The Best Tefl Course In C Mai

Chiangmai Foxy

I am taking the SEE course in March and had done mucho research before settling on that course. I visited the director of the TEFL course at CMU and the head instructor (John Quinn) at SEE. At CMU I was greeted with indifference and really no interest in answering my questions to the point of convincing me to attend their program. At SEE, John kept his appointment with me, spent as much time with me as I needed and answered every question I had, even if it seemed counter productive to "selling" me. The choice was easy for me after interviewing those two leaders of their prospective programs.

John has been very responsive to any emails I have sent to him and believe me, I am a detail person....lol.

The SEE website also claims accreditation by the MOE and lists a license/registration number as well as being affiliated with an international TEFL organization.

I'm looking forward to my experience, even if with some anxiety.

Regards,

Martian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CMU TEFL is not run by CMU. It is a franchised operation of TEFL International run in rented accommodation inside the Language Institute which is a semi-autonomous business within the campus of CMU. The CMU brand is creatively used for marketing purposes. Many other companies, such as Mentor, run businesses from within CMU.

I am taking the SEE course in March and had done mucho research before settling on that course. I visited the director of the TEFL course at CMU and the head instructor (John Quinn) at SEE. At CMU I was greeted with indifference and really no interest in answering my questions to the point of convincing me to attend their program. At SEE, John kept his appointment with me, spent as much time with me as I needed and answered every question I had, even if it seemed counter productive to "selling" me. The choice was easy for me after interviewing those two leaders of their prospective programs.

John has been very responsive to any emails I have sent to him and believe me, I am a detail person....lol.

The SEE website also claims accreditation by the MOE and lists a license/registration number as well as being affiliated with an international TEFL organization.

I'm looking forward to my experience, even if with some anxiety.

Regards,

Martian

Best of luck :o

i happen to know that you can get a 3000 baht discount on the CMU program if you sign up through the marketing director: [email protected].

And speaking of propaganda, CMU claim to do the only tefl course accredited by the ministry of education in thailand. Now, THAT'S real propaganda!!

to quote fezzik from the movie, the princess bride:

"that word. i do not think it means what you think it means."

if you're going to be pejorative, at least use the proper term. this would be "graft."

however, it might more accurately be called an "endorsement."

or are you claiming that other tefl programs are accredited by the ministry of education? then the word would be "untruth." in which case, you should probably back up your statement with some details.

okay, english lesson is over. fee waived due to my lazy avoidance of capital letters.

Edited by ollylama

"that word. i do not think it means what you think it means."
:D

But we've gone through the looking glass, ollylama :o:D .

Was it not Humpty Dumpty who said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean." (or thereabouts)?

As for my own teaching, i've always thought it a bit silly to be a teacher who is not fully committed and motivated by the profession they're in. After all, it's better to be unmotivated by one's work when earning a lot more than a teacher can earn. If you don't like your work, make sure you're not a teacher!

I quite agree. For many more reasons, too.

To teach english as a foreign language in a private language school back in britain does not require language or education degrees. The supply would get nowhere near the demand.

What are the requirements?

I ask partly because the OP gave us little background. He/she may be quite young and may not previously have given much thought to future teaching options. It might be worth considering taking a course in a location other than CM, for example, if that is practical. It might also be worth considering taking additional/other courses, either now or later. Some good and more substantial ones are available online. The fact is that a 4-week TEFL course alone offers quite limited options. (That's also how the language mills can justify low wages -- their "teachers" are barely qualified :D . Still plenty of fee-paying students from around the world eager to get a foothold in the UK and other countries, though, as well as people keen to "teach and travel" to places like Thailand).

Edited by spectrum

To teach english as a foreign language in a private language school back in britain does not require language or education degrees. The supply would get nowhere near the demand.

A certificate with as much experience as possible. A diploma (DELTA or the trinity one) at some of the more in-demand schools would be a big advantage. Last time i knew (admittedly 2001) the certificate would need to have been the CELTA or the trinity equivalent.

Degrees in anything unrelated to teaching english hold little or no sway.

Getting on with the DOS in the interview will help a lot too!

This thread illustrates well why we have to close discussions in the Teaching in Thailand forum over so-called "TEFL Wars." :o

I doubt that CMU claims its TEFL course is the only one in Thailand certified by the MOE.

This thread really looks like a 'war' to you?

Your doubts contrast with the adverts i've seen from them around town, you know, the kind that have tear off phone number strips at the bottom. What i can't recall is if they say the only one in thailand or chiang mai. Either way, they're being rather economical with the truth. [better not say 'lying' since this might be considered some sort of machine gun fire...!]

This thread illustrates well why we have to close discussions in the Teaching in Thailand forum over so-called "TEFL Wars." :o

I doubt that CMU claims its TEFL course is the only one in Thailand certified by the MOE.

This thread really looks like a 'war' to you?

Your doubts contrast with the adverts i've seen from them around town, you know, the kind that have tear off phone number strips at the bottom. What i can't recall is if they say the only one in thailand or chiang mai. Either way, they're being rather economical with the truth. [better not say 'lying' since this might be considered some sort of machine gun fire...!]

I'm quite close with the purveyor of those flyers. In fact, I helped her design them. So I can quote verbatim:

"The only university-accredited TEFL certification in S.E. Asia."

Before casting aspersions you might double-check your facts, femi fan. Sounds like the only "propaganda" is coming straight from the horse's mouth. Neiiighhhh!

I'm quite close with the purveyor of those flyers. In fact, I helped her design them. So I can quote verbatim:

Before casting aspersions you might double-check your facts, femi fan. Sounds like the only "propaganda" is coming straight from the horse's mouth. Neiiighhhh!

In that case then i apologise. It is also poor reading skills on my part, and that is sorrowfully ironic to me. I'm glad you're here to put me right.

However, if i am to attempt a defence, it's a bit of a vague claim. I mean, it hardly means that the course is therefore better than others. It still belongs to creative marketing, if not propaganda.

And i don't think i've exactly been 'casting aspersions'. I showed that my memory was dodgy in terms of the area of the claim.

Finally, a question to you, since you're talking about double-checking facts: how did you manage to discover that of all the universities in south-east asia, not one is supplying a tefl course that they are willing to accredit?

Edited by femi fan

No war, just a discussion that's a little more interesting than hamburgers (much as I acknowledge the importance of hamburgers). Peace Blondie's just an exceptionally pacific type of person.

A certificate with as much experience as possible. A diploma (DELTA or the trinity one) at some of the more in-demand schools would be a big advantage. Last time i knew (admittedly 2001) the certificate would need to have been the CELTA or the trinity equivalent.

Degrees in anything unrelated to teaching english hold little or no sway.

There's a certain form of logic to the attitude to the type of degree there, I guess :D. Not that I think that formal education is the only important kind, but sometimes it's abundantly clear that a person wishing to "do a tefl" (not referring to the OP, just making a general comment) has language skills and interests that are not quite as polished or wide-ranging as one might hope.

Getting on with the DOS in the interview will help a lot too!

How many baht are you customarily offered :D ?

True, though.

Show willingness to be more flexible than Houdini and able to live off the smell of an oil rag :o .

In that case then i apologise. It is also poor reading skills on my part, and that is sorrowfully ironic to me. I'm glad you're here to put me right.

However, if i am to attempt a defence, it's a bit of a vague claim. I mean, it hardly means that the course is therefore better than others. It still belongs to creative marketing, if not propaganda.

And i don't think i've exactly been 'casting aspersions'. I showed that my memory was dodgy in terms of the area of the claim.

Finally, a question to you, since you're talking about double-checking facts: how did you manage to discover that of all the universities in south-east asia, not one is supplying a tefl course that they are willing to accredit?

i didn't. as i indicated, i just designed the flyer. i've never taught anything in my life and i'm not affiliated with the program. and i have no idea whether the course is better than any of the others. however, i imagine (as someone who is utterly unqualified to imagine, due to my lack of experience in the english-teaching realm) that schools which don't know any better might appreciate a certificate from a university rather than one from "joe's english teaching school." i'm not saying that's fair, just or right, just stating that it's something that might be worth considering.

anyway, no biggie. trying to remember all the info one encounters in chiang mai everyday is a herculean task. that's why i carry my camera around everywhere - pictures are better than memory.

Edited by ollylama

Hi all,hope i can get some input on this.

I am living in c mai and want to train to be an english teacher.

I know many teachers,most did the tefl course at text and talk academy,some at cmu.

Many reccommend text and talk and a few say cmu is better.text and talk is 44000 baht whereas cmu is 52000.

Would a school prefer a tefl from one or the other? or is the tefl the the most important requirement as opposed to where you aquire it from.

any help is much appreciated

both abt the same really

May I ask just a rough range figure on what salary a cert like these would bring a teacher?

Typically non-trained teachers in chiang mai may earn about 250 baht an hour. No teach, no pay!

I'm not totally sure what difference to money having a cert will make here. Perhaps up to 300 baht, more likely that you'll be somewhat more in demand. Money for teachers in chiang mai is truly awful.

The main thing about doing a cert (here in chiang mai that is) is that it will make the job more likely to be a fruitful one than an unsystematic and often demanding job.

May I ask just a rough range figure on what salary a cert like these would bring a teacher?

Typically non-trained teachers in chiang mai may earn about 250 baht an hour. No teach, no pay!

I'm not totally sure what difference to money having a cert will make here. Perhaps up to 300 baht, more likely that you'll be somewhat more in demand. Money for teachers in chiang mai is truly awful.

The main thing about doing a cert (here in chiang mai that is) is that it will make the job more likely to be a fruitful one than an unsystematic and often demanding job.

Thank You for the info

I was actually just thinking of something to do.

I would actually be further in the country

Monthly salaries range from around 24,000 - 33,000 THB in a Thai private school. There are around 20 private educational institutions in Chiang Mai. Around 7 employ large numbers of foreign teachers (10-30 teachers). Universities tend to pay far less but government schools only slightly less. Many teachers have a full-time job plus a few hours per week in a language school which pays the rent. It's difficult to spend 30K per month in CM unless you are eating farang food every day and drinking beer every day.

Femi Fan

You criticised T&T and CMU although I'm sure you never attended either course. You admit you are a teacher trainer. You push CELTA like a southern-states born-again religious loony. Long shot (sarcasm) here: Are you propagating CELTA propaganda on us because you work for CELTA?

Edited by Loaded

Monthly salaries range from around 24,000 - 33,000 THB in a Thai private school. There are around 20 private educational institutions in Chiang Mai. Around 7 employ large numbers of foreign teachers (10-30 teachers). Universities tend to pay far less but government schools only slightly less. Many teachers have a full-time job plus a few hours per week in a language school which pays the rent. It's difficult to spend 30K per month in CM unless you are eating farang food every day and drinking beer every day.

Thank You that is pretty good. Like I said it is mainly to have something to do.

I would go nuts just hanging around while my wife is at work. :o

Thanks

Femi Fan

You criticised T&T and CMU although I'm sure you never attended either course. You admit you are a teacher trainer. You push CELTA like a southern-states born-again religious loony. Long shot (sarcasm) here: Are you propagating CELTA propaganda on us because you work for CELTA?

I criticised t and t, and cmu did i? That's news to me loaded. Could you point out how i've managed to do this?

I don't 'admit' anything. I openly but belatedly pointed out i was a teacher trainer since by that time it seemed appropriate to give background to my comments on this thread.

You talked about a 'war' here, yet seem to be the one that wants one with your rather subjective and wrong judgments about myself... me 'pushing' CELTA like a 'southern-states born-again religious loony'???! What? Fancy language, even if US-centric, but nothing more than that.

I don't work for CELTA, nor have i ever done. I actually teach a certificate course in TESOL, yet i happen to be recommending other courses and mentioning stuff i've heard about other courses, all in line with helping posters make decisions here. I've not pushed the course i do, nor will i.

'propagating CELTA propaganda'... ah, wonderful stuff. If only i were paid to be doing all this stuff your imagination has conjured up.

Now, how come you've got a bee in your bonnet? Why do you appear to have something against CELTA, a course i did myself back in 1993 in bangkok, and one with which i'm familiar with down the years. I personally believe it to be the best of all the courses i know about, for reasons i've already stated on this thread. What's your beef over this course? Is it british?

Now, reign yourself in lad.

I believe I was the first in this thread to refer to "TEFL Wars," in post #28. I said something positive about the three TEFL courses I know something about in Chiang Mai. I have thought, personally, that CELTA is overrated in the 21st century, but the times I've been mistaken for poor hand coordination, only my rehab neurologist knows for sure. Bye now, y'all. :o

SEE's primary instructor, John Quinn, is excellent. I never have heard a negative response by a graduate, and I have met at least thirty of them. Yes, it is near McCormick, across from Prince Royal's.

The CMU course is relatively new. I once worked with its director, but do not know their instructors.

Once you take any reasonably well organized TEFL course in Thailand and gain experience, I seriously doubt that employers outside Thailand will pass over your application merely because you did not earn a CELTA. Honestly, the precise TEFL course you take will not make five percent difference in your hiring chances, a few years down the road. What will matter is your formal education, your teaching experience, your recommendations, your interview, and your demo lesson.

But just as honestly, CELTA also has a reputation of being unnecessarily harsh and demanding. You can only cram so much into a human brain in four weeks, and almost all the TEFL courses do a great job of preparing you to teach.

Interesting comments to read.

I would say though that some people take courses here in thailand, but only then to return home to teach. In such cases i maintain that doing the CELTA is the best option.

I think a 'harsh, demanding' course is excellent preparation and introduction to the life of being an english teacher. If participants can't deal with doing the four week course, then they're unlikely to be able to deal with the job itself.

Probably almost all TEFL courses do a good job, but certainly not all. I've heard more than a few negative comments about various courses down the years. I know that it's mostly down to the instructors, so one institution may be 'bad' today, and 'good' tomorrow.

I did the CELTA and it does seem to have a lot of respect with employers. They would always mention that it went a lot further towards hiring a teacher than anything other than an actual degree in language teaching. :o

Femi Fan

*** 1. I criticised t and t, and cmu did i? That's news to me loaded. Could you point out how i've managed to do this?

I don't 'admit' anything. I openly but belatedly pointed out i was a teacher trainer since by that time it seemed appropriate to give background to my comments on this thread.

*** 2. You talked about a 'war' here, yet seem to be the one that wants one with your rather subjective and wrong judgments about myself... me 'pushing' CELTA like a 'southern-states born-again religious loony'???! What? Fancy language, even if US-centric, but nothing more than that.

I don't work for CELTA, nor have i ever done. *** 3. I actually teach a certificate course in TESOL, yet i happen to be recommending other courses and mentioning stuff i've heard about other courses, all in line with helping posters make decisions here. I've not pushed the course i do, nor will i.

'propagating CELTA propaganda'... ah, wonderful stuff. If only i were paid to be doing all this stuff *** 4. your imagination has conjured up.

Now, how come you've got a bee in your bonnet? Why do you appear to have something against CELTA, a course i did myself back in 1993 in bangkok, and one with which i'm familiar with down the years. I personally believe it to be the best of all the courses i know about, for reasons i've already stated on this thread. What's your beef over this course? Is it british?

Now, reign yourself in lad.

Lols, but anyway...

*** 1. Wrong. You wrote "I've heard more negative comments about text and talk than good comments. I've not heard too many good ones about the cmu course either." and "Text and talk do not do an internationally recognised certificate course. I'm not too sure on how recognised the cmu one is either outside of thailand." YOUR words me dear. :D

*** 2. Wrong. You just made that up. As PB has already said, it was him not me. No mention of 'TEFL wars' from me me dear. :D

*** 3. And on a thread named 'Best TEFL Course in Chiang Mai' your course hasn't been mentioned by a happy customer (Is it the course that can only run 1 course per year in Chiang Mai? SIT down me lovey) although SEE TEFL, CMU TEFL, T&T TEFL and CELTA have all had positive posts from happy customers. It must really hurt me dear. :D

*** 4. Wrong. You wrongly accused me of saying something I didn't (TEFL wars). You wrongly accused CMU TEFL of something (post 23) which only seems to exist in your own imagination as well me dear. :D

:o

I did the CELTA and it does seem to have a lot of respect with employers. They would always mention that it went a lot further towards hiring a teacher than anything other than an actual degree in language teaching. :o

I think you mentioned before that you haven't taught for 10 years. Mayyyybbbeeeee the world has moved on UG.

I considered moving to Mexico. I read Daves ESL forum for Mexico. The teachers and employers there have heard of CELTA, but it does not appear to be so much better that they would not accept a cert earned in Thailand or Mexico, just as easily. Even a Thai CELTA cert would need an apostille to be valid in Mexico.

Repeating, and I think this applies world-wide: Once you have a year or two of good experience, at least a bachelor's degree from a real uni, good interview skills, references that can be checked, and a good demonstration class, it hardly matters where you earned your TEFL certification. After six years here, I recommend SEE.

I think you mentioned before that you haven't taught for 10 years. Mayyyybbbeeeee the world has moved on UG.

Maybe, but I have not aged a day. :D

• 3 weeks later...
My understanding is that only CELTA OR Trinity are internationally recognised period

According to them anyway.

If this were true (which it isn't), the Internet would be full of stories of teachers with Thai TEFLs being refused work in countries around the world (there isn't). Don't believe CELTA propaganda. Thai TEFLs are accepted worldwide. If you disagree, show me some evidence.

Edited by Loaded

I did not say Thai TEFLs are not accepted in many places - but CELTA or TRINITY ARE the recognised standard and accepted by international MoEs and Thai ones may not be - you obviously have a Thai Cert. and are naturally defensive or are trying to SELL your course - of course that would not lead to biase would it?

I did not say Thai TEFLs are not accepted in many places - but CELTA or TRINITY ARE the recognised standard and accepted by international MoEs and Thai ones may not be - you obviously have a Thai Cert. and are naturally defensive or are trying to SELL your course - of course that would not lead to biase would it?

If I were selling something it would help to mention the product's name, wouldn't it. So you are wrong there.

You still haven't shown any evidence that these qualifications are the 'only' (your words in your previous post) qualifications internationally recognised because you can't.