Central Shopping / Traffic

moo9

What a weekend! Starting early afternoon Beach Road, many Soi's around, 2nd and 3rd road where jammed.

I assume the location of the new Central Shopping center will increase Pattaya's traffic problems. There is no Central Shopping east of Bangkok, so one can imagine that all the crowds from Chonburi and Rayong will come down here each weekend. It will be a traffic nightmare.

There is the beginning novelty factor. Everyone wants to gawk at the new mall. It will even draw people from Bangkok to gawk, Bangkokians can't resist a big mall. However that part should settle down after awhile.

But in the long run of course Pattaya now being a big city needs a more modern transport system. Perhaps the mayor's skyrail dream isn't as crazy and impossible as it seems.

I for one think the skyrail dream is a great idea.

Sure would cut down on motorbike drive-by crime! :o

But, back on topic, my wife and I went to Central at about 2 PM Saturday from here on the Darkside. Pattaya Tai, always tough traffic on a Saturday, was at a snail's pace; as was the west (Central entrance) lane of 2nd Road. Since I fully expected it, it didn't annoy me more than a little this time. :D (Of course, it did give me an opportunity to block more motorbikes than usual from using the double line in the middle of the road as though it's a special trail for bikes! :P )

We came out at about 6, having toured all 6 floors. The traffic on Pattaya Klang, coming west, as we were going east, was backed up all the way to Carrefour.

We were among those who were favorably impressed. :D My wife with all the new shops for clothes, purses (DOZENS OF THEM), shoes, etc.; me with the many and varied choices for food on the restaurant floors (5&6). They had plenty of parking attendants to keep the flow of incoming vehicles under control. The garage has adequate spacing, and drive space. However, they need more signage to direct you to entrances once you park. But I won't be going there to eat very often. I could die of starvation (or frustration) while fighting through the traffic to get there! :D

One negative for me was the Food Court. :D I was starved when we got there, since I had postponed lunch while my wife got ready. (Always a mistake!) So, rather than look for a restaurant, we went to the Food Court. It is really set up for Thais. There are virtually no signs, and very few menus, in English. There is no beer available within the area. The tables are all very small, and crowded too close together. The food was OK, and priced for Thais. But I'll never go in there again. I'll pay a few more baht, and eat (and have a beer with my meal) in one of the many restaurants upstairs.

I expect that the crowds will thin somewhat after the first month or so. However, I don't think it will ever be anything close to what we have considered "normal" here. Weekends have always been a tangle downtown. From now on, that area will be "off limits" for me, unless it's absolutely necessary to go there for something. (And I can't imagine what can't wait until a weekday!) That mall will always be a big draw, until they build more of them. I think there's one going up in Chonburi soon. But that still leaves all of Rayong and Sattahip for the Pattaya mall.

In my opinion, the place is worth a trip to explore while it's new. As long as you set your attitude in advance to deal with the traffic, I think you'll enjoy the few hours it will take for the whole trip and tour. :wai:

It took 5 years to bury the beach road cables - so about 50 to construct a skyrail should do it!!! :D

What would concern me most about a skyrail is the fact that it would run on electricity. Both the reliability and safety of electricity in this city are deplorable! How often would folks be trapped in a skyrail car while waiting for the blown transformer, or other parts, to be replaced by these genius electrical crews?! :o

It took 5 years to bury the beach road cables - so about 50 to construct a skyrail should do it!!! :D

What would concern me most about a skyrail is the fact that it would run on electricity. Both the reliability and safety of electricity in this city are deplorable! How often would folks be trapped in a skyrail car while waiting for the blown transformer, or other parts, to be replaced by these genius electrical crews?! :o

This being Pattaya they might even have to dig up all the cables again to power it!! :D:D

only in thailand would they invite everyone to the opening, then have a parade to block everyone from getting to it

i thought i would be smart and take a bahtbas from jomtien. it had to stop way before pattaya tai since the road was closed for the parade and we had to walk thought thousands of people to get to the mall

only in thailand would they invite everyone to the opening, then have a parade to block everyone from getting to it

i thought i would be smart and take a bahtbas from jomtien. it had to stop way before pattaya tai since the road was closed for the parade and we had to walk thought thousands of people to get to the mall

I thought the parade was good. You can't expect a big developement like this without a parade. You should have got off your arse earlier then you'd have got there no problem. They closed Pattaya Klang at 14:30 (I saw the law putting up the barriers). The traffic won't last once the excitement eases.

I went to the mall for the first time today, Monday, in the early afternoon. I drove from Tony's gym on Third Road north to Central and then down Central to 2nd and then a right and parked a little ways up on 2nd road and hoofed it to the Mall (walking up the beachside malecon.

Traffic was no problem but I did see while walking up Beach road that it was pretty slow to the Mall. I left the mall by the 2nd road side and there was not jam-up there at all. Traffic was flowing normally and like some have said, at least for now, there are plenty of parking/security folks to direct traffic. There was no back-up of cars exiting the parking garage.

On my way back (up 2nd road), I noticed that the police had since blocked thru traffic on Central Road to the beach and were directing all traffic to make a right and proceed up 2nd Road.

I doubt that the traffic will improve much, because it is the only Central easy of Bangkok, and the entire Eastern Seaboard will come here for shopping. Let's see, but it would have been better placed on Sukhumvit or a bit outside of downtown.

I wonder if any traffic impact assessments were carried out when this was being planned.

In the UK (and I imagine lots of other countries) such assessments are obligatory for major new developments.

I think I probably know the answer!

I'm sure that they considered the future impact upon traffic as carefully as they did prior to opening the "relief roads" on either side of the RR tracks! :o:D

But, on the positive side, it is encouraging to note the quick reaction to the initial problems of the Central Mall traffic; AND that they have FINALLY activated lights, and installed barriers, to greatly improve both the flow and safety of traffic at the Siam CC and Nernplubwarn intersections. :D

I'm guessing that they would have had to apply for and receive EIA approval for a project like this, and I assume that would involve assessment of the implications for traffic. However, for a company with the clout of Central I'm sure this was a mere formality.

I'm guessing that they would have had to apply for and receive EIA approval for a project like this, and I assume that would involve assessment of the implications for traffic. However, for a company with the clout of Central I'm sure this was a mere formality.

Perhaps so, Jimmy. But, as I pointed out in my reference to the "relief roads", if they do any pre-build analysis, it is nearly always a waste of time. Most actions to improve traffic here are reactionary; and, even then, both extremely slow in coming, and far less effective than they could be. In most cases, we can immediately identify a better way to do almost everything they do.

Went with my TG on Friday night. Random thoughts. Saw zero signs in English in the food court. Did not take an official count but the restruants seemed to be almost 50 percent Japanese. The supermarket with "80,000 items" was OK but I doubt there actually were over 10,000 different items. The prices in the shops we looked into were beyond ridiculous. Older falangs with young Thai girls were less than one percent of the customers. Over-all appearance of the mall was super-great. Ten more movie screens. When we have gone to movies we seldom see 20 customers at a showing, usually less than ten. Where are the customers for ten more screens going to come from? This place may or may not make it but as the newest and most modern mall it will really hurt Carfour, Tesco, and BigC.

This place may or may not make it but as the newest and most modern mall it will really hurt Carfour, Tesco, and BigC.

Totally different price point than Carrefour and Tesco. What percentage of locals here do you figure are so rich they will be doing all their shopping at the Central Food Hall and department store? If you mean Big C mall, well that is is location thing. If you are closer to North Pattaya and want to go the cinema, why bother going to Central? The Avenue is a little niche mall and also modern. I think it will be OK as a contrast to the megamall. The main mall at risk I think is Royal Garden. Also Mike's Shopping Center, what a dinosaur!

Edited by Jingthing