Thailand - Permanent Residence

ASHTONITE

I found this information... I was wondering if anyone actually obtained this... and can give me any pointers.

<h2 id="permanent">Permanent residence</h2> This is granted to people who have been living here for more than five years or have a wife and family to support, however the one-off fee of 195,000 baht (95,000 baht if you’re married to a Thai) is rather ridiculous and renders this option largely unreasonable to most. In addition, you have to show you have an income of at least 40,000 baht per month and a bank balance of 400,000 baht, not to mention a mountain of paper work. It does however save you the ongoing hassle of renewing your work permit of spousal visa each year - which isn't straightforward we might add. However only a few are given out per year.

I found this information... I was wondering if anyone actually obtained this... and can give me any pointers.

<h2 id="permanent">Permanent residence</h2> This is granted to people who have been living here for more than five years or have a wife and family to support, however the one-off fee of 195,000 baht (95,000 baht if you're married to a Thai) is rather ridiculous and renders this option largely unreasonable to most. In addition, you have to show you have an income of at least 40,000 baht per month and a bank balance of 400,000 baht, not to mention a mountain of paper work. It does however save you the ongoing hassle of renewing your work permit of spousal visa each year - which isn't straightforward we might add. However only a few are given out per year.

do the math on it

lowest one off fee is 95000, annual fee to renew visan is 1900

so 95000/1900 is 50 years

if you are 20 and married a thai now you would gain 1900 baht if you lived till you were 71

if you are 50 breakeven is when you are 101

There is no annual fee. If you wish to leave the country, there is a an application fee for a return entry visa plus the visa charge. There is also a fee to have the Alien Book endorsed every 5 years.

There is no annual fee. If you wish to leave the country, there is a an application fee for a return entry visa plus the visa charge. There is also a fee to have the Alien Book endorsed every 5 years.

I'm struggling a bit on this "if you have PR why do you need a visa ??"

I'm struggling a bit on this "if you have PR why do you need a visa ??"

To keep the PR valid, you have to have a permit to leave the country. If you are not stamped back in again within 12 months the PR automatically lapses. I should probably have used the word "permit" rather than "visa".

Thanks everyone... a lot of good information. Is being able to apply for Citizenship in 5 years worth going through this process for PR? Are there any other advantages that you may be aware of by having PR?

I understand that it is very difficult to get Thai Citizenship... so it looks like PR process might actually help. And is it best to speak Thai before going through this process?

Regards,