1,000 Farmers Protest Outside Government House

george

1,000 farmers protest outside Government House

BANGKOK: -- Some 1,000 farmers rallied outside the Government House Monday, demanding the government to speed up to restructure their debt.

The rallied on the Phitsanulok Road at 11:30 am.

At 2 pm, the farmers broke through the barricade and rallied around the fence near Gate 1 and Gate 2 next to the Chamai Maruchet Bridge.

They threatened to storm into the Government House complex to camp out there pending help from the government.

Police closed all the gates immediately after the farmers broke past the barricade.

The farmers were led by Charin Duangdara, advisor of the Network of Thai Farmers in Debt.

-- The Nation 2009-01-26

Protesting farmers move from Government House to Royal Plaza

BANGKOK:-- Some 1,000 farmers moved from the Government House to rally at the Royal Plaza Monday afternoon after the government promised to allocate Bt600 million to restructure their debt.

The farmers stopped rallying outside the Government House at 4:10 pm after Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij promised that he would ask the Cabinet on Tuesday to approve Bt600 million as a short-term measure to help the farmers retain their land.

Watcharapong Khongyuen, a leader of the farmers, said they would disperse from the Royal Plaza Tuesday after the Cabinet approves Bt600 million for helping them.

He said the farmers would rally again on February 10 to demand the government to approve Bt17 billion for helping farmers to repay their debt.

-- The Nation 2009-01-26

It seems to be the season for farmer protests. They beg the govt for loans and then demand "help" 6-8 months later.

It is not their (the farmers) fault for being poor. Thai govt always take advantage of the poor farmers. Take a look at EU or America, where all the farmers I knew (however little) drives brand new Benz, Cherokee, Range Rovers, etc.

The only person who is kind to the poor is HM. Without him and his Royal projects, Royal rain, etc, many of the poor would have died of hunger long time ago.

It seems to be the season for farmer protests. They beg the govt for loans and then demand "help" 6-8 months later.

It is not their (the farmers) fault for being poor. Thai govt always take advantage of the poor farmers. Take a look at EU or America, where all the farmers I knew (however little) drives brand new Benz, Cherokee, Range Rovers, etc.

The only person who is kind to the poor is HM. Without him and his Royal projects, Royal rain, etc, many of the poor would have died of hunger long time ago.

People in EU & US have to pay extra for the benefits of the farmers. I am sure you don't want that. It is very subjective of it is pro or con.

You cannot compare what the newspapers here call 'farmers' (whose 'farms' are small semi-self-sufficient units of yeoman-peasantry) with the UK and USA 'farmers (whose 'farms' are big areas of land on which expensive machines spread petro-chemical-derived fertiliser and pesticides in a highly-capitalised industrialised way).

To understand the rich social capital of the villages of the Thai farmers and their paucity of monetary capital, I recommend "A Child of the Norteast" by Kampoon Boontawee.

(Or send me a PM and I will reply with an attachment of an article on my MA study of the future of Thailand and its Villages-Bangkok balance.)

You cannot compare what the newspapers here call 'farmers' (whose 'farms' are small semi-self-sufficient units of yeoman-peasantry) with the UK and USA 'farmers (whose 'farms' are big areas of land on which expensive machines spread petro-chemical-derived fertiliser and pesticides in a highly-capitalised industrialised way).

To understand the rich social capital of the villages of the Thai farmers and their paucity of monetary capital, I recommend "A Child of the Norteast" by Kampoon Boontawee.

(Or send me a PM and I will reply with an attachment of an article on my MA study of the future of Thailand and its Villages-Bangkok balance.)

Yes your on the nail there,most of my family own small plots here & there around the village, I would say 6 Rai (around 1 acre) is the average & now that the harvest is over there is no Farming activities to be seen Barr for a few small allotment & Buffalo herds walking around, thats it till March April time again, i still can't get my head around how they have survived so long compared to what i've been used to in the west, but saying that i think they are better placed than the poor of the west as they have very little to lose & can quite well eat from the land if need be.

Their all a happy bunch they now no differrent.

I will PM you, i'm very interested in finding out as much about Thailand as possible & think this study you have will be a good read as i have been living & running a farming contract business here for 2 years so have met many a poor farmer & have married one.

Cheers Shaun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to find a heading to put this one under. from TOC:

A group of corn farmers continue their blockade at Chiang Mai Provincial Hall, to pressure the government to solve problems with the corn-pledging program.

Approximately 200 local corn farmers from Mae Jam District have gathered in front of the Chiang Mai Provincial Hall on their fourth day of rallying, under the close watch of more than 100 police officers. The group has now agreed to open the northern gate for officials to enter.

The protesters have called on the government to specify a date and time for the launch of warehouse receipts under its corn-pledging program. Moreover, they claim that the government's decision that one farmer cannot pledge over 100,000 baht is unfair and ineffective. The farmers' group also threatened to continue blockades at the site if their request receives no response.

Later in the day, the corn protesters nearly clashed with some red-shirt demonstrators who were staging a rally against the government nearby.

It is reported that a group of red-shirt supporters, led by the core leader of 'Love Chiang Mai 51', Petcharawat Wattanapongsirikul, intended to join the rally, but the corn farmers refused and said their purposes are different and they do not want to be used in a political game.

Police have brought the situation under control.

Interesting to see that the farmers dont want to play with LCM51. Guess staying clear of them gives a better chance of demands being met.