Brown V White Rice And Black

desertrat

It seems it's a no brainer that white rice has had all the nutrition beaten out of it, and is only carbohydrate, whereas brown rice has all the goodies..so why do we rarely see brown rice eaten in the Orient?

Also I have some black rice..not sure how to cook it..any ideas please..I am extremely limited as my wok post shows.

Edited by desertrat

White rice cooks more quickly than brown rice, might be a reason not to cook as much Asian cooking is based on speed, stir-fry etc.

At home I tend to use a mixture of brown and polished white rice - in the rice cooker it's fine.

Black Rice - generally within Thailand used within a sweet dish. Soak it for 3-6 hours before cooking.

I like it with either peanuts or dried honey soaked bananas - typically steamed in banana leaves sold at 3 for 10 Baht in the market.

Some links: Google Search - Thoughts on Black Rice.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know the nutritional quality of black rice (i would guess sticky, my local market in sanglaburi has one black rice but no browns) - is it similar to brown as one would guess or isit not all that different and not worth the bother? I can buy cooked white or cooked white sticky at many places, with the black i will have to hire a cook. thanks

One time When I went shopping at Bandu marker, I wanted to buy brown rice and was told it was for old people by my Thai friend. I said I like the taste and she said you are old. Don't know if this is what most Thais think but it is what I was told.

BTW, I have always like brown rice

I bought a bag of brown rice and my wife fixed it ONE time. I asked her what happened to my brown rice and she told me that brown rice was only fit for chickens to eat and that she fed it to the chickens. I thought it tasted just fine.

I bought a bag of brown rice and my wife fixed it ONE time. I asked her what happened to my brown rice and she told me that brown rice was only fit for chickens to eat and that she fed it to the chickens. I thought it tasted just fine.

Yep. My girlfriend says brown rice is for people in jail :o:D Only for poor people. There you have it. It's a status symbol.

And I too bought a bag of brown rice one time which dissapeared... Maybe sent to the prison :D

Edited by byoung2

I keep my brown rice apart from the other food and cook it separately.

I mainly use it in risotto type dishes where the meat is cooked in the rice and then the vegetables added towards the end of cooking.

It's particularly nice reheated the next day and eaten on bread and butter. (Sceadugenga's Thai butty fusion cuisine).

Edited by sceadugenga

You would only need to worry about the nutritional deficiency of white rice if your diet was devoid of other foods containing fibre, vitamins and minerals. It's better to just eat whatever rice you find tastes nicest and make sure you get your 5-a-day of fruit and vegetables. Brown rice isn't a panacea of good health and it tastes grim.

Edited by edwardandtubs