Where Is The Best Gai Yang?

brennanstimpy

Chiang Mai Land soi 3 as well as the same branch just before the Ram Hospital on the moat, next to the 7/11. Their chicken is 95 Baht. Great fare with superb spicy sauce.

You are referring to Rum Jai. They are very good but run out of gai yaang fairly early so get there before 19:00.

You don't use 'pen' in that way. ; 'to be' in Thai can't be used to link up an adverb with a noun like you would in English. :D

Less is more, when in doubt, throw it out. :o

Getting back to the question, it's so ubiquitous that I wouldn't drive all around town for this one, so I'll mention some that happen to be in convenient places for me personally, but if they're not on your particular way then I wouldn't truck around town for it.

Anyway:

- There is a Wichianburi style grilled chicken shack on the new Sankamphaeng Road in between the Outer and the Middle ring, on thde Northern side of the road. Another one I drive past a lot is just outside the Khamthiang Lotus, so on the Superhigheway near the road that eventually links up with the North-Eastern corner of the moat.

- Also great grilled chicken is at a small Issaan food shack on the Hang Dong road, on the side of the road going TOwards Chiang Mai not too far outside of Hang Dong. It's at the corner of a double road on both sides of a small irrigation canal that links the Hang Dong road with the Canal Road. (That's generally a great place, not just for grilled chicken but also for anything you'd have with it, like Som Tam and other Issaan dishes)

- There is a Wichianburi style grilled chicken shack on the new Sankamphaeng Road in between the Outer and the Middle ring, on thde Northern side of the road. Another one I drive past a lot is just outside the Khamthiang Lotus, so on the Superhigheway near the road that eventually links up with the North-Eastern corner of the moat.

could you give more specific directions on this place??? mentally challenged when you talk north,south,east and west. Love them google earth images :o

could you give more specific directions on this place??? mentally challenged when you talk north,south,east and west. Love them google earth images :o

So, toward the river or away from the river? That will determine which route I will take.

After some internal debate I decided to share this one....

Kai Yaang Ubon is fairly near Rajabaht University off Chang Phueak road- see Google Map. It's pretty wonderful. Excellent kai (choose breast, leg or thigh) and the best som tam around, so I'm told. I like mine hot off the grill so sometimes have to wait a minute or two. Free pak, free water, 5 baht sticky rice and a couple of portions of chicken make a great meal for less than 50 baht.

Open from 10.00 to 5.30 and packed out with students between 12 and 2. I wrote this place up about a year ago but still never see a farang in there.

Kai Yaang Ubon is fairly near Rajabaht University off Chang Phueak road- see Google Map. It's pretty wonderful. Excellent kai (choose breast, leg or thigh) and the best som tam around, so I'm told. I like mine hot off the grill so sometimes have to wait a minute or two. Free pak, free water, 5 baht sticky rice and a couple of portions of chicken make a great meal for less than 50 baht.

Open from 10.00 to 5.30 and packed out with students between 12 and 2. I wrote this place up about a year ago but still never see a farang in there.

I am headed there tomorrow to check it out. Thanks a lot, the map is great too.

The best gai yang I've ever had was in Uttaraditt. However, that's not much use to anyone in CM.

I went to the place near Suandok Gate, near the 7/11 and thought it was pretty average, and a bit overpriced to be honest.

The best gai yang I've had in CM was the gai yang I made myself. It's pretty easy...

1 chicken about 1 kg, cut into breasts and legs,

2 tbsp finely chopped mature ginger,

2 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass,

2 tbsp finely chopped coriander root,

2 tbsp pepper,

1 tsp sugar,

1 1/2 tsp curry powder,

2 tbsp light soy sauce,

Blend ginger, lemon grass, coriander root finely, toss well with chicken. Add soy sauce, sugar, pepper and curry powder, toss again. leave chicken to marinate in fridge for at least 6 hours.

Char-grill chicken over low heat until done and the skin turns lightly brown.

Enjoy!

The best gai yang I've ever had was in Uttaraditt. However, that's not much use to anyone in CM.

I went to the place near Suandok Gate, near the 7/11 and thought it was pretty average, and a bit overpriced to be honest.

The best gai yang I've had in CM was the gai yang I made myself. It's pretty easy...

1 chicken about 1 kg, cut into breasts and legs,

2 tbsp finely chopped mature ginger,

2 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass,

2 tbsp finely chopped coriander root,

2 tbsp pepper,

1 tsp sugar,

1 1/2 tsp curry powder,

2 tbsp light soy sauce,

Blend ginger, lemon grass, coriander root finely, toss well with chicken. Add soy sauce, sugar, pepper and curry powder, toss again. leave chicken to marinate in fridge for at least 6 hours.

Char-grill chicken over low heat until done and the skin turns lightly brown.

Enjoy!

Interesting. Omit curry powder and ginger, might serve :o

Gai Yang Pee Wee Pa

Ok, if you know either, secondhand weekend market, Payap divinity, or 3B noodles on Ratanagosin rd you will find this place (near Prince and Dara). Go to the end of the street at the T intersection that has no lights or signs and take a right. it is on the left hand side and next to the place where they cremate. (Don't worry, this is a fancy one made for higher ups, I have never heard of it being used yet, so no extra flavor on the chicken)

10b per leg or wing can't be beat!

Gai Yang Pee Wee Pa

Ok, if you know either, secondhand weekend market, Payap divinity, or 3B noodles on Ratanagosin rd you will find this place (near Prince and Dara). Go to the end of the street at the T intersection that has no lights or signs and take a right. it is on the left hand side and next to the place where they cremate. (Don't worry, this is a fancy one made for higher ups, I have never heard of it being used yet, so no extra flavor on the chicken)

I am aware of this place but it seems like it is hit and miss whether or not they decide to show up. Do you happen to know the schedule if there is one that I can't figure out?

I *think* this one is the one almost directly across the street from my office. If Mahidol Rd turns into new Sankamphaeng Rd, then it is. Driving East (away from Doi Suthep) on Mahidol Rd,after you pass the Siam Mandalay complex on the right hand side, the chicken place will be about 10-20 meters on the lefthand side.

Here is a map to Siam Mandalay office:

http://www.aware.co.th/mapcm.htm

I also vouch for this place. Fantastic chicken!

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

Gai Yang Pee Wee Pa

I am aware of this place but it seems like it is hit and miss whether or not they decide to show up. Do you happen to know the schedule if there is one that I can't figure out?

oh they show up, but they usually sellout before 1pm!

I went looking for this place today, and after a few wrong turns, and asking a few shops owners in the area I finally arrived at a restaurant called ส้มตำอุดร (som tam udon) which was shut (3pm). Is this the same place? It's a bit of a shack and it's got parking round the back. Had som tam and gai yang at a bright, modern place nearby, which was pretty crap to be honest!

Edited by keo

I went looking for this place today, and after a few wrong turns, and asking a few shops owners in the area I finally arrived at a restaurant called ส้มตำอุดร (som tam udon) which was shut (3pm). Is this the same place? It's a bit of a shack and it's got parking round the back. Had som tam and gai yang at a bright, modern place nearby, which was pretty crap to be honest!

That's the place. It's better than crap. I thought the som tam was good. The chicken was decent.

That's the place. It's better than crap. I thought the som tam was good. The chicken was decent.

Doesn't sound like the same place to me - there's no parking round the back of the one I posted about but they do have an arrangement with a place a few metres up the road past K Entertainment Plaza (a grand name for a couple of rows of lock-up shops). A couple of me-too joints have opened up nearby so maybe you got hijacked! I'll snap a picture next time I'm there and post it here.

Edited by Greenside

Doesn't sound like the same place to me - there's no parking round the back of the one I posted about but they do have an arrangement with a place a few metres up the road past K Entertainment Plaza (a grand name for a couple of rows of lock-up shops). A couple of me-too joints have opened up nearby so maybe you got hijacked! I'll snap a picture next time I'm there and post it here.

I was referring to the bright, modern place nearby.

Here's a picture of the place I recommended:

That's not the place I tried to go to. But it does have the same name - Som Tam Udon. Same chain or just coincidence?

Maybe I'll try again soon.

This is a family outfit so no chain (although I think the wife's sister has a restaurant somewhere else in town) - just someone being opportunist since you can't help but notice the pack of motorbikes parked up outside for three or four hours in the middle of the day.