Thai Airways Cut Domestic, International Fares

george

I am officially impressed. Good on them.
You have a very narrow and tunnelled vision of Thai commercial announcements.

LETS SEE THE PROOF!! :o

TOURISM INDUSTRY

Free visas for all tourists

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

The Cabinet on Tuesday waived travel visa for all nationals for over the next three months as one of four short-term recovery measures to restore tourism industry.

The move is expected to draw more Chinese travellers, one of the main target group, to the country.

The second strategy is to reduce entrance fee to all national parks in the Kingdom. The agreement is aimed to boost domestic tourism.

The third is to allow private sector to claim back-meeting and conference tax at double rate from original. Last measure is cutting the landing and parking fee for aircraft at major airports in the country.

Speaking after chairing Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva expressed hope that the tourism industry could be restore through theses measures.

He earlier said number of tourist is returning closed to normal rate prior to the start of economic crisis.

However, it is speculated that only four tourism measures, from total 13 measures submitted to the Cabinet were approved.

Proposed measures that was rejected includes cutting hotel room rate and airfare proposed to Thai Airways International, reducing value added tax on hotel room rates for one year, an exemption annual fee of Bt80 per room and urgent plan to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga for local tourism.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always a little suspiciouis of "Up to 50 %", so will wait and see what the actual offers are. If return flights originating from Thailand get the same discounts, then great news

worth remembering the phrase 'up to' clearly implies the number zero!

as in "i have pulled up to 10 women today"

The Cabinet on Tuesday waived travel visa for all nationals for over the next three months as one of four short-term recovery measures to restore tourism industry.

The move is expected to draw more Chinese travellers, one of the main target group, to the country.

Chinese New Year holidays have already started so for the bulk of Chinese tourists, it's too late !

And for Hong Kong, maybe they should negociate with the SCMP. If someone wanted to keep HK tourists out of Thailand, there was no better timing.

I got an idea... if we reduce the visa-on-arrival time to say, about 2 weeks, then even if we don't get more tourists, it'll show that we have more arrivals!

Trust me, it'll look great on paper...

Even if it doesn't work like that, it will at least make those "farang kee nok" go away, somewhere else (with their money, dam_n!)

(btw, I'm set, doesn't affect me personally, just seems like they enjoy shooting themselves in the foot)

Has anyone tried EVA Air

Eva Air?

They do a direct from Heathrow to BKK for £448 sterling - Thai Airways want £538.

I have flown Thai before and liked the crew service, but being someone who cannot sleep I really badly need a watch on demand enterment system so I can kill the flight with 4 movies and some old top gear episodes. Thai lacked this on my last flight with them in August, they had screens but if you did not watch from the start of the film you were screwed, it also seemed like it was playing of VHS so the picture was grainy.

UPDATE - I am going with Eva;

http://www.key2holidays.co.uk/thailand/con...?page=Eva%20Air

* 33" seat pitch / reclines 165.3 degrees

* 18.3" seat width

* 3 - 3 - 3 seat configuration

* Adjustable headrest and foot rest

* 8.4" LCD touch screen TV Panosonic 3000i Audio Visual on demand

* Global Satellite telephone system with SMS text messaging service

* Push Button controls built into arm rest

* Amenity Kit with slippers

* 20kg per person luggage allowance

* Choice of Asian or Western cuisine

* Pre assigned seats 100 days before departure if required

evaair.jpg

For an extra 300 pounds (all year) you can upgrade to Elite Class (Evergreen Deluxe Class);

* 38" seat pitch / reclines 165.3 degrees

* 18.5" seat width

* dedicated check in

* 2 - 4 - 2 seat configuration

* 110v power outlet

* noise cancelling headphones

* personal coat hooks

* 25kg per person luggage allowance

* Choice of Asian or Western cuisine - ugraded meal service

evaair2.jpg

Edited by tlusername

London to Bangkok

Flight 1 Friday, April 03, 2009 Departure: 12:30 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3 Arrival: 06:05 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG911 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Business

Bangkok to London

Flight 1 Saturday, April 18, 2009 Departure: 01:10 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 07:15 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG910 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,
  • GBP = British Pound,
  • THB = Thai Baht

I did this same route at Christmas (with another carrier) for less than £1500.00 (Less than half price!)

Price Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (3,435.00 + 224.70) = 3,659.70 GBP (188,415.08 THB)

Today TG website seems to be quoting economy B38,560 Bangkok-London return, except Saturdays. Bkk-LAX return B36,615 - if you can get a seat. Seems pretty cheap to me. Also, domestic fares seem to have halved - eg, Phuket-Bkk return is mostly B3,630, Ubon 3,240, Chiang Mai 3,090 some days. Or am I missing something here?

Interesting. Just today I was searching Bangkok/Chiang Mai round trips.

The Winner? Bangkok Airlines (Promotion) @ 11K for the family and you get to use thier lounge.

next Nok Air aound 12K

finally Thai Air at around 15K

I guess thai have not updated thier web site yet?

I think we will give bangkok airways a try in our next trip.

NOK AIR ??? They are mother f***kers ! 6 months ago i booked via credit card a ticket for the wife to the south ; The day of the flight my wife rang me from Don Muang, she was standing at Nok Air desk for check in ; She told me that Nok Air hostess told her that she had to buy a new ticket, there "seemed to be some problem..." -- I asked the hostess in the phone what it was all about ? "NO PLOBLEM Mistel, youl wife must pay new ticket now and we pay back youl plevious ticket via youl cc, PLOMISED ! " In the last 6 months i 4 times sent an email to them via their site, asking for my money.... NEVER got any answer !!!!!! For me they can go to hel_l ! :o

Has anyone tried EVA Air

Eva Air?

They do a direct from Heathrow to BKK for £448 sterling - Thai Airways want £538.

I have flown Thai before and liked the crew service, but being someone who cannot sleep I really badly need a watch on demand enterment system so I can kill the flight with 4 movies and some old top gear episodes. Thai lacked this on my last flight with them in August, they had screens but if you did not watch from the start of the film you were screwed, it also seemed like it was playing of VHS so the picture was grainy.

UPDATE - I am going with Eva;

http://www.key2holidays.co.uk/thailand/con...?page=Eva%20Air

* 33" seat pitch / reclines 165.3 degrees

* 18.3" seat width

* 3 - 3 - 3 seat configuration

* 20kg per person luggage allowance

* Choice of Asian or Western cuisine

evaair.jpg

For an extra 300 pounds (all year) you can upgrade to Elite Class (Evergreen Deluxe Class);

* 38" seat pitch / reclines 165.3 degrees

* 18.5" seat width

* dedicated check in

* 2 - 4 - 2 seat configuration

* 110v power outlet

* noise cancelling headphones

* personal coat hooks

* 25kg per person luggage allowance

* Choice of Asian or Western cuisine - ugraded meal service

evaair2.jpg

I have been flying EVA since 1993 from the USA to Bkk via Taipei. You generally arrive in Bkk sometime around 1130 to 1330 depending on departure time in the USA. Very good airline, great service, and entertainment system. Seats in economy are a little tight and not the best of legroom. If you upgrade to Economy Deluxe it is well worth it. FWIW.......NWA has bigger seats and more legroom but it's all down hill from there. Plus you arrive around 2300 or later. EVA gets my vote as does China Aielines. Have only flown on Thai a few times. Sure it has great service but generally the price is much higher than other carriers. They also pulled out of my west coast city a few years ago so that would mean another flight (no cost) but not worth killing a few hours.

This is again one of these Thai Airlines tourist traps. Donot believe them guys, their fair prices will not change and their "service" will remain on the same "level" as before. I just checked their website for a trip to Frankfurt and the price is still far too high in comparison with all other airlines.

Air Berlin, EVA, China, BA, Finnair and Austrian have much better rates and services.

Some of you never miss a chance to trash Thai Air or anything Thai it seems? :o

I just checked their website for TG non-stop LAX-BKK for five possible dates April to November this coming year and they are all down. Perhaps not 50% but very competitive with far lesser airlines. As soon as my dates firm up in the next 30 days or so I'll be booking with them at their $1100-1300 price offered. they dropped the New York to BKK route last year but they still have the A340-500's flying out of LAX and I'll take advantage of it. Good on them for making a more competitive offer.

~WISteve

steve better watch the lax-bkk direct flight, return flight takes 3 days as you spend 16 hours in MNL, then 10 more in Japan, before going direct lax. not real convenient.

THAI cut domestic, international prices

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) is cutting domestic airfare in between 45-55 percent from market price while dipping ticket price for international routes up to 50 percent, aims to stimulate traveling in first quarter this year.

"This is the first time the airline offers such extra lower airfare," Chris Chantalitanon, director area for Thailand, Indochina and Myanmar , said Wednesday.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

Book your air tickets here::

http://travel.thaivisa.com

:D Still waiting for the so-called discounts to show on the Thai web page or here in my local travel agent in Crete. Haven't shown up yet (22 January 2009).

Finally went ahead and booked an economy return ticket Athens to Bangkok on Turkish airlines. Cost was 1,160 Euro including a 50 Euro local ticket on Aegean airlines from here in Crete to Athens and return (all taxes included). 3 hour layover in both directions. Cheaper fares available Athens to Bangkok but with 12 hour layovers in middle east. Direct flight on Thai international Athens to BKK, but about 400 Euro more. Will be may first trip back to BKK in almost a year.

Just for info: the 3 choices I have here from Athens to BKK are Olympic airlies (Greece), Thai International, or Turkish Airlines. Gulf air and Emirates run through Dubai or Bahrain, will long layovers there.

Will make notes on how Turkish air service/food/etc. is and post on forum when I get to BKK. leaving here 16 Feb.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

London to Bangkok

Flight 1 Friday, April 03, 2009 Departure: 12:30 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3 Arrival: 06:05 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG911 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Bangkok to London

Flight 1 Saturday, April 18, 2009 Departure: 01:10 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 07:15 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG910 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,
  • GBP = British Pound,
  • THB = Thai Baht

I did this same route at Christmas (with another carrier) for less than £1500.00 (Less than half price!)

Price Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (3,435.00 + 224.70) = 3,659.70 GBP (188,415.08 THB)

Today TG website seems to be quoting economy B38,560 Bangkok-London return, except Saturdays. Bkk-LAX return B36,615 - if you can get a seat. Seems pretty cheap to me. Also, domestic fares seem to have halved - eg, Phuket-Bkk return is mostly B3,630, Ubon 3,240, Chiang Mai 3,090 some days. Or am I missing something here?

Add the tax and London is almost 50,000 baht

Impressed, but whether it is a good sign, I don't know.

It just confirms in what a mess the world is, if an airlines takes those steps. Welcome to the deflation!

Well, i'm not really impressed.

Tickets westbound (from Europe) were always half the price of those bound to eastern destinations including SE-Asia. 2 times NY or 1 time BKK.... :o

Finally went ahead and booked an economy return ticket Athens to Bangkok on Turkish airlines. Cost was 1,160 Euro including a 50 Euro local ticket on Aegean airlines from here in Crete to Athens and return (all taxes included). 3 hour layover in both directions. Cheaper fares available Athens to Bangkok but with 12 hour layovers in middle east. Direct flight on Thai international Athens to BKK, but about 400 Euro more. Will be may first trip back to BKK in almost a year.

Just for info: the 3 choices I have here from Athens to BKK are Olympic airlies (Greece), Thai International, or Turkish Airlines. Gulf air and Emirates run through Dubai or Bahrain, will long layovers there.

Will make notes on how Turkish air service/food/etc. is and post on forum when I get to BKK. leaving here 16 Feb.

Seems to be not a very big deal; ticket from FRA to BKK non-stop about EUR 800,-; with delay in one of the UAE-States not much difference. Still expensive (up more than 100% in the last 10 years)... :D

Check the internet.

P.S. No complaint about my last long haul flights with THY (changed the plane in IST) but every trip a new bag on my bill.

PPS. Check the price for Codesharing flights; fly Thai with a ticket issued by another airline.

THese prices are no cheaper.... this is normal pricing that I can see.... no discount here !

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Plc (THAI) is cutting domestic airfare in between 45-55 percent from market price while dipping ticket price for international routes up to 50 percent, aims to stimulate traveling in first quarter this year.

"This is the first time the airline offers such extra lower airfare," Chris Chantalitanon, director area for Thailand, Indochina and Myanmar , said Wednesday.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

[MB] BUT THAT IS EXACTLY THE POINT.... IT WAS BEING PROMOTED AS A 50% DISCOUNT.. SO WHERE IS IT ???????????????????

This is again one of these Thai Airlines tourist traps. Donot believe them guys, their fair prices will not change and their "service" will remain on the same "level" as before. I just checked their website for a trip to Frankfurt and the price is still far too high in comparison with all other airlines.

Air Berlin, EVA, China, BA, Finnair and Austrian have much better rates and services.

Some of you never miss a chance to trash Thai Air or anything Thai it seems? :o

I just checked their website for TG non-stop LAX-BKK for five possible dates April to November this coming year and they are all down. Perhaps not 50% but very competitive with far lesser airlines. As soon as my dates firm up in the next 30 days or so I'll be booking with them at their $1100-1300 price offered. they dropped the New York to BKK route last year but they still have the A340-500's flying out of LAX and I'll take advantage of it. Good on them for making a more competitive offer.

~WISteve

steve better watch the lax-bkk direct flight, return flight takes 3 days as you spend 16 hours in MNL, then 10 more in Japan, before going direct lax. not real convenient.

My Thai teacher, who's brother works for Thai Air, says inside info reports Singapore Airlines has bought up 60% of Thai Air stock. Don't know the validity of the info........but could be some interesting times for Thai Air.

Have you tried yet. Prices as of this minute no difference

Darlaknight, I hope you have a good flight on Sunday, and hopefully you got yourself a good deal. Personally I would never fly again with this airline, too expensive I have been travelling with them since the early 80's and slowly I have watched them go down hill.

They are inefficient, greedy, and downright thick. Travelling business class with them is going back in time and I always fly Singapore/Malaysian/Japan/Korea, you get what you pay for.

You cna buy a bottle of champers in the so called duty free in heathrow and take it on board with you, doubt they will ket you open it, but keep it for when you arrive at your hotel. I would arrive at least 5 hrs before check in this will get you the seats you want surely!

There used to be a wonderful site until this week called Bangkok Scams, Ministry of communications has decided to remove the site.... remember no buy gems, tailors are a scam, (useless) beware of tuk tuk drivers, and beware of any english speaking thais that come upto you and start persuading you to go somewhere, Thais are shy people and wont approach you, that will be another scam!.... read Stickman's column on Thailand, eductae yourself and then you will know the ropes slightly

Have you tried yet. Prices as of this minute no difference

Darlaknight, I hope you have a good flight on Sunday, and hopefully you got yourself a good deal. Personally I would never fly again with this airline, too expensive I have been travelling with them since the early 80's and slowly I have watched them go down hill.

They are inefficient, greedy, and downright thick. Travelling business class with them is going back in time and I always fly Singapore/Malaysian/Japan/Korea, you get what you pay for.

You cna buy a bottle of champers in the so called duty free in heathrow and take it on board with you, doubt they will ket you open it, but keep it for when you arrive at your hotel. I would arrive at least 5 hrs before check in this will get you the seats you want surely!

There used to be a wonderful site until this week called Bangkok Scams, Ministry of communications has decided to remove the site.... remember no buy gems, tailors are a scam, (useless) beware of tuk tuk drivers, and beware of any english speaking thais that come upto you and start persuading you to go somewhere, Thais are shy people and wont approach you, that will be another scam!.... read Stickman's column on Thailand, eductae yourself and then you will know the ropes slightly

Thanks for that! Not looking forward to the flight though now with all the bad comments, but if their customer service is anything to go by I know not to expect too much!! Brother in law flew with them in November from Heathrow and said the plane was dirty and it looked liked they had not cleaned the plane from last trip, unfortunatley we had already booked at this point.

But I am not going to let the flight spoil our holiday we have worked too hard and saved alot for this!! Really looking forward to Bangkok and then off to Hua Hin.

Can't wait counting down !!

Thai Airways Cheaper Prices Thats a laugh My Ticket CDG Paris BKK Return Business Class This coming Wednesday 28/01/09 is THB 252,629.00 Over $2000 more than Air France only reason I am going this route and paying the price is that the connections are better gets me home in Phuket at 0850am instaed of 17.30pm and after a month in Angola the extra time in Paradise is worth the money but what a price for crappy old planes.

If you think thats bad Air France CDG to Luanda Angola Return Biz Class THB 350,000.00 and thats half the distance Paris-Bangkok and its full all the time have to get that booked weeks in advance. :o

I'm flying EVA in Feb. I paid £460 as a basic price, plus the tax, which is due on all airlines. I use them on most occasion when I need to fly to BKK.

I have used various airlines to get from UK to BKK in the past, both direct and one-stop flights.

The best for direct service LHR to BKK is Eva.

The best for service and price is Ethiad, Quatar and Emirates, depending on the length of stopover in the Gulf.

All three of these I would highly reccommend and choose between them only on the price when you book.

p.s. don't buy your Champagne in the so-called Duty Free. Go to Lidl or Aldi and buy good, genuine Champagne for less than £12.00 a bottle. You are not supposed to drink your own alcohol on board but if you are discrete and don't 'pop' the cork, you will be left alone.

My Thai teacher, who's brother works for Thai Air, says inside info reports Singapore Airlines has bought up 60% of Thai Air stock. Don't know the validity of the info........but could be some interesting times for Thai Air.

Thai is 51% government owned. Your above story seems very unlikely. Would have been publicly reported by now.

-- The Nation 2009-01-21

:D Still waiting for the so-called discounts to show on the Thai web page or here in my local travel agent in Crete. Haven't shown up yet (22 January 2009).

hi...

Outbound Flights (Athens, Greece - Bangkok, Thailand / Thursday, February, 12, 2009)

Airline carrier From To Flight No. Depart Arrive

Thai Airways International Ltd Athens Bangkok 947 16:00 February 13, 06:30

Return Flights (Bangkok, Thailand - Athens, Greece / Monday, February, 16, 2009)

Airline carrier From To Flight No. Depart Arrive

Thai Airways International Ltd Bangkok Athens 946 00:25 06:35

Ticket type: Electronic

Base price per 1 passenger excluding taxes : Adult - 295.00 EUR

Total ticket price for all passengers including taxes and service fee 510.54 EUR

Return via athens 510.54Euros - same day you want to fly. direct flight from athens with Thai.

amarka :D

p.s. don't buy your Champagne in the so-called Duty Free. Go to Lidl or Aldi and buy good, genuine Champagne for less than £12.00 a bottle. You are not supposed to drink your own alcohol on board but if you are discrete and don't 'pop' the cork, you will be left alone.

Indeed, my preferred champagne is Piper Heidsieck Rose Brut, decided to buy a bottle at CDG airport as carry on, :o bottle was more expensive in the CDG "duty free" than in the local mini market!!!