If you could own your own business...

mrentoul

In the course of living here most people have probably come across a business, potential investment or hobby and thought: 'If I had the time and money I'd love to do that.''

These ideas don't have to be as bold as a muitli-million baht Subway eatery in Silom; they could be a simple start-up which you could run with your girlfriend or a few Thai staff, exploiting a long-term interest or skills you've built over over your career. Your bright idea could even run to something you'd like to do to help people.

I'm particularly interested in hearing about business ventures you've come across which are run by or owned by westerners, but which employ Thai staff.

Here's my bright idea. I'm a print journalist who enjoys writing, so I guess it's only natural I should be drawn to print products.

People tell you that Thais don't read, but I don't believe it. Judging by the number of titles available, there is no shortage of newspaper and magazine readers.

One thing I'd love to do before I die is own and run a small magazine...and there's one which I've seen here which I particularly like. It's a Thai-language magazine, published every two weeks on ordinary newsprint, called Koo Sang Koo Som (helpmate). It's owned by a senator who's been doing it for years.

A Thai friend tells me that it's hugely popular and of course it provides the senator with plenty of profile-raising opportunities (he appears in it often).

The best stories come from readers, who send them in. Another regular feature talks about people who start poor but end up rich, through perseverence.

Cheesy? Yes, a little. It's at the low end of the market (just 20 baht), as the production values attest: the type smudges easily, the pictures are hard to make out and so on. But as I say, it's popular and would keep me more than busy.

If this title is at the lower end of the Thai-language magazine market, then the magazines which contain print versions of TV-series scripts would probably occupy the next rung. Above that are magazines aimed at young people on television, rock and movie stars.

In the middle of the market is a smart-looking bunch of magazines, many printed by Amarin publishing house, on house and garden, health and beauty (these ones cost about 50 baht). Above that again you have magazines with an international look, such as Vogue, Image and so on.

None of that is for me. I want cheap, simple, and popular: Koo Sang Koo Som would do just nicely, if ever the senator wants to step down.

http://www.koosangkoosom.com/frontweb/about.asp

I'm particularly interested in hearing about business ventures you've come across which are run by or owned by westerners, but which employ Thai staff.

Let me put this more snappily: what do westernern business-owners do here apart from run language schools?

A Thai friend of mine works for a small import/export company in Chon Buri which is owned by westerners. As I understand it, they supply goods to ships: something akin to provedores, I guess. It's been a few weeks since I spoke to my friend, but I think he said they employ about 20 staff.

Someone needs to star selling/manufacturing the Purell hand sanitizer which works without water.  

Basically, it is jellied isopropyl alchohol, which is what surgeons use to wash up with before surgery.

You can make this stuff dirt cheap and it would be great for reducing infections in thailand, where so many bathrooms are unsanitary.

Cultural differences seem to explain why some ideas do not get off the ground.

In the West, shops selling second-hand goods can do very well. Here, the market for second-hand goods barely exists, despite the fact that Thailand is not a wealthy country.

Maybe Thais do not like the idea of handling goods that someone has already used. I am sure furniture stores such as Index would agree.