Tv Advertising In Thailand - Style And Substance

Tyke

I'm no expert on the philosophy of TV advertising but I first noticed when I visited the USA last year that much of the TV advertising there seemd to be based on fear. The tube was dominated by adverts for health insurance, property and personal security and religion.

I did a quick survey of what is advertised on Thai channels of the TV, as well as on the BTS in BKK. In order of popularity, the adverts content was about:

1. Junk food - often deep fried westernised shit, especially Pizzas and other indescribables.

2. 'Health' and 'beauty' products.

3. Technology, especially phones, computers and cars.

The style of the adverts also seems 'full of fun', trivial and unoriginal, although a couple are quite funny.

Does this tell us anything about Thai society, apart from the obvious focus on pleasure, fun, consumerism and appearance?

Does the content and style of TV adverts in your home countries differ from these? And if so, why do you think it is?

Please stay focused - I'm not looking for a Thai bashing session.

I'm no expert on the philosophy of TV advertising but I first noticed when I visited the USA last year that much of the TV advertising there seemd to be based on fear. The tube was dominated by adverts for health insurance, property and personal security and religion.

I did a quick survey of what is advertised on Thai channels of the TV, as well as on the BTS in BKK. In order of popularity, the adverts content was about:

1. Junk food - often deep fried westernised shit, especially Pizzas and other indescribables.

The style of the adverts also seems 'full of fun', trivial and unoriginal, although a couple are quite funny.

Does this tell us anything about Thai society, apart from the obvious focus on pleasure, fun, consumerism and appearance?

Does the content and style of TV adverts in your home countries differ from these? And if so, why do you think it is?

Although packaged differently, pretty much the same back home Cars, Computers, Insurance, Pizza, Beer

But for a country so concerned with exposing its youth to bad influences of alcohol advertising and the like, they sure dont appear to care about subjecting their kids to non-stop chocolate covered this and that commercials - take a look sometime on saturday morning on the local channels.

Although packaged differently, pretty much the same back home Cars, Computers, Insurance, Pizza, Beer

But for a country so concerned with exposing its youth to bad influences of alcohol advertising and the like, they sure dont appear to care about subjecting their kids to non-stop chocolate covered this and that commercials - take a look sometime on saturday morning on the local channels.

Yeah!! Strict times for supermarkets selling, blurred out pictures on TV, yet there are massive signs on Sukhumvit in Pattaya for, Singha and Leo - go figure?? :o

Hi :o

Worst is the "beauty" products - Thais seem to be overly obsessed with their skin. Watch those soaps - i am forced to as my boyfriend is addicted to that stuff, however out of 10 advertisements 8 are for some sort of cream or lotion, and 7 of those have the "whitening" component.

Tells a lot now, doesn't it?

Best regards....

Thanh

I find the advertisements and soap opera so pathetic,and unprofessional.My impression of these is one point stands out all the time,

THAIS WANT TO BE WHITE,WHITE WHITE,WHITE

not a thai only issue - asia wide.

back to the commercials, i can't believe people sit on the bts and stare up at those things, why cant they show news or even music (i know the answer, just wishful thinking).

this is a rather interesting topic for media studies.

coming from a broadcast junkie's standpoint, i actually observe the ads airing on the BTS and find them pretty hilarious (the storyboards i mean). production design is good as well as graphic execution.

while aesthetics seem to be top priority, i am also wondering behind the consumer messages they want to deliver. or is it just the language barrier behind my confusion?

i agree with the fact that some ads seem to be a tad dislodged from the brand message :o

this is a rather interesting topic for media studies.

coming from a broadcast junkie's standpoint, i actually observe the ads airing on the BTS and find them pretty hilarious (the storyboards i mean). production design is good as well as graphic execution.

while aesthetics seem to be top priority, i am also wondering behind the consumer messages they want to deliver. or is it just the language barrier behind my confusion?

i agree with the fact that some ads seem to be a tad dislodged from the brand message :o

all you need to know about advertising here is to include a "boing" sound in your ads, nothing else is required...apparently.

I'm no expert on the philosophy of TV advertising but I first noticed when I visited the USA last year that much of the TV advertising there seemd to be based on fear. The tube was dominated by adverts for health insurance, property and personal security and religion.I did a quick survey of what is advertised on Thai channels of the TV, as well as on the BTS in BKK. In order of popularity, the adverts content was about:

I can think of adverts for AFLAC the worker's comp supplimental insurance and ads for Brinks security but none at all come to mind that advertise property or religion. The biggest majority of adds I have seen in the States are for cars and trucks, beer, food, household items, personal hygene products and soft drinks; except for the whitening creams, not much different than Thailand really.

I'm no expert on the philosophy of TV advertising but I first noticed when I visited the USA last year that much of the TV advertising there seemd to be based on fear. The tube was dominated by adverts for health insurance, property and personal security and religion.I did a quick survey of what is advertised on Thai channels of the TV, as well as on the BTS in BKK. In order of popularity, the adverts content was about:

I can think of adverts for AFLAC the worker's comp supplimental insurance and ads for Brinks security but none at all come to mind that advertise property or religion. The biggest majority of adds I have seen in the States are for cars and trucks, beer, food, household items, personal hygene products and soft drinks; except for the whitening creams, not much different than Thailand really.

Not property - property security is what I meant, eg. alarm and security systems, home insurance etc. The religion wasn't necessarily part of commercials - just a lot of programs or channels that featured it, incl. news interviews on religious opinion - eg. the story about Obama's minister featured very largely when I was there, which seemed ridiculously obsessive and petty to me - not necessarily commercials but still a form of advertising as far as I could see - far more than you would get, or even allowed, in the UK, for example. Just my outsider's observation. I might add that I stayed a lot in motels, so maybe the channels they had weren't mainstream - they were certainly full of mainly crap adverts.

Edited by Tyke

The all American kid.....

Grown up on TV advertising and fast food.

post-4007-1232962572_thumb.jpg

Yes, advertising should be regulated.

wrong again Go6: consumption should be regulated.

So what do you propose, having hamburger police posted in every household ?

Many TV commercials in T are much more direct and importunate than in the West. Thais like noisiness - so are their commercials.

Another example is Tesco Lotus with it's endless loud announcements and commercials for their products. Contrary to Farang country, where endless loudness would drive customers away.

Edited by Birdman

Ah, the desire to be white. The advertisers do make a lot of this.

Costs me a bob or two when she needs her creams, lotions and magical whitening potions.

Maybe the advertisers should care more about the real Thai people and the fact they are beautiful as they are instead of trying to make them something they are not meant to be - white.

Ah, the desire to be white. The advertisers do make a lot of this.

Costs me a bob or two when she needs her creams, lotions and magical whitening potions.

Maybe the advertisers should care more about the real Thai people and the fact they are beautiful as they are instead of trying to make them something they are not meant to be - white.

You could say that about tanning products in white man's countries - not only cosmetics, but also sun beds, Vit e (?) tablets and holidays in the sun etc etc.

Edited by Tyke

They should show at prime TV time some reports about other countries and cultures, not always the brainless soap operas. To start with: A report about the sun studios in the West, the places, where white Farangs pay to get brown.

Something to swallow for many locals. Or in other words: A mind opener...

Especially, if interrupted by the whiter creams commercials.

• 2 weeks later...
I find the advertisements and soap opera so pathetic,and unprofessional.My impression of these is one point stands out all the time,

THAIS WANT TO BE WHITE,WHITE WHITE,WHITE

Compare that to the tanning salons, fun-in-the-sun holidays, tanning lotion, fake tan, suntan creams and other such advertised in the West (especially the UK) and you see the "grass always looks greener". Actually, its a case of trying to look higher class/wealthier than we actually are - In Asia working people are browner and thus want to be more white to look richer (business people don't work in the sun, but in aircon offices), in the UK wealthier people go on more holidays and thus look browner. Its all baloney.

The all American kid.....

Grown up on TV advertising and fast food.

post-4007-1232962572_thumb.jpg

Yes, advertising should be regulated.

wrong again Go6: consumption should be regulated.

So what do you propose, having hamburger police posted in every household ?

No, just seed one in ten with laxatives. The more you eat, the less it will be a problem :o

there was a tv ad a few years ago here in thailand for a whitening cream.

it featured a beauty contest.

the loser was revealed with a miss cambodia banner across herself, and she was exageratedly dark, and she was crowned loser with sad sound effects, while some ghastly white thai was the winner.

what an absoulte shame.

Hi.

What they will never figure out is the fact that white Asians (and such artificial white, like a chalked wall!) look just plain ugly. While naturally brighter Asians (such as Chinese or Japanese) have their beauty, a Thai will never look nice if he/she looks like the sheet of paper in front of me.

Specially (and that they also won't figure out!) if the white area, just like a mask, ends around the face but neck, arms etc still got the natural, darker, colour. Oh, of course some are stupid enough to use the crap on their whole body, the "beauty" industry is ever so glad for them :o

Regarding the comparison (spelling?) between Asians trying to get white and Europeans trying to get tanned, yeah understood - however tanning is a natural process - the sun alone can and does do it perfectly well, while "whitening" is so artificial as polyurethane. Even if you lock an Asian into a pitch dark room for a year he/she won't be white like the wall, but after using these whitening creams (and adding some make-up that appears to include a rather large percentage of titanium dioxide) they WILL be.

They look like ghosts, really.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Hi.

What they will never figure out is the fact that white Asians (and such artificial white, like a chalked wall!) look just plain ugly. While naturally brighter Asians (such as Chinese or Japanese) have their beauty, a Thai will never look nice if he/she looks like the sheet of paper in front of me.

Specially (and that they also won't figure out!) if the white area, just like a mask, ends around the face but neck, arms etc still got the natural, darker, colour. Oh, of course some are stupid enough to use the crap on their whole body, the "beauty" industry is ever so glad for them :o

Regarding the comparison (spelling?) between Asians trying to get white and Europeans trying to get tanned, yeah understood - however tanning is a natural process - the sun alone can and does do it perfectly well, while "whitening" is so artificial as polyurethane. Even if you lock an Asian into a pitch dark room for a year he/she won't be white like the wall, but after using these whitening creams (and adding some make-up that appears to include a rather large percentage of titanium dioxide) they WILL be.

They look like ghosts, really.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

White Thai's being ugly is somwewhat subjective - maybe its not you they are trying to attract, maybe its a rich Thai man who appreciates their efforts/colour.

A to a dark skinned Thai never becoming white by natural process, granted (with reservations) - of course to some degree they would. However, the same is true for white skinned people, most very white skinned people find it very hard to naturally tan as they burn easily or just simply lack the melanin to acquire the shade. This is why they go for spray tans or use crap out of a bottle (and still have whoite arms/legs/neck and tide marks if its not done right) - same, same, but different, na krup?

and on and on and on....

so this thread will turn into a "why to thais/asians/africans/s.americans/etc. etc. want to be white?" thread again... well we all know where that leads to: nothing.

oh actually it eventually leads to a conversation about how men prefer dark-skinned bgs over 'pasty white' bkk chinese - and then eventually every millionaire (aka all 70,000 TV members) will chime in about how their white bkk chinese-thai girl is the best and how she's hi-so. so basically, rubbish.

on the subject of current TVCs, the particular woman in the Lays Selection ads currently running is hands down the most beautiful woman in the hemisphere. my 2 cents.

:o Yes in popular Thai culture the "rich white Farang" look is highly prized, at least in the cities. I'm not sure if that extends to the villages or not, but I guess it does. What I can say for sure is that for many working class Thais the parade of skin whiteners, new electronic gadgets, etc. is a joke. They know they have not a chance of ever getting to enjoy those things. They just can't afford them.

I'm not sure that the advertisements you see on Thai T.V. have as much to do with real Thai wants and needs as they do with the internationalised "rich white Farang" look, as I called it above. It is more the ideal that the upper class in Thailand likes to promote....and that they make a good profit from which they therefore promote as the norm.

If you watch Muay Thai boxing on T.V. you will see a lot of commercials for so-called health drinks that make you stronger or more energetic. In fact, during the rounds in Muay Thai matches I've seen those commercials over and over. It usually has some good loooking Thai girl swooning over some young Thai guy with a pickup truck after he chugs down a certain drink that makes him stronger. Those commercials are shown during the boxing because the people watching are assumed to be interested.

For the same reason the commercials shown during popular music and variety shows, or those Thai "soap opera" shows, are for face skin whiteners and such because that's the market that watches those types of shows.

So I wouldn't say that the type of commercials shown on Thai T.V. show any deep and profound thing about Thai society. I would say that the commercials are simply aimed at the percieved market. They are just selling to the market

:D

and on and on and on....

so this thread will turn into a "why to thais/asians/africans/s.americans/etc. etc. want to be white?" thread again... well we all know where that leads to: nothing.

oh actually it eventually leads to a conversation about how men prefer dark-skinned bgs over 'pasty white' bkk chinese - and then eventually every millionaire (aka all 70,000 TV members) will chime in about how their white bkk chinese-thai girl is the best and how she's hi-so. so basically, rubbish.

on the subject of current TVCs, the particular woman in the Lays Selection ads currently running is hands down the most beautiful woman in the hemisphere. my 2 cents.

deleted

Edited by Birdman