New Minibus Fares Set

Kerryd

New minibus fares set

Sawittree Namwiwatsuk

Pattaya City will more stringently control new fares charged by baht bus drivers after receiving complaints from users about overcharging.

On January 13 at Pattaya City Hall, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh gave an interview to the media regarding new minibus fares in the city.

The deputy mayor said the 1337 Pattaya City Call Center has received complaints of unfair bus fares. Due to this, the city has requested that the Chonburi Transport Office provide a definitive fare list for minibuses.

This is being announced to the public and Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative will charge their fares accordingly.

The minimum minibus fare set by the Chonburi Office for the city is currently 10 baht. But as gas prices continue to drop, a corresponding fare reduction should be considered, the deputy mayor said. (my bolding/underlining)

If users are charged the wrong fares by the cooperative, they can call the 1337 Pattaya City Call Center to report it.

Disciplinary action can then be taken against offending drivers, such as fines and suspension of the driver’s licenses.

Official minibus fares listed by the Chonburi Transport Office are:

The Charoenrat Pattana-Najomtien Village route:

Charoenrat Pattana-Nipa Lodge Hotel 8 baht

Charoenrat Pattana -Asia Hotel 21 baht

Charoenrat Pattana-Soi Chaiyapruk 29 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Pattaya Market 8 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Asia Hotel 14 baht

Nipa Lodge Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 22 baht

The Pattaya Market -Soi Chaiyapruk 15 baht

Asia Hotel-Soi Chaiyapruk 8 baht

The around Pattaya route:

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

From the beginning of South Pattaya-Nipa Lodge (North Pattaya) 10 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya) 8 baht

From Banglamung Plaza-beginning of South Pattaya 10 baht

From Nipa Lodge junction (North Pattaya)-Banglamung Plaza 8 baht

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya:

North Pattaya-Central Pattaya Road Intersection 8 baht

North Pattaya-Somprasong Plaza 11 baht

North Pattaya-Wat Bunkanjanaram 23 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Somprasong Plaza 8 baht

Central Pattaya Road Intersection-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 17 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Wat Bunkanjanaram 8 baht

Somprasong Plaza-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 12 baht

Wat Bunkanjanaram-Central Pattaya T-Intersection 8 baht

For more fare information please contact the Pattaya Information Desk at 038-253-131-32 or

the Pattaya City Call Center at 1337

Pattaya Mail - Vol. XVII No. 4

Well now we have the OFFICIAL word...minimum fare is TEN BAHT! (Funny how their own list has some fares at 8 baht, however.) Now can we please not have any more letters to the local press and posts on TV about it being 5 baht and that is all anybody should be paying.

Feel sorry for the Thais as those are really high fares considering the income many make and the fact that there is no transfer system so to get someplace may require 2-3 different rides at B 10 each (and return as well).

2 different systems: The Songteows that cruise the streets on a regular route are in the 10 baht system; the ones that wait for customers at fixed points like the supermarkets and shopping centers are for hire/charter to a unique destination and are not part of the 10 baht tariff rate.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

2 different systems: The Songteows that run a cruise the streets on a regular route are in the 10 baht system; the ones that wait for customers at fixed points like the supermarkets and shopping centers are for hire/charter to a unique destination and are not part of the 10 baht tarriff rate.

Huh? Those rates tend to start at about 150 baht! I have to pay 200 baht from Tesco Lotus Suk. to Jomtien and the rates are POSTED! I am sorry, I think you are wrong. The rates in the OP are wildly lower than 150 to 250 baht. Now those trucks ARE a different system, that's for sure.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, if they are serious, they need to put LEGIBLE maps in Thai and English ON THE BUSES so that people can even begin to understand what they are saying. I don't understand that list. Do you think a TOURIST would? THIS IS A JOKE!

They only have to make a list in Thai,in the UK they make a list in english,there are no thailist in the uk busses.

Yes, if they are serious, they need to put LEGIBLE maps in Thai and English ON THE BUSES so that people can even begin to understand what they are saying. I don't understand that list. Do you think a TOURIST would? THIS IS A JOKE!

They only have to make a list in Thai,in the UK they make a list in english,there are no thailist in the uk busses.

We need a Thai list to print out and show the drivers when they demand 20 baht etc.

Honestly, I don't think this list is serious. Its so complicated, people don't understand it, and it will not be posted in buses. its some kind of silly game they are playing. I wonder if they actually believe it is going to change anything on the street. I don't!

Remember when the new Pattaya taxi "meters" which have large meter signs and working meters started? There were press releases saying the meter rates would be set at comparable levels to Bangkok taxi meters. Which is about as relevant as this official list, considering the Pattaya taxi "meters" do not use the meters.

Edited by Jingthing

They only have to make a list in Thai, in the UK they make a list in english, there are no thai list in the uk busses.

Your right, not Thai, but in my home town, it is also in Urdu (as the second most common language) and several other lauguages, plus on their Bus website as well .....

Back to PATTAYA - This is a INTERNATIONAL TOURIST DESTINATION, so the chosen langauge of English is known by most international visitors (except the French :o )

BMA (Bangkok City) have ordered all buses to have both Thai and English destinations on the bus.

NOW WHAT ABOUT those 30 Blue / Yellow (BKK style) Meter taxis you see parked around Pattaya? They REFUSE to switch the meter on! Everywhere you see them driving WITH PASSENGERS, the meter lamp is ON (meaning "for hire")

I asked to go from The Avenue to the Cholchan and was quoted 300 Baht. I said "Meter" "Not do" was the reply. I crossed the road, took a blue bus, changed to a white one at Naklua and got there for 30 Baht and took less that 30 minutes.

I am still waiting for a better explanation of the TWO baht bus fare systems.

True indeed, the Pattaya taxi meters are a scandal.

QUOTE (MeetJohnDoe @ 2009-01-25 00:12:41) post_snapback.gif2 different systems: The Songteows that run a cruise the streets on a regular route are in the 10 baht system; the ones that wait for customers at fixed points like the supermarkets and shopping centers are for hire/charter to a unique destination and are not part of the 10 baht tarriff rate.

He explaned all! The blue Songteows or can be vans waiting for customers, the do not cruise. You have to pay a higher price as its a "special ride", you do not jump on a cruising taxi.

QUOTE (MeetJohnDoe @ 2009-01-25 00:12:41) post_snapback.gif2 different systems: The Songteows that run a cruise the streets on a regular route are in the 10 baht system; the ones that wait for customers at fixed points like the supermarkets and shopping centers are for hire/charter to a unique destination and are not part of the 10 baht tarriff rate.

He explaned all! The blue Songteows or can be vans waiting for customers, the do not cruise. You have to pay a higher price as its a "special ride", you do not jump on a cruising taxi.

No, this is not explained. Look at the posted fares for the truck taxis at a place like Tesco Lotus. The fares are 150 baht up! The posted fares in the OP are much are MUCH lower (29 baht is the MAXIMUM in the OP). They cannot possibly be talking about the same service. The drivers I sometimes use from Tesco who I must pay a posted fare of 200 baht (a total rip off BTW) would have a riot if they were forced to accept 20 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

No, this is not explained. Look at the posted fares for the truck taxis at a place like Tesco Lotus. The fares are 150 baht up! The posted fares in the OP are much are MUCH lower (29 baht is the MAXIMUM in the OP). They cannot possibly be talking about the same service. The drivers I sometimes use from Tesco who I must pay a posted fare of 200 baht (a total rip off BTW) would have a riot if they were forced to accept 20 baht.

No, its NOT the same service. The posted fares from 8 B. to 29 B. are only valid vor CRUISING blue "truck" taxis in the street.

The posted fares at the wall from 150 B, up in for example TESCO are a different service. Its a special ride service. it has nothing to do with the rates from 8 to 29 B. However you can easily stop a crusing taxi at the Tesco North and pay the much lower far, in cas you have not much baggage to carry.

Another poster said this:

2 different systems: The Songteows that cruise the streets on a regular route are in the 10 baht system; the ones that wait for customers at fixed points like the supermarkets and shopping centers are for hire/charter to a unique destination and are not part of the 10 baht tariff rate.

And I found that not true as I explained.

Obviously cruising buses are on the bus system or you can stop them a turn them into a special charter system if you wish.

This doesn't change the absurdity of the OP posting. Will it be posted in the bus trucks with a map so people know the correct fare? What do you think? Nothing has changed.

Edited by Jingthing

I have to agree with most this new system and or list is confusing and unlikely to do more than cause greater confusion. (It has already). I must confess I avoid riding the baht busses at all costs. I either drive myself and or call my "regular" motor bike taxi driver. I will gladly pay him more money than it is worth just to get somewhere safely. I find the baht busses more trouble than they are worth IMHO.

I have to agree with most this new system and or list is confusing and unlikely to do more than cause greater confusion. (It has already). I must confess I avoid riding the baht busses at all costs. I either drive myself and or call my "regular" motor bike taxi driver. I will gladly pay him more money than it is worth just to get somewhere safely. I find the baht busses more trouble than they are worth IMHO.

I avoid the baht busses also when I can, I walk if I have not much to carry, Pattaya is not that big, it just takes more time to walk. And its a good excercise.

Jingthing @ 2009-01-25 10:00:37

No, its NOT the same service. The posted fares from 8 B. to 29 B. are only valid vor CRUISING blue "truck" taxis in the street.

The posted fares at the wall from 150 B, up in for example TESCO are a different service. Its a special ride service. it has nothing to do with the rates from 8 to 29 B. However you can easily stop a crusing taxi at the Tesco North and pay the much lower far, in cas you have not much baggage to carry.

The guy asking the question is getting confused. They may both use converted pick-ups, but not the "Same Company" runng the busineses.

The Blue Buses are all members of the Baht Bus Consortium, whose fares are "Controlled :o " by the Land Transportation Office (They wish :D ) - Just like Taxis in your home country, controlled by your City Hall. The White busses on Sukhumvit are similar.

The "Pick-up buses" at the shopping precincts like Tesco, Big C and Carrefour are Private operators (Maybe not even licenced, knowing Pattaya) and are the same as "Mini-cabs" in you home country. They are the Hustle Guys in most countries, some good and some bad.

Would it not be sensible?

• For the powers that be to commission a map similar to the other maps that are frequently distributed to hotels and other places free of charge paid for with adverts, these maps should detail routes, pricing structure, who to complain to in the event of over charging, in many languages and a large notice in Thai which you can wave at the drive to explain you “pay bus fare not private charter”.
  • To have a structured route system with controls on numbers of buses plying each route at any given time.
  • To provide each driver with a set of spiral bound cards which detail their route number + destination in Thai and English which would be placed in the passengers side of the windshield, these could be paid by sponsorship (a different sponsor who normally would have association with a particular route whose logo is also used to identify the route).
  • Have effective policing for Bath Buses.

But this won't happen because T.I.T. (This Is Thailand).

The guy asking the question is getting confused. They may both use converted pick-ups, but not the "Same Company" runng the busineses.

!!!!

Yes, I have always known that the same company does not control the baht buses and also the trucks that sit at places like Tesco waiting for high end charter fares. It was another poster who suggested the OP list was about these two systems, which it obviously is not.

In any case, it seems most people agree with me that this announcement from city hall is as toothless as toothless gets. You have to wonder what their real agenda is when they come up with these show announcements that they must know will change nothing on the streets.

Edited by Jingthing

It will change things on the streets the Baht bus mafia drivers will now over charge you more times than before because you will not know the real price of your bus ride, it opens the door for them to cheat you even more with no chance of getting any change. Why don't they just scrap this system all together and set one bus fare for all with the Baht buses fitted with an exact money metal slide box that you just drop your exact fare into there would be no need for change or cheating from the driver but we all know this will not happen TIT. I for one will keep well away from this form of transport its just not worth the trouble.

Regards

Scotsman

have a walk. i do and enjoy

That's helpful. How about all the baht bus riders walk when all the car and moto drivers walk as well?

If you walk everywhere you need to go in this town, you aren't going very far or very often. It would also be dangerous as in many places there are no sidewalks, big holes in the path, and motos driving right at you on the paths that do exist.

Edited by Jingthing

It is not only the fare that you have to contend with.

Last night at about 2:00am, I came out of Marine Plaza to Thapraya Road (Road to Jomtien), wanting to go to Second Road. There were 6-7 Baht busses lined up, but I did not speak to them, as they was silly private hire money. Flagged down a passing empty Baht Bus. It passes by without stopping. Then another and another. About 9 passed by empty - They slowed but then drove off - maybe I did not look like a tourist (Ironed shirt, Long trousers, combed hair, etc).

Then one did stop and I got one. Took me to where I wanted to go for 10 Baht (OK, I pay 10 Baht, that's my decision to pay 10 Baht). Our Baht bus filled to capacity. Other were passing empty.

On the way, we passed maybe another 15-20 parked taxis on Second Road at Pattaya Tai junction. (one night I counted TWENTY-FOUR!)

When the Diesel went up to 36 Baht, they stopped cruising for customers, as it was too costly. Now diesel is down to 18.1 Baht, they still park-up and no longer cruise for customers.

On Third Road (on the official Route), getting a Baht bus is now like pulling hens teeth!