True Pvr Freezing

daveb1

Hi we have had our True PVR for about 2 months now and its great except it keeps freezing on certain recordings making them unwatchable and its very annoying we had the signal checked and its at 100% so its not that. Anyone else solved this problem?

cheers

I have a new PVR but not from True.

I had one playback freeze on me.

When I went to play it back again, it was fine.

That says that it was not the data corruption on the disc.

So I think what happened was there was a power glitch [temporary loss of AC power]

that the machine could not handle. The PVR is really a computer focussed on media

storage and playback so the solution may be to buy a Uninterruptible Power Source [ UPS ].

Power in my area of Bangkok is very good. But other areas of Thailand are not so lucky.

To be fair to Thailand I have a friend in San Francisco and her business computers need UPS protection

or they will all crash 3 to 4 times a day.

So I will wait to see if this happens again before getting an UPS.

I would also like to talk to the techs at a PVR company to see

it others have needed to do this.

Cheers

P.S.

Anyone know if the True service is available or even possible if you did not

buy the PVR from them. I have to program BOTH the PVR and the cable box

for every program I want to record. Very tedious it is.

Edited by paulfr

I don't know what PVR is but I am getting peed off with TRUE VISIONS tv reception. Try to watch anything and it freezes up for varying lengths of time. Off for ten minutes to an hour and on again for 15 seconds. Rang them but when the man came to look naturally it worked perfectly. Anyone had the same problem? Not going to pay the bill until they fix it.

• 1 month later...

I set a very important program to record last night. I woke up today to find it "unrecordable." It happens a significant percentage of the time, maybe about 25%. I called about this a while ago and the lady "reset my profile." For a few weeks, everything recorded. Now it is back to being "unrecordable" sometimes. She also advised me to plug and unplug. What else can I do? I advise you NOT to get the Truevisions PVR. Sometimes I have 5 things set to record and the next day all 5 recorded as "unrecordable." It is so disappointing. An equally annoying thing is when I watch a few minutes of a recorded program and it freezes at that point. The Truevisions PVR is not reliable at all. Also, can anyone tell me why some of "my schedules" appear in red? See attached jpg.

post-9261-1236410372_thumb.jpg

Demand that they replace the unit.

Do not pay your bill until they do.

If you cannot record reliably, what good is the service at all ?

I would bring it right to the office and demand a new unit.

Let us know how it goes.

==============

Update;

My PVR not coordinated with True has been pretty good with

only a freeze on playback every couple of weeks.

Recording is reliable.

The only drawback is I must set BOTH the cable box AND the

PVR for each recording.

But not having to use tapes and have it all electronic is wonderful.

Also playing downloaded avi movies from my usb flash drive so family can all

watch without a DVD is nice too.

I had TIVO in the US back in 2000 and it worked flawlessly.

Outstanding engineering.

Wish Thailand could get it right but looks like we will

need to wait a while before they reach 1st world standards

Sigh ...

Edited by paulfr

I set a very important program to record last night. I woke up today to find it "unrecordable." It happens a significant percentage of the time, maybe about 25%. I called about this a while ago and the lady "reset my profile." For a few weeks, everything recorded. Now it is back to being "unrecordable" sometimes. She also advised me to plug and unplug. What else can I do? I advise you NOT to get the Truevisions PVR. Sometimes I have 5 things set to record and the next day all 5 recorded as "unrecordable." It is so disappointing. An equally annoying thing is when I watch a few minutes of a recorded program and it freezes at that point. The Truevisions PVR is not reliable at all. Also, can anyone tell me why some of "my schedules" appear in red? See attached jpg.

Been almost a year, never had a problem. :o

You are lucky if it's been almost a year and you haven't had any problems recording with the PVR. :o When it works, it's really fantastic. Lately over 50% of my programs are "unrecordable." So I called Truevisions again. The guy I talked to knew all about the PVR. He said the PVR software is unstable, causing everyone to have the same problem. They are working to upgrade it. When I asked how I will know when there is a software upgrade, the guy said they will send out a letter. They cannot give me my money back. :D He said the only thing they can do is take my unit, give me a temporary replacement, and repair my unit. However I decided not to do that. If it is a software problem, then I don't think it would be any use to have them repair the unit.

Edited by Ragnarok