Looking For Woodworking Tools In Bangkok

Gippy

I am setting up a little woodworking shop for a hobby but I am having some trouble sourcing a few things in Bangkok. I am looking for a decent Stanley hand plane, a woodworking vice to use as a front vice and some wood screws (with an un-threaded section at the top of the screw). I have searched in HomePro on Chaengwattana and 'Wood Street' but have only been able to find wooden block hand planes, no vices at all and no proper wood screws. Does anybody know where I can get or order those items from in Bangkok?

walk around worachak center for the vise, for the stanley hand plane no idea, but you could probably use a different brand with similiar results.

if you need a jigsaw i recommend bosch, very little vibration...black and decker will walk away on you, dewaults and milwaukees are here but expensive.

i havent been able to find proper wood screws here either.

Edited by Vato

Thanks Vato. A different brand of plane would be fine, I'm just looking for something a bit more modern than the planes made out of blocks of wood I have seen so far. is the Worachak center near or the same as the Khlong Tom market? I was planning a trip there in a few days.

Blocks of wood unfortunately are the standard in Thailand. Strange as it is even with all the other Stanley tools in Thailand they don't have the planes. The main have the electric planers - which are ok for large work but for precise and small you cannot beat the small Stanley block plane or a large plane for jointing.

Stainless Wood screws are available - well they are in HomePro and Tool Pro in Udon don't know about Bangkok.

I don't know where the closest Tool Pro is to Bangkok (I am sure there must be one!) but they have probably the best selection of tools in the main stores.

I purchased a US brand 'Master mechanic' Jack Plane and a smoothing plane from True Value in Pattaya, maybe there is one of these shops near to you. They were not expensive, B3000 and 2500 if I remember correctly.

Looks and feels exactly like my old Stanley planes I owned in UK.

Edited by Rimmer

Do you have an address for the True Value in Pattaya? I'm willing to drive down there and stop off at the Italian restaurant on Beach Road for some of their home brewed wheat beer on the way back, it's good stuff!

Do you have an address for the True Value in Pattaya? I'm willing to drive down there and stop off at the Italian restaurant on Beach Road for some of their home brewed wheat beer on the way back, it's good stuff!

It's right opposite Lotus on the south bound carriageway of Sukhumvit after the turning into Theppasit Road. If I get time tomorrow I'll swing by there and see if they still got stock.

There is also a True Value store in Chonburi on the same side of the road as Makro.

It's right opposite Lotus on the south bound carriageway of Sukhumvit after the turning into Theppasit Road. If I get time tomorrow I'll swing by there and see if they still got stock.

There is also a True Value store in Chonburi on the same side of the road as Makro.

That would be great, thanks!

Checked this morning, they have stock of Master Mechanic in both the usual sizes

9" (smoothing plane) for B2163

14" (Jack) plane for B2865

I have them both and very useful they are too :o

After tracking down the True Value website I found that they have a branch in Nonthaburi. I paid them a visit today and picked up a smoothing plane, trimming plane and a few other things while I was there. They have a good stock of quality tools, it's the first place I have seen where it's possible to spend more than 40 baht on a 3 inch paint brush. They even stock apple, maple and hickory smoking chips for your BBQ!

• 2 weeks later...

I brought a small stanley block plane from UK and plan to bring as much as I can on future trips.

I havent seen any diamond sharpening stones or good chisels here either. I bought an erwin saw at homepro but was about 3 times the price.

I think I will also bring a load of screws next time, I really miss "Screw Tites". Wish they had ScrewFix here.

Would love to have my Festool's here too.

Sorry can't really help with finding tools in Thailand but would be happy to hear if anyone can.

Since were on the subject does anyone know where to find spindle moulders, thicknessers, planers, bandsaws, table saws etc I havent seen them anywhere. I have seen the makita thicknesser and Ryobi at Homepro but im not sure if they would last very long passing the hard woods around here.

Thanks

Thanks for the link Gippy, might have to drop in there and have a browse. Does Taiwan or China make decent tools? I'm use to German and British mainly, or Japanese for small hand held.

What would it cost to ship in machines from UK I wonder? There are so many good old machines selling dirt cheap, thanks to safety regs making them unfit for comercial businesses.

$2600 would it be a nice machine or what?

I was wondering if there would be any money to be made running off mouldings and planning and thicknessing timber here, but im guessing probably not?

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the link Gippy, might have to drop in there and have a browse. Does Taiwan or China make decent tools? I'm use to German and British mainly, or Japanese for small hand held.

What would it cost to ship in machines from UK I wonder? There are so many good old machines selling dirt cheap, thanks to safety regs making them unfit for comercial businesses.

$2600 would it be a nice machine or what?

I was wondering if there would be any money to be made running off mouldings and planning and thicknessing timber here, but im guessing probably not?

I live in Laos and have put together a decent wood shop. I do most of my shopping at ToolPro in Udon but their selection has gone minimal in the last 2 years. AND a lot of their tools are (I believe) a cheaper line of the name brand tools found in the US. I bought a Black and Decker drill and it fell apart in weeks. I too found the price of a table saw outrageous so I built my own. I'm now in the States and like someone else mentioned, good tools are being given away free here. I just picked up a Craftsman 10 inch table saw w/ NEW 1 HP motor for free! I've got a nice collection of hand tools and power tools that I'd like to put in a container and bring over w/ me but Customs is gonna want a chunk of change. If someone has a solution to THAT problem, I'd be happy to bring over even more tools for those of you who appreciate them.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went to http://www.kennedythailand.com/ today which looked great on the website with all the stuff I was hoping to see and be able to buy. Lots of wood working stuff too. just have a look at eh website.

Arrived there. Its in China Town and on the same street there are several other tool shops.

Big disappointment though because 90% of the stuff I saw on the website and wrote down to buy was "not in stock". Especially the wood working stuff.

Now the only place I havent tried yet is True Value. Was planning on going to the Nonthaburi branch. Now did anybody o there before? What do they offer? Is it just like Home Pro (crappy) or do they have other things. Anybody can report on what products you can get here?

Until now I wasnt even able to find a Japan saw here in Thailand. Does anybody know where to get one? Any other shops with pro tools for wood working?

Now the only place I havent tried yet is True Value. Was planning on going to the Nonthaburi branch. Now did anybody o there before? What do they offer? Is it just like Home Pro (crappy) or do they have other things. Anybody can report on what products you can get here?

For me True Value Nonthaburi is a godsend (I live nearby). They have lots of really useful, quality tools. The only problem is that the store is a little neglected in certain areas. Based on the appearance you might think that they are going out of business, but I think its because they are currently concentrating on expanding into "lifestyle malls". They opened a small store at K-Village and I think they are going to open another shop somewhere on sukhumvit soon.

I am always pleasantly surprised with the tools I've come across there. The prices are what you would expect for imported items, but not exorbitant. The sales people are very helpful, they don't swarm like at homepro and the company seems genuinely interested in the customer (I actually got a questionnaire from them in the mail the other day).

Tell me what you need and I can let you know if it's there.

Actually, if their website is to be believed, it looks like True Value has all the clamps I will need. I shall pop into the K Village Branch on my way home tonight.

K-village has a pretty limited selection in terms of tools. From what I recall it's kinda BBQ/Patio decor focused with some light DIY. But give it a shot.

Actually, if their website is to be believed, it looks like True Value has all the clamps I will need. I shall pop into the K Village Branch on my way home tonight.

K-village has a pretty limited selection in terms of tools. From what I recall it's kinda BBQ/Patio decor focused with some light DIY. But give it a shot.

Confirmed. Little in the way of tools, although they did have a reasonable selection of clamps. When asked about woodworking tools, the salespeople said that the Nonthaburi store has much more in the way of tools. I did notice a plane going for two thousand three hundred and something though.

Anyone have any idea where I can buy some spring (hand) clamps, C (G) clamps and F bar clamps. Chinese made would be fine as I need a load and expensive imports are unnecessary.

I know you're looking for quantity not quality right now. But just for general reference on this thread I noticed at a recent trade show that Krasstec carries Bessey Clamps.

^Thanks for the information. It is certainly a lot more convenient for me than Nonthaburi. I will check it out in a few months. I need to move into my new house before I start to replenish my tool box and add to it.

BTW you don't happen to know where I can buy marine ply in Bangkok do you. I have searched and searched and only found one place that sells the real stuff. Most places only had waterproof ply, which is not suitable for my project.

thanks for the offwer to look at True Value. I actually made the trip down there and found almost all that I needed. Definitely better quality stuff than for example at Home Pro.

The True Value at K Village and other malls is nothing compared to the real true Value. I mean they do not even have tools, its just gardening and BBQ stuff, dog food...sth like that.

• 1 month later...

hey gang,

I appreciate Homepro, but happy to find there are competitive alternatives other than Klawng Tawm. I'm looking for a few things I could not find at Homepro and wondering if anyone has seen them at True Value: countersink drill bits; I seen the mitre boxes listed on the website, do they really have them in stock, b/c it must have been pretty entertaining to watch me try and explain what a mitre box is to the guys at Homepro, without luck (yeah yeah I know I could make one, but I don't have any odds and ends atm, which I hope to soon remedy, and I am kind of lazy if I can find one relatively cheaply enough); I am soon to buy a Bosch angle grinder with variable speed option (I think it was 2800 Baht) and I am also looking for a beefier Bosch hammer drill than I have now (which I got at Klawng Tawng and still works fine, but I think heats up easy; I already had to replace the electric cord with some heavier duty wiring b/c the wire insulation melted on while trying to drill a couple of holes for the missus in a clay plant pot; dman those things are hard to drill!)

I also would like a planer for making wood joints, which I have yet to see at Homepro (I never bother asking for that one), so I am happy to hear True Value carries a couple/few types.

I live in Lad Prao and have bought wood (for a patio gazebo I built for the missus) at the local wood vendor on PahonYothin, bud GD! if quite a few of the lengths were not split. Also it would be great to find some pressure treated stuff cause I hate staining. Does anyone know where to get any pressure treated wood, and is it crazy expensive? I have a swing I have been putting off building b/c I just hate to sand and stain. Homepro has some nice finished wood, but it seems a bit pricy to me.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Found this recently, good selection of tools and prices are reasonable. Website is all in Thai but all the products are shown with photos

www.thaicarpenter.com

I got one of these planes, the 9". The sight doesn't advertise any brand name, but it is a knockoff Stanley No 4 for 850 baht. It even has No 4 cast onto the top front behind the knob. It's obviously a knockoff, though, because the handle and knob are molded plastic, the machining is imprecise, the blade doesn't hold an edge very well, and it is way to cheap to be the real thing. As shipped it is entirely useless except as a paperweight. I had no problem fixing it up using the sandpaper glued to flat ceramic tile method on both shoe and blade, and it is usable, but it is no Stanley. I'm tempted to just get a quality replacement blade. I'd say it's just one step up from the wooden planes they sell all over Thailand. Also, to use thaicarpenter, you have to get your girlfriend to phone in your order in Thai and pay by transferring the money to their Thai bank account before they ship.

They are honest, but it isn't very convenient unless you have a Thai girlfriend. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

So if it's so hard to find good tools here, where do the Thai builders source theirs? I know most of the buildings are concrete, but there are places building those replica Thai houses of wood, and there are plenty of wooden moulded type doors and windows, or are they just made in huge factories?