Where To Find Masa In Thailand?

Jimmyd

Get it at Don's Market in Rawai on Sai Yuan Rd. They make corn tortillas there, and for cheap, and should have a supply of Masa. If Don is there he can tell you exactly where to get the actual Masa or it's fundamental ingedients because he's like the one guy in Thailand who owns a factory or two dedicated to either making or importing western foods like this. It's not the empire it used to be, but still has some viable mexican ingedients at lower prices than major chains.

They make a killer salsa or two as well.

I tried to make my own after posting a thread exactly like yours 6 months ago. Heck, he's even got cans of refried pinto beans around, bags of dried pintos, yep.

Get it at Don's Market in Rawai on Sai Yuan Rd. They make corn tortillas there, and for cheap, and should have a supply of Masa. If Don is there he can tell you exactly where to get the actual Masa or it's fundamental ingedients because he's like the one guy in Thailand who owns a factory or two dedicated to either making or importing western foods like this. It's not the empire it used to be, but still has some viable mexican ingedients at lower prices than major chains.

They make a killer salsa or two as well.

I tried to make my own after posting a thread exactly like yours 6 months ago. Heck, he's even got cans of refried pinto beans around, bags of dried pintos, yep.

Thanks for the info, but I live in Pattaya. A trip to Bangkok I could swing, but all the way to Phuket is a bit far for me.

I'd like to try making my own corn tortillas, is it possible to find masa here?

I've been looking for it myself. Its great for many recipes, especially enchilada soup. Can't find it anywhere in Bangkok. Might have to bring some back from home during the next visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for it myself. Its great for many recipes, especially enchilada soup. Can't find it anywhere in Bangkok. Might have to bring some back from home during the next visit.

There are quite a few recipes on the net for making masa using lime (calcium hydroxide (ปูนขาว), not the fruit) and popcorn. We ran to the local market and got ปูนขาว easily, a small bag for 5 baht. Popcorn is readily available at Lotus, Big C etc. You can probably grind it using the som tam mortar and pestle although the clay might be too porous. It might be better to use a granite one.

I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so this weekend. I'm sure it will take a few failures before I get a success, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

I did try to make tortillas with corn flour and the stuff came out like paste. Not good. It was way too fine. I have made flour tortillas and they were not too bad. They weren't thin enough (even by traditional Mexican standards) but the flavor was OK.

If somebody tries to make masa, I'd be interested to know how it works.

Tony

There are quite a few recipes on the net for making masa using lime (calcium hydroxide (ปูนขาว), not the fruit) and popcorn. We ran to the local market and got ปูนขาว easily, a small bag for 5 baht. Popcorn is readily available at Lotus, Big C etc. You can probably grind it using the som tam mortar and pestle although the clay might be too porous. It might be better to use a granite one.

I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so this weekend. I'm sure it will take a few failures before I get a success, but I'll let you know how it comes out.

I did try to make tortillas with corn flour and the stuff came out like paste. Not good. It was way too fine. I have made flour tortillas and they were not too bad. They weren't thin enough (even by traditional Mexican standards) but the flavor was OK.

Tony

Tony,

It is great that you are trying to make one of earth’s greatest pleasures. Even in Mexico and the USA, most all tortilla factories make tortillas from processed rehydrated corn flour rather than using fresh masa. They no longer grind the nixtamal but use instant corn meal flour which is ok in taste but not great like masa made from ground corn. Also more important the protein is lost.

http://www.grist.org/comments/food/2006/09...ml?source=daily

You need dent or flint corn with high starch. Popcorn has soft starch. Odds are in fact high, when the calcium hydroxide heats it with the boiling of the water, it will explode and turn itself inside out to make a little, white ball! With the lime on the popcorn that has to be washed off you are going to have a mess!

IMPORTANT

Lime used in making nixtamal is an edible variety of calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide, a naturally occurring chemical compound that usually comes as a white powder. DO NOT USE the lime sold at hardware stores, it is not pure and has heavy metals and other dangerous substances for human health that could be present in the builders or ag lime It is very important to buy only the food safe grade which costs around 250 Baht for 450 grams. When handling lime, do not get it on your skin or in your eyes.

When making the nixtamal, do not use an aluminum pot. Aluminum reacts with the lime. Only use stainless steel.

Be very careful with the waste water with the lime after you drain the nixtamal. Be sure to wash the nixtamal 10 times and sit in water after every wash. Rub off the skin in your palms.

Using the mortar is going to take forever and a day. Odds are very high you will never get it fine enough. You need a heavy duty grinder or a molino.

We make 25 kilos of fresh masa a day but its hard work.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Tony

Tony,

It is great that you are trying to make one of earth’s greatest pleasures. Even in Mexico and the USA, most all tortilla factories make tortillas from processed rehydrated corn flour rather than using fresh masa. They no longer grind the nixtamal but use instant corn meal flour which is ok in taste but not great like masa made from ground corn. Also more important the protein is lost.

http://www.grist.org/comments/food/2006/09...ml?source=daily

You need dent or flint corn with high starch. Popcorn has soft starch. Odds are in fact high, when the calcium hydroxide heats it with the boiling of the water, it will explode and turn itself inside out to make a little, white ball! With the lime on the popcorn that has to be washed off you are going to have a mess!

IMPORTANT

Lime used in making nixtamal is an edible variety of calcium oxide or calcium hydroxide, a naturally occurring chemical compound that usually comes as a white powder. DO NOT USE the lime sold at hardware stores, it is not pure and has heavy metals and other dangerous substances for human health that could be present in the builders or ag lime It is very important to buy only the food safe grade which costs around 250 Baht for 450 grams. When handling lime, do not get it on your skin or in your eyes.

When making the nixtamal, do not use an aluminum pot. Aluminum reacts with the lime. Only use stainless steel.

Be very careful with the waste water with the lime after you drain the nixtamal. Be sure to wash the nixtamal 10 times and sit in water after every wash. Rub off the skin in your palms.

Using the mortar is going to take forever and a day. Odds are very high you will never get it fine enough. You need a heavy duty grinder or a molino.

We make 25 kilos of fresh masa a day but its hard work.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Great information. That sounds like a lot of work. How about just doing an extra 5 kilos next time and I'll come down to Bangkok and pick it up! Actually, you could probably make an extra 100 kilos and sell it to everybody on this forum.

They are in the process of building a Central Plaza Mall here in Khon Kaen. The place is huge. I'm hoping that they might get a gourmet shop or two that would stock (or at least could order) some Mexican ingredients. For now I think I'll stick to my flour tortillas and homemade refried beans.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All and Mr. Sunbelt Asia, you aren't giving us ADM-#2 yellow dent are you? I'm looking for help on finding a corn seed that would be good for making homemade masa.

After all the talk in the Mex food threads about "authentic", with ease of ordering seed on line, I'm looking at Native Seeds Catalog to find which seed comes closest to being the one. I've bin using Hickory King white dent corn with good results. But I want to get on the 'authentic' bandwagon with my corn, and 100 year old verity of Kentucky corn doesn't cut it anymore.

So if you can help give me an idea which one of these verities would be the best for making masa, it would be much appreciated. Use the links below to make your pick, or a link to one if you have a better source of seed.

I also posted one for bean seed.

Yes I can read the seed info, I wanted to know if someone had any preference to a certain area/type?

Thanks, rice555

http://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_18

main site: http://www.nativeseeds.org/

ps, raining like a mother here now, should have seeded today. 00:45 stopped 01:45

Hello All and Mr. Sunbelt Asia, you aren't giving us ADM-#2 yellow dent are you? I'm looking for help on finding a corn seed that would be good for making homemade masa.

After all the talk in the Mex food threads about "authentic", with ease of ordering seed on line, I'm looking at Native Seeds Catalog to find which seed comes closest to being the one. I've bin using Hickory King white dent corn with good results. But I want to get on the 'authentic' bandwagon with my corn, and 100 year old verity of Kentucky corn doesn't cut it anymore.

So if you can help give me an idea which one of these verities would be the best for making masa, it would be much appreciated. Use the links below to make your pick, or a link to one if you have a better source of seed.

I also posted one for bean seed.

Yes I can read the seed info, I wanted to know if someone had any preference to a certain area/type?

Thanks, rice555

http://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_18

main site: http://www.nativeseeds.org/

ps, raining like a mother here now, should have seeded today. 00:45 stopped 01:45

Dent is what I use

http://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?

• 1 month later...

I found corn meal at Foodcourt in Pattaya when I was visiting. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I hope it's close to masa.

I also found jalapeno sauce and Mexican oregano.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Is this the flint corn to make authentic masa?? I had the wife order a huge bag....maybe 40k for only 150thb and spent the afternoon shucking this corn and will dry it and try to process it. It is definately not sweet corn and is starchy.

Now I hope that I can upload the foto.

when dried, I'll follow the recipe on this thread or another similar one at http://www.tortillacocina.com/masa.htm

but, first, please tell me if I have real flint/dent corn.............

post-7365-1241949584_thumb.jpg

Hello jaideeguy, do you see dents?? From your picture, it looks like glutinous corn, 4"-6", the Thai name is 'sticky rice corn', it's not a sweet corn, it's what called a "roaster" in the US. Roasted when young, but can be used to make masa/grits/tomal, your picture looks more like a flour corn or flour/flint which you should be able to use for masa.

Try a batch and see if works.

I use Hickory King(dent) O/P for masa and roasting ears.

rice555

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I think that I'm ready to go......maybe?

The corn is dried and got blistrs getting the corn off the cob. Amazed at how little yeald I got out of a large bag of fresh corn....maybe 3 kilos?

And I bought an old fashioned cast iron grain grinder that also grinds coffee. The kind with opposing serrated grinding wheels and a hand crank.

But the only kind of lime that i could find at a large chemical supplier here n CM is calcium carbonate.

Question is before I poison myself or waste my precious corn....

Will Calcium carbonate work??

if not, then I'll use wood ash or hardware calcium. which one would be best??

The corn is dried and got blistrs getting the corn off the cob. Amazed at how little yeald I got out of a large bag of fresh corn....maybe 3 kilos?

And I bought an old fashioned cast iron grain grinder that also grinds coffee. The kind with opposing serrated grinding wheels and a hand crank.

But the only kind of lime that i could find at a large chemical supplier here n CM is calcium carbonate.

I have never done this and am not a chemist, but I think you can't use calcium carbonate and must use calcium hydroxide (slaked lime or hydrated lime).

I have never done this and am not a chemist, but I think you can't use calcium carbonate and must use calcium hydroxide (slaked lime or hydrated lime).

About wood ash....found this on the internet: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?i...&price=4.95

cal (slaked lime 1lb)

Cal (slaked lime). The Aztecs discovered that by soaking their dried corn in wood ash, the corn became easier to grind and also more digestible, thus, more nutritious. The same process is used today to "slake corn". This processed corn is called Nixtamal. It is later ground into fine or coarse meal for tortillas or tamales or used whole for making Posole. Our "cal" comes in a 1 pound cello bag.

I love tamales and am very interested in this topic.........if there is a reader who knows how to do this safely, please follow up on this thread......thanks.

Great link JR......followed the links to a great, detailed with fotos of the entire process and the grinder that i bought looks exactly like the Estrella Plate-Style Grinder.

So, unless I can find some slaked lime, I'll try it this weekend with wood ash. I guess I just burn a few pieces of wood and let it cool, then take the wood ash off the top.

do you think the same amount as the slaked lime?? or maybe a little more, as the ph may be lower and wod ash will be less weight per spoonfull. I do have some paper ph testors and can check ph. would be good to know optimum range for masa.....

I read on and this site has a substitutions search and came up with the following......

Cal

slaked lime, calcium hydroxide

photo by: gourmetsleuth.com

Cal the Mexican term for calcium hydroxide or slaked lime. Corn is boiled in water with about 2 tablespoons of cal per gallon of water. The cal helps loosen the hulls and actually makes the treated corn more digestible. Cal treated corn is referred to as "nixtamal". This process of treating corn dates back to the Aztecs.

Read More

Gourmetsleuth - article, Maize, Corn, Nixtamal

Where To Buy

Gourmetsleuth.com

Ingredient Substitutions

Traditionally wood ash was used but not recommended unless you are 100% sure of the content in the ash.

This is not 'ROCKET SCIENCE'....or did the ancient aztecs know something we don't know??

Great link JR......followed the links to a great, detailed with fotos of the entire process and the grinder that i bought looks exactly like the Estrella Plate-Style Grinder.

So, unless I can find some slaked lime, I'll try it this weekend with wood ash. I guess I just burn a few pieces of wood and let it cool, then take the wood ash off the top.

do you think the same amount as the slaked lime?? or maybe a little more, as the ph may be lower and wod ash will be less weight per spoonfull. I do have some paper ph testors and can check ph. would be good to know optimum range for masa.....

I read on and this site has a substitutions search and came up with the following......

Cal

Cal the Mexican term for calcium hydroxide or slaked lime. Corn is boiled in water with about 2 tablespoons of cal per gallon of water. The cal helps loosen the hulls and actually makes the treated corn more digestible. Cal treated corn is referred to as "nixtamal". This process of treating corn dates back to the Aztecs.

Read More

Where To Buy

Gourmetsleuth.com

Ingredient Substitutions

Traditionally wood ash was used but not recommended unless you are 100% sure of the content in the ash.

This is not 'ROCKET SCIENCE'....or did the ancient aztecs know something we don't know??

I am with you on this.....it is not rocket science. But be careful..........I would not do it until I found out for sure what the precise process is or you could get sick.

Now I am getting more curious. If I have the time, I will try to find out more about using wood ash as a substitute for slaked lime. It is readily available.....slaked lime is not readily available (as far as I know).

Somebody will eventually read this and give us all the answers we need.

Cal

Read More

Where To Buy

Gourmetsleuth.com

Ingredient Substitutions

I am with you on this.....it is not rocket science. But be careful..........I would not do it until I found out for sure what the precise process is or you could get sick.

Now I am getting more curious. If I have the time, I will try to find out more about using wood ash as a substitute for slaked lime. It is readily available.....slaked lime is not readily available (as far as I know).

Somebody will eventually read this and give us all the answers we need.

THINK I FOUND SOMETHING HERE: http://www.kstrom.net/isk/food/r_corn.html

*HOMINY IS LIKE NIXTAMAL SO CAN PROBABLY USE SAME METHOD

This is the method for making hominy from traditionally sun-dried corn as done up north on Ojibwe reservations here for many years. It's from Ona Kingbired ( Red Lake). I've never tried it.

Use sun-dried corn. But I'd like to know if dried pop-corn grain will work. Multicolored kernels have the most flavor.

Put 2 double-handfuls of ash from oak, maple or poplar wood fires into about 2-3 quarts of water. Boil for 1 hour and let it set all night to settle the ash out. In the morning, boil dried corn in this water, strained if necessary, until the skins slip off and the corn turns bright yellow (1-2 hours).. Rinse 3 times in fresh water. This fresh hominy can now be used immediately in soups and stews. The dried corn will absorb 3-4 times its volume of water. Hominy can also be dried for storage and cooked again (it swells up about 4 times and absorbs at least 4 times its quantity of water).

So, I'd like to hear from someone who can try this with wood ash and the kind of dried corn you can get in stores.

Southwestern tribes made hominy by cooking the dried corn kernels in a lye water made from a mix of corn-cob ashes and powdered lime in water, I'm informed. Either way, the net effect on the nutritional value of the corn is that while some nutrients are leached out, those weren't in available forms anyway. The treatment greatly increases the amounts of usable protein, usable vitamin B (especially thiamine, rarest among vegetable sources), and adds a considerable amount of usable calcium and potassium to the resulting food. (This is probably not true of the way factory-canned hominy is made.) If corn is the staple of your diet, it is hominy you will mostly eat. White people were unaware of this, because relatively little scientific attention was given to nutrition, and no scientists were willing to learn from so-called primitive people with their so-called irrational customs. In the 1920's and '30's, there was widespread pellagra among poor whites, especially in the south. Pellagra is a serious, eventually fatal, disease caused entirely by nutritional deficiences that arise from eating diets largely of of milled cornmeal, chemical hominy, and corn-off-the-cob or canned. Corn was bum-rapped by scientific nutritionists because of the pellagra epidemic. They didn't realize that traditional people, whose diet often consisted almost entirely of corn and beans knew how to handle it to get the best food values from it.

Yea JR, I think it can be done and I already have the main ingredients [white starchy corn] and equipment [grain grinder].

"Put 2 double-handfuls of ash from oak, maple or poplar wood fires into about 2-3 quarts of water"

these woods will be hard to get here and expensive to burn if you could get them. I have a lot of Accatia trees....soft wood, fast growing, and don't think it would be toxic. wouldn't want to use mango wood, as i know it can be toxic. And I still have a few corn cobs left from my drying....that shouldn't be toxic either.

Another thought comes to mind......why can't you use another food grade, safe alkaline solution like bicarbonate of soda [baking soda] and this calcium carbonate is used in pill form for upset stomach, that's the main ingredient in 'Tums'. [antiacid] and is used in toothpaste.

Yea JR, I think it can be done and I already have the main ingredients [white starchy corn] and equipment [grain grinder].

"Put 2 double-handfuls of ash from oak, maple or poplar wood fires into about 2-3 quarts of water"

these woods will be hard to get here and expensive to burn if you could get them. I have a lot of Accatia trees....soft wood, fast growing, and don't think it would be toxic. wouldn't want to use mango wood, as i know it can be toxic. And I still have a few corn cobs left from my drying....that shouldn't be toxic either.

Another thought comes to mind......why can't you use another food grade, safe alkaline solution like bicarbonate of soda [baking soda] and this calcium carbonate is used in pill form for upset stomach, that's the main ingredient in 'Tums'. [antiacid] and is used in toothpaste.

That question is way beyond me........be careful......maybe you can talk with a chemist at Chulalongkorn University and get some advice.

Speaking of toxic wood.......I like to make smoked BBQ and was always told never to use any pine.........so maybe add that to your list of possible toxic wood.

I would think burned, dry corn cobs would make good ash........probably non toxic. My guess is that the Native American Indians probably took advantage of the entire corn plant.......maybe that is what they burned to get the ash.

Be sure and wash the nixtamal over and over again with fresh after you finish the process to remove the alkaline residue and smell (read that somewhere).

Where are the experts? Any Native American Indians reading ThaiVisa?

Agree with you on pine wood, as residue is creosote. Don't really have a lot of the cobs left, as I gave most of them to the chickens to pick over.

Maybe rice straw?/ burns fast, leaves ash, and is another grain.

"Where are the experts? Any Native American Indians reading ThaiVisa? "

they are all at mcDonalds

unless we get some firm info on wood ash or my calcium carbonate by the weekend, I'll try the few corncobs I have left and some rice straw.

BTW JR...what part of LOS are you from??

Hello you two, if all else fails, go to the #3 post on this thread, hit the link!

They do ship, I have found it here in Korat at a hospital/chem supply store, you can get it in LOS.

rice555

Thanks for that reminder..........it would be nice, however, to be able to use something as readily available, inexpensive and safe as wood ash. I don't trust chemical supply stores in Thailand.

Hello JR, if????? you had read the other thread, you would have seen the poster got the 'SHITS' from wood ash, not all of us are as hardy as a cowpie raised texan like yourself.

You can buy it in LOS and it's cheap, and 98% chance it was not made in LOS, but an imported.

You must eat some food that is made/processed in LOS, where do you think the chems come from? Peanut Corp.of America?

rice555

Hello JR, if????? you had read the other thread, you would have seen the poster got the 'SHITS' from wood ash, not all of us are as hardy as a cowpie raised texan like yourself.

You can buy it in LOS and it's cheap, and 98% chance it was not made in LOS, but an imported.

You must eat some food that is made/processed in LOS, where do you think the chems come from? Peanut Corp.of America?

rice555

I think the person you are talking about said he was joking when he talked about getting the "shits".........but don't remember now and can't find that old thread.......anyway, if the Native American made nixtamal using wood ash for generations, they probably did so because it worked. This is an experiment........if it works Jaideeguy will likely post the results.

Hello JR, jaideeguy and I talked today for a couple of hours today, he may know where he can get the real thing in CM, it takes all the guess work out of it.

We do know that the other thread had a happy customer!

rice555

"Thanks for the added info. I already bought a supply from Vidhasom Co in Bangkok based on the info provided by Rice555."

Hello JR, jaideeguy and I talked today for a couple of hours today, he may know where he can get the real thing in CM, it takes all the guess work out of it.

We do know that the other thread had a happy customer!

rice555

"Thanks for the added info. I already bought a supply from Vidhasom Co in Bangkok based on the info provided by Rice555."

When it is all said and done, please post all of the results. Some of us live in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to a Mexican restaurant or masa, etc. We must make it ourselves or do without it. I, for one, don't even want to try to make it unless I know it is safe and works. Thanks.