Tell Me About Cm.

NorThai

read all the thaivisa topics . thailand is not for everyone. you can enjoy it here but you can never integrate with the thais , you will always be a farang - foreigner and be treated differently. it is not as cheap as the thai hospitality agencies suggest. costs in TOTAL are same as uk, somethings are cheaper but overall not

It appears to me dinthailand that you are either blind or totally misinformed.

cheaper private schooling

no road tax, car insurance cheaper. you live in cloud cookoo land!"

I am paying 1400USD per semester for my daughter in kindegarten .....blows me and my budget away

The Shan light breaking myth is busted, false, retracted even by Mr. Drummond. The throat slashing is done by every ethnic group, including yours and mine. But it was totally bizarre, and really need not be mentioned again or often.

Funny thing is that I met only met a few Houston cops, and they were really nice (and they were all scared shitless of IRS agents!). Generally, however, they are more lawless than Chiang Mai police.

We are still thinking about moving to CM, we have also consider Kanchanaburi, and still open for that if we have some good offer.

But tell me why you stay in CM, and not in Koh Samui or some other place?

What is it that make you stay? Nightlife? Cheep? Nature? Whether?

Please. convince me to come and stay CM :o

Having spent a lot of time in Kanchanburi I would say it is no contest. Chiang Mai is way better. The weather is cooler here for falongs and you can actually get to sleep at night without using the air-con in the winter months (November to April).

There is MUCH more to do in Chiang Mai than there is in Kanchanaburi, and you are more likely to find other falongs rather than only Thais like most of the province of Kanchanaburi. Only in the town of Kanchanaburi do you find English speaking people. Go a little out of town and you better know some Thai language.

The Mount Erawan waterfalls is a special place near Kanchanaburi, but we have pretty waterfalls not too distant from Chiang Mai also. Both Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi have large rivers nearby with boat tours available. The Ping River National park south of Chiang Mai is a real special place if you take time to explore it like I have. My friend in Chiang Mai offers kayak tours and fishing trips to more remote reservoirs within a days driving distance of Chiang Mai. That will give you a sense of what the bush country of Thailand is like.

There is no comparison between the night life of Chiang Mai and the night life of Kanchanaburi. Chiang Mai is much better.

From what I've been able to determine, housing and hotels are cheaper in Chiang Mai than most other cities in Thailand... or at least when you compare what you get for the same price. I rent a nice big room in a Chiang Mai hotel just outside the city, and it costs me under 6000 baht per month. I have a TV, a fridge and a balcony over looking a small pond. It is all that I need. There is good security and the Thai speaking managers are friendly.

Because I enjoy Thai food I can eat in cafes for about 35 baht per meal. If I want to "live it up" there are several places offering a western meal for under 150 baht. It is cheaper than staying home in Canada and cooking for myself... and I'm a good cook.