Us - Irs Filing; Ssn Versus Itin - Which Is Better Way?

Good morning,

I have the questions regarding applying the Social Security Number (SSN) and Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for the US - Internal Revenue Service (IRS) this year.

I and my Thai wife was married last year in Bangkok. She is still in Thailand and in process of getting herself interviewed at the US Embassy on or around the middle of March, 2009. I have applied the green card for her (not K-3). All paperwork from National Visa Center are on the way to US Embassy in Bangkok, (supposed to be eight weeks from the time of completion.)

Based on general information that I received from many discussion boards, an ITIN filing will have a lot less benefit than social security number. It also takes approximately seven months to obtain the number, to be used for next year. The most important information is that, the filing with ITIN will be inelligible to get any economic stimulus package, if there is one for this year or in the future. (Only the filing with SSN will be eligible for that amount.)

My tax filing this year will be married and my wife will file with me. I would like to hear some of your expertise regarding which way I should file.

My thoughts are the following:

1. If she passes the consulate interview, (hopefully she will), then, the visa will be granted. (I think, the green card will be mailing to her address in Thailand within a month. - please correct me, if the information is inaccurate.) I plan to fly her here to the States. Then, apply her the SSN. We will get an SSN within a few weeks. However, this method will pass the April 15, 2009 deadline. (I can file the extension. However, I look at both of our taxes, we will suppose to get a refund.) After getting the SSN, then, we will file the late extension in the USA. We should get the refund within a month. Her SSN will be good forever.

2. If I file with ITIN, we still have time before sending out to the IRS in Austin, Texas. It will take a long time to process. We beat the April 15, 2009 deadline but likelihood, we will not get any refund until many months passed. (W7 is manually handled, not electronically.) This is one time deal. Likelihood, we will file with the SSN next year.

Question here: (Do we need to have the W7 form and copy of her passport notarized at the embassy since, there is no IRS representative over there?) I have never filed with ITIN before. So, if someone can provide the knowledge regarding required documents, we will be very much appreciated. (We have our marriage license translated into English and certified by the Thai Consular Department as well.)

I also asked KPMG, who can act as an IRS acceptance agent, to do the tax for us with ITIN, they asked for $1,500, which I believe that it is too expensive.

I do appreciate your time and response regarding this matter. Thank you.

Can you just file as single now get what refund would be due and when she gets the SSN file an amended return later and get more?

I have filed with my wife's ITN for going on 8 years now, but I don't get refunds since no US tax is ever withheld.

TH

Why don't you check IRS site for filing an extension of time to file form. This will allow you to file late but not delay any taxes due on April 15.

You can also check Social Security site for form SS-5 and instruction of obtaining a SSN. You may be able to get number now.

Edited by ballbreaker

The most important information is that, the filing with ITIN will be inelligible to get any economic stimulus package, if there is one for this year or in the future. (Only the filing with SSN will be eligible for that amount.)

Shes not even there yet and your working out how she will claim her handouts...

:o