Local Grown Teas

Samuian

I'm not a connoisseur, but I like the oolong tea from the Doi Kham / Royal Project stores. I go for the most expensive one, in the gold colored foil packaging. This is the rolled up type, which extends into full leaves when steeped in hot water.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is a high end quality Thai tea shop in the shopping village at the Mandarine Dhara Dhevi hotel.

Hi,

any information about suppliers/Shops where to get "Ming Thai Oolong" and other Quality Teas like grown in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Prae/ Region?

Any Experience with the quality, any tea connoisseurs here?

Thank you!

Hi,

thanks for the replies so far, I am more looking for "farm sales" if it's grown in the region, there should be farm outlets...

Nad "Mandarin Dara Devi" has certainly a nice mark up on their stuff...but thanks so far!

Hi,

thanks for the replies so far, I am more looking for "farm sales" if it's grown in the region, there should be farm outlets...

Nad "Mandarin Dara Devi" has certainly a nice mark up on their stuff...but thanks so far!

Try this place that i found on the web. I've not yet got round to finding their location in san sai, so if you do get there, perhaps you could give us some directions! Unless i get there first, in which case i'll post them up here.

http://www.time-for-tea.net/

One tea grower in Mae Salong, I think their name is Chok Charoen, does have an outlet at, of all places, the airport. As you might suspect, their stuff isn't cheap, but it is the best quality tea i have found in chiang mai. In fact, it's some of the best quality tea I have ever had. It comes from Mae Salong. This is a Kuomintang village so the local tea growers draw on the tea growing in Taiwan. Taiwan is particulary famous for its oolongs. And the oolongs at this place are as brilliant.

One tea grower in Mae Salong, I think their name is Chok Charoen, does have an outlet at, of all places, the airport. As you might suspect, their stuff isn't cheap, but it is the best quality tea i have found in chiang mai. In fact, it's some of the best quality tea I have ever had. It comes from Mae Salong. This is a Kuomintang village so the local tea growers draw on the tea growing in Taiwan. Taiwan is particulary famous for its oolongs. And the oolongs at this place are as brilliant.

Interesting. Funnily enough, yesterday i was in worawot market and found a stall in the inside area with lots of teas for sale at good prices. She told me they came from mae salong, which i'd not heard of. Now i read of the place again in your post! Including the teas for sale there were oolongs and jasmine tea.

Did you come across any unique teas in your searches that may not be sold everywhere... I am always interested in trying new types of Tea.

I hate to sound like a shill for that place at the airport but they do carry some very unusual teas. One I tried on Friday was called 10000 mile tea. I wasnt very taken with their jasmine and the manager had me try this one. A beautiful tea that naturally has a peach taste. They also offer a superb tea which I call "Have you lost your mind? tea" because it costs 2000 Baht for 200 grams. But when you consider that it takes only 1.5 grams to make 5 mugs of tea, it's not really so much. Their sticky rice tea (tea that naturally has the flavor of sticky rice) is the best I've had in Chiang Mai. anyway, they will ply you with free samples of tea there.

You might want to consider a trip to mae salong. It's a beautiful place. The merchants are ethnic chinese and the workers are akha.

Did you come across any unique teas in your searches that may not be sold everywhere... I am always interested in trying new types of Tea.

I hate to sound like a shill for that place at the airport but they do carry some very unusual teas. One I tried on Friday was called 10000 mile tea. I wasnt very taken with their jasmine and the manager had me try this one. A beautiful tea that naturally has a peach taste. They also offer a superb tea which I call "Have you lost your mind? tea" because it costs 2000 Baht for 200 grams. But when you consider that it takes only 1.5 grams to make 5 mugs of tea, it's not really so much. Their sticky rice tea (tea that naturally has the flavor of sticky rice) is the best I've had in Chiang Mai. anyway, they will ply you with free samples of tea there.

You might want to consider a trip to mae salong. It's a beautiful place. The merchants are ethnic chinese and the workers are akha.

Thanks... I will give it a try. I have heard MAE SALONG is a good place to go... i think next weekend i will carve out a day trip and check it out. THANKS AGAIN!

Doi Mae Salong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santikhiri is one of my favourite places to visit. Lots of different tea vendors along the main road through the village, fantastic scenery and a fascinating history. Particularly beautiful this time of year with all the trees in blossom, mists etc, though a bit cold.