Cheap Charlie's Bar Soi 11 Rant

thaidiver

Saw CC for the first time last week .It had many people ,95% Farang in posing stance .Standing and sipping as if they were at a cocktail party .Saw nothing that would make me stay for a drink .

ive seen that place too , my first thought was it reminded me of one of those english town centre street corners , often near to the bus station where you get all the blue faced dossers and winos lurching around and chugging it down.

amazed to see so many people there.

awful place though.

CC has never been particularly cheap. It's still a farang bar, and therefore more expensive than cheap Thai bars. There's a backpacker guesthouse right next door to it, and the place attracts lots of local farang who don't want to go to girlie bars, but also do not want to go to a similar Thai place, so it's not going to be especially cheap, but not expensive either. If you really want cheap beer, and not from 7-11, just go down to your local khao tom restaurant or karaoke bar and get it for 40 or 50 baht for a large bottle. Or even some places in Khao San.

Saw CC for the first time last week .It had many people ,95% Farang in posing stance .Standing and sipping as if they were at a cocktail party .Saw nothing that would make me stay for a drink .

ive seen that place too , my first thought was it reminded me of one of those english town centre street corners , often near to the bus station where you get all the blue faced dossers and winos lurching around and chugging it down.

amazed to see so many people there.

awful place though.

So true :o:D

Passed there many times, and it amazes me why there are so many people drinking there. No space, no air, basically a crap hole.

The only thing I can think of is that the customers are first timers in Bangkok and are attracted to the name 'Cheap' :D

The only thing I can think of is that the customers are first timers in Bangkok and are attracted to the name 'Cheap' :D

I can't stand the place either, but it actually has a huge and loyal following. Many, many BKK long termers go there and I can't tell you how many times I've said "Well, where are you going after CC's? OK, I'll meet you there. :o "

I can't stand the place either, but it actually has a huge and loyal following. Many, many BKK long termers go there and I can't tell you how many times I've said "Well, where are you going after CC's? OK, I'll meet you there. :o "

Convenient meeting-point, exactly! I had a few beers yesterday, while waiting for some friends. I haven't been there for ages but I was able to recognize some regular faces from years ago.

If someone particularly likes Cheap Charlies, more power to you, but I have to agree with the above posters that 'cheap' is effectively stricken from the name. Spice Girls in Cowboy offers Chang bottles for 40 bt until 8:30, free nam khaeng, and you can order six+ beers at 8:29 and they don't care. I'm not even attracted to Thai women (no offence, just not my thing), but I still go there for the deal! I always sit outside. Wouldn't it be funny if 'normal' expats (as opposed to sexpats) took over a raunchy bar in Cowboy to capitalize on the Happy Hour?

Edited by Genghis

If someone particularly likes Cheap Charlies, more power to you, but I have to agree with the above posters that 'cheap' is effectively stricken from the name. Spice Girls in Cowboy offers Chang bottles for 40 bt until 8:30, free nam khaeng, and you can order six+ beers at 8:29 and they don't care. I'm not even attracted to Thai women (no offence, just not my thing), but I still go there for the deal! I always sit outside. Wouldn't it be funny if 'normal' expats (as opposed to sexpats) took over a raunchy bar in Cowboy to capitalize on the Happy Hour?

Why not try the lady boy bar down the road.

at 40 baht a bottle, not much to capitalise on unless 10 baht a bottle profit is your idea of lucrative business :o