said amount is only for show and you would be expecting at least a considerable amount back) As it happens a friend of mine paid a million baht to the family of his beloved. They managed to buy a new house out of it and needless to say the guy in question is already divorced from her.

Anyway good luck and all the best for the future

My Thai friends sister just got married to a thai guy and he paid about 200,000. They are not from Isaan they are from Surrathani. In all cultures gifts or oney are exchange in some way. In some cases the Thai family will offer the money back to the couple as a life starter gift depending on how well off the family is i guess.

Just give what you can afford to give, if someone sets a price that smells a little bit like matromonial prostitution, however offering less than 50,000 i think would probably not go down too well. Weddings are cheaper here so just offset it against what you are saving on not having a western affair.

At this exchange rate i would be putting the wedding back, unless you are dealing in Euros? i am waiting for the pound to hit those high 60's again, i certainly will not be just handing out more than 100,000 baht. They also need to accept that in our culture we do not just hand out dosh, it is supposed to be for the couple not the parents who typically have everything they need by the time their kids marry. So, compromise and set a reasonable price. I guess the way they see it, what is the point in their daughter marrying if she is not marrying someone who can provide for her and help out the family. I guess i kinda got lucky because my GFs mum just said she didn't care if i was rich or not as long as the marriage was for love and i took good care of her.

Whoever you marry you end up an ATM, its just cheaper being an ATM here than it is back home. :o