Only In Thailand!

eyebee

Took a couple of pics in Big C in Pattaya the other day. These are things you would only see in Thailand. If you've got pics of a similar nature, please post them here.

The first is a sign seen on the underside of a toilet seat.

post-7683-1232436812_thumb.jpg

And the second, I am quite flabbergasted by - in plain view in the outside area of Big C - would be illegal in many countries I reckon.

post-7683-1232436896_thumb.jpg

As I said, if you've got any more, post 'em here!

Took a couple of pics in Big C in Pattaya the other day. These are things you would only see in Thailand. If you've got pics of a similar nature, please post them here.

And the second, I am quite flabbergasted by - in plain view in the outside area of Big C - would be illegal in many countries I reckon.

And why would the second photo be illegal in many countries ???

Well the Robertson's Golly has been removed from jars of Robertson's Jam in the UK as it was deemed to be racist. If that were racist then this depiction of a "Little Black S*mbo", is clearly racist too.

Well the Robertson's Golly has been removed from jars of Robertson's Jam in the UK as it was deemed to be racist. If that were racist then this depiction of a "Little Black S*mbo", is clearly racist too.

Who said its a depiction of a "Little Black S*mbo".....could be a depiction of an Isaan rice farmer during Songkran...Only you are reading the racist connotation into the photo...

Toothpaste formerly named "Darkie" changed to "Darlie"

Darky, or darkie, is a racist term formerly used primarily in the United States and Britain to refer to black people. The package featured an image said to have been inspired by an Al Jolson performance, that of a wide-eyed, smiling dark-skinned Black male wearing a top hat, monocle and bowtie. Because of the contrast with very dark skin, it was a common perception that the teeth of people of African descent were exceptionally white.

The evolution of Darkie/Darlie Toothpaste

Due to changing sensibilities regarding race and racism and efforts by certain interest groups, blatantly racist branding practices common in earlier decades began to end in the 1950s. In much the same way the tobacco brand name Nigger Hair had become Bigger Hare, the name of the toothpaste was changed in English-speaking markets to "Darlie" after the 1985 acquisition. Along with the name change, the image on the packaging was altered to reflect a less stereotypical, more contemporary one in much the same way the trademark character for Aunt Jemima pancake mix evolved over time.

Source:

DarkieToothpaste.jpg

In Germany a brand of chocolates made in my home town had a "black man", the "Sarotti-Moor", more some sort of cartoon pic, carried a tray,

This traditional German brand is only known in its home market. Due to political correctness the moor hasn't been carrying a tray anymore since 2004.

Sarotti-MohrI.jpg

Poster:

Sarotti-Mohr-Poster.jpg

However there other unusual sights too....

smilePolice.jpg

Photobucket002.jpg

Note: "Beautiful Hostages"!

Photobucket001.jpg

Edited by Samuian

Yes in the UK.

I have a mop at home that is called "Black Man" even has a depiction / graphic of what he should look like.

Yeah, i've got one of those at Home too...

Ok, i've got one, how about, a Father balancing his 6 - 9 months old Baby Boy/Girl with a Towel wrapped around it, on the Petrol Tank of his Chopper Motor Bike & Riding off with it there ??

No Camera on me at the time unfortunately..

These are things you would only see in Thailand.

Me photos:-

From Lop Buri

large.jpg

Wat Phra That, Doi Suthep, yes, inside the famous Temple

large.jpg

The road to Kan

large.jpg

Wong side of the road (normal on these roads BTW) in Kan

large.jpg

Massage anyone Hua Hin

original.jpg

Says it all really (BKK)

large.jpg

and for "Samuian" at the base of "The Big Buddha"

large.jpg

and my last two Kan only be found in Kanchanaburi

original.jpg

me all time favourite

original.jpg

Yours truly :D

Kan Win :o

I have a mop at home that is called "Black Man" even has a depiction / graphic of what he should look like.

med_gallery_35489_957_373862.jpg

Does the black guy remind you of anybody?...

gallery_35489_957_38383.jpggallery_35489_957_1877.jpg

I guess there's something of a resemblance.

One of the in-laws neighbours has three lawn jockeys acquired from the US (daughter married & living in the US). I was actually surprised that you can still buy them over there. I haven't got a photo, but if you google 'lawn jockey', I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Ever been to the Suriaj Hospital Forensics Museum?

Several times. Last time I was stopped from using the camera, but not before I'd taken a few snaps and a video to boot. On the video you can here the pleasant young lady request - excuse me, no photo sir. :o

I've actually got quite a few snaps from my visits there, unfortunately, the best ones aren't digital.

Seem many of these over my long stay in Thailand, however; I must admit I am a bit jealous of the toilet seat sign, not because I would want to use the toilet like this, but because I could not do it in my wildest dream. :o:D

Thread should be called things you probably would not see in the West, but most are hardly unique to Thailand. For Old China Hands, there are many such photos that have been in circulation for years, many are much more funny. Unfortunately I cannot find any of the old e-mails I used to get.

TH